AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the specs for the Lightware LX8, they seem quite similar to the LT150.

http://www.lightware.com/site/lx8.html

And the price is right! Anyone know what's the same and what's different between the two?

------------------

This is not a .sig

·
Registered
267 Posts
On paper the specs do look similar. There's no mention of the PC card reader that the NEC has (not that you'd ever need it). The Lightware does include different accessories: more cables, AAA batteries for the remote which means the remote is different than the "credit card" remote of the NEC.

If the price is really $2695, that's not much different than the $2700 that Alan is charging for the NECs.

------------------

Tom L.
my-soontobe-home-theater

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
all true http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

But I'm guessing the 'street price' may well be significantly lower than $2695 - what's the list price for a LT150?

Chris

ps whenever I read 'street price', I always think that's the price if one were buying 'merchandise' on a street corner. Is that just me? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

This is not a .sig

·
Registered
45 Posts
It looks like the Lightware has a zoom which the 150 does not. The literature does not say, however, whether it has the vortex technology which is what makes the video on the 150 so good. Anyone know?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Projector Central says its the same as the Sharp MG10X and Mitsu X30. Both of them are based on the same Plus light engine that the NEC LT150 has, but there are some significant differences.

See some of the messages from Steve Dodds.

The NEC has Vortex processing, which is a significant improvement in image processing. The Sharp/Mits/Lightware doesnt. Also the NEC can support HDTV and 480p, it doesn't look like the Lightware will. And the NEC has many HDTV/video specific settings that improve the picture quality.

Anyways, I think Lightware may be a bargain brand owned by some other brande (Plus?)....thus you can buy their products already discounted online, but you won't find dealers reselling them as they're already priced at "street price".... I doubt you'll find this at much of a discount off of the price on the site. Other vendors have multiple brands selling the same units as well, most notably Infocus/Boxlight/Proxima, most of the time at different MSRPs, but similar street prices.

If its even close in price, get the NEC LT150.

-Dave

·
Registered
197 Posts
Question is, is it the same bulb? Its only $389 on the site!

Does anyone know if the LT150 will work with the Sharp 10X/Mitsu X30/Lightware LX8 bulbs?

That would just be sweet if replacement bulbs could be had for $389! This just keeps getting better and better!

-Dave

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info, Dave... I guess I should have done a little more digging before I posted!

So the next slightly off-topic question, is what is this magical VORTEX technology, exactly? All the NEC site says is: "ProvidesÊimprovedÊuniformity,Êcolor,ÊdepthÊandÊde tail for dataÊand videoÊimages".

Am I caught up in the hype, or is the LT150 the projector that will bring front projection to the hoi polloi (including me)?

------------------

This is not a .sig

·
Registered
197 Posts
Steve Dodds posted a week or so ago that the NEC projector w/vortex he purchased was significantly better for video than the Sharp version without it. I think they were otherwise the same projector. He seemed to believe Vortex was indeed something proprietary that improved the picture a lot.

Anyways, I'd still go for the NEC LT150, even if it was a few hundred $ more.

-Dave

·
Registered
45 Posts
Great catch on the bulbs Dave. My guess is that the Liteware is built on the same chasis with the same bulb as the 150, especially since the lumen output is identical.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Keep in mind the NEC has a 2-year InstaCare warranty... overnight replacement if any problems develop, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can Alan or anyone do us a deal on these bulbs? I will buy this LT150 and a gross of bulbs in one shot from him if they are cheap enough. 3-9 bulbs just for me if they go low enough. Lowest price I have seen right now is $484. Big whoop. I know darn well this bulb doesn't cost the same price as a 27" tv, so why would I want to pay $500 or close to it. I really want this projector but not with the bulbs this high. And at say $100 - 250 a bulb NEC wouldn't be able to beat us off with a stick they'd sell so fast.

------------------

version: 2.0.1-002-000

TiVo A: 30 hr single drive Philips TiVos Unhacked

(cable box) TiVo B: same but no cable box

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I own a NEC VT540 with "Vortex" technology. From what I can determine, it is a table of scaler parameters within the projector firmware. Someone has patiently explored the optimal scaler settings for the various video modes you might be driving to the various projector inputs, and the optimal way to scale these to the native panel resolution.

I must say it seems to work very well. The latest VT540 firmware even has a new setting for 480i NTSC which produces very decent results - I compared a tweeked Cinemaster 2000 via progressive VGA to the Hollywood+ interlaced S-video output and checked out the test patterns on the Avia DVD. There was a slight softening to edges in the S-video picture but color fidelity, grayscale tracking, and overall contrast did not suffer at all. Remarkable, but in the end I tweeked the straight-through [email protected] mode to something I liked even better.

Bottom line: the performance advantage to the HTPC source is still there, but slimmer than ever before with these NEC "Vortex" projectors.

Gary

[This message has been edited by Gary McCoy (edited 07-16-2001).]

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Someone call?

It looks to me like the Lightware is another clone of the Plus U3-1080. I strongly suspect the 'Hyperzoom' is a digital zoom similar to the keystone correction.

I've had a couple of Sharp Plus clones and now have an NEC. The picture is indeed better with the NEC, which I can only assume is due to the Vortex technology.

The Vortex technology improves the scaling on my LT85, and I would guess would be even more important with an XGA projector. It also seems to produce more vibrant colors and better blacks, althogh the contrast ratio is the same.

Being able to turn off the white segment is also a good thing.

At the price Ala is selling these puppies for, I'm going to upgrade to the XGA model. I really can't see much point in buying one of the clones now.

Cheers

Steve

------------------
Steve's Stuff

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
As I understand it, Lightware used to be an independent company but was purchased by PLUS in December 2000. How this relates to the models I do not know.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tlastrange:
There's no mention of the PC card reader that the NEC has (not that you'd ever need it).
You gotta be kidding, tlastrange! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I love the PC Card feature. I use it as a slide show while the systems are warming up or during rest(room) periods. The photoshop retouched images blew everyone away equally as the DVD images on the LT150! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

- Balance Between

- Quality & Price!

------------------

Editor of the Skyworth FAQ page at:

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/003495.html

·
Registered
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary McCoy:
From what I can determine, it is a table of scaler parameters within the projector firmware. Someone has patiently explored the optimal scaler settings for the various video modes you might be driving to the various projector inputs, and the optimal way to scale these to the native panel resolution.
Gary, I really doubt that is all there is to the Vortex. I believe it is a hardware+firmware implementation based on my experience. I've had a few times the unit powering up in "ultra-bright" mode as if someone had taken a "mask" off the front lid (read some of my past posts). The only way to correct it when that happened was if I powered down and repowered up. I think that is when my Vortex engine failed to fire up. Has anyone taken an LT150 apart...this will help to confirm. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

- Balance Between

- Quality & Price!

------------------

Editor of the Skyworth FAQ page at:

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/003495.html

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well the Vortex stuff does sound like a clinching deal for me - even though I don't know how marketing could come up with 'Vortex' as the name for it. Maybe it's akin to the total perspective vortex. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif Also, the bulbs do seem a little expensive. I second the motion for ~$250 bulbs.

Now to study up on the GAF.....

------------------

This is not a .sig

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes, I think the same lamp cartridge is used on all Plus U3-1080 clones. I received LT150 and it has the same lamp cartridge as my Mitsubishi X30.

------------------

-------

Regards,

-Gavrilych

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yes, but did you take the bulb out of the X30 and verify that it does indeed work in the LT150? There could very well be ID resistors built inside the casings that might be specific to the manufacturer. They could actually fit but still not work.

The real test is to plug and hopefully play.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.