AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a problem with my Mitsubishi VR-900 Receiver!

It shuts down after only a few minutes whenever I play it too loud, (Maybe 90% of full power)

Powering Five Definitive Tech speakers rated at 250 watts.

Center and Front speakers set to LARGE. Rear Speakers set to SMALL. Separately powered subs in the left and right front speakers.

The dealer says I need more power, I say it's a lousy AMP.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
"The dealer says I need more power, I say it's a lousy AMP."

I am afraid the dealer may be more right than you are. The Def Techs can drop into the 4 ohm range, making them a difficult load for most lo-fi to mid-fi receivers to handle. With 3 speakers set to large, you are probably exceeding the limits of your receiver.

The fact that you are hitting the 90% power level (what value are you hitting on the receiver's volume scale?) means that the receiver does not have enough power to drive the 4 ohm loads. Pushing a receiver to this limit will most likely cause distortion, which is another reason to add on an amplifier, provided the VR-900 has preamp outputs.

Michael

·
Registered
237 Posts
If that's not it, then check the speaker wire connections to make sure no copper isn't blatantly exposed or touching other wire.

·
Registered
366 Posts
This one is obvious but may be over looked....make sure the amp can breathe (a few inches all around it), and make sure there is no gear stacked on it :) Does it get hot before it shuts down?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I run at about 65 on the volume scale...70 is Max.

Yes the unit gets a little warm, I've got it in a cabinet but run it with the door open when i'm playing it loud. I'm using 12 Ga. stranded copper wire, the polarity is right and all individual strands are in the screw connector.

The Mitsi manual says the AMP puts out 100 watts/channel in surround mode but with 1% THD!

That sounds like alot to me.

My buddy says buy a Denon 3802 and all my troubles

will go away.

·
Registered
842 Posts
A good rule of thumb with the receivers...

If you turn the volume nob past 12:00 you might be asking for trouble.

100 watts with 1% distortion... that is not a lot of power. Many amps are in decimal points for distortion for 100s of watts more.

100 watt per channel receiver are usually limited to running small speaker set to small. The def techs do drop on the Ohm scale when you push them.

Seperate amp would cure all your woes... strapping an external amp to a Mitsubishi receiver...??? Take a look around for other receivers if that is what fits your system.

I used to have Def Tech BP2000. One of my friends has PB30s and 20a. Def TEch towers will definatly reward you with more volume and visereal impact when fed seperates amp power.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The problem could be the center channel. The unit works fine with the center speaker disconnected. The dealer gave me a replacement speaker today and it still doesn't work. After logging the problem with Mitsi, they will credit the dealer and I will get credit towards a new receiver. The Mitsi has 6 ohms Max but that should be within the realm of the Def Tech's? (The manual says 8 is OK, but 4 is better) makes me glad I did'nt purchase at Curcuit City!

What reciever should I buy?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.