AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of months ago, I built my own screen frame from ideas on this forum. The screen frame is 120" 4:3 and weighs about 15 lbs. All the parts for it came from
http://www.outwater.com/aluminumframing.htm

I used the economy AT-1 aluminum along with the plastic connectors. The square aluminum tubes come in various sizes. A hacksaw, rubber hammer, metal shears and some small sheetmetal screws were all that was needed to assemble the frame. My frame consists of 4 smaller frames (each 60" diagonal) connected together. I had to add some cross bracing inside each frame for rigidity since the plasic connectors only go in about 1.5-2 inches into each tube. The shears, hacksaw, and screws were used to cut and attach the cross bracing.

Once the frame was finished I mounted a 3/4" wide by 1/4" thick strip of wood to the front of the frame using some small sheet metal screws. My screen ( a Home Depot drop cloth) was stapled to this wooden strip.

The total cost was about $75 for all materials and about 3 hours of labor to assemble everything and attach the screen. The aluminum framing system works very well and can be used to make a fixed lightweight screen of any size. It can easily be taken apart and modified to make a screen bigger or smaller.

I'll take some pictures and try to post them in the next few days.

-- John

·
Registered
16 Posts
I found that website a few weeks ago and thought about doing the same thing.

Dalite has the da snap system that comes with a frame and screen. The frame is powdercoated and the screen is attached via snaps (buttons) that are on the back of the frame so they are not visible.

The dalite permwall is similar, but snaps to the front of the frame so they are visible close up.

I was thinking about getting a custom cut da lite screen for around $150 -$250 depending on material (52x92" viewable), making my own aluminum frame using those easy to use plastic elbows etc and getting snaps/buttons from home depot to complete it just like the da-snap screen.

I figure you'd get the same result by DIY frame for much less cost. I figure for $300 you'd end up with a da-snap like setup that goes for $780 retail.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm one of those riff-raff who recently picked up a Panasonic AE100.

Now that my projector is here I'm looking for a screen. Kinda backwards...but there you go.

I keep hearing about the wrinkles that crop up in Da-light model b screens after a year or so.

So I'm thinking of a fixed screen.

How do you think your aluminum frame would handle the tension of a lace and grommet style screen?

Are there other suitable bits to make up an aluminum lace and grommet screen?

(Off hand I'm thinking of the Ultimate Support Thinker Toys stuff...I haven't got prices for them...but I have bits I could use from old Ultimate Support Keyboard stands that I have laying around.)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I stretched my fabric quite a bit and it sits very tight on the screen. Depending on the size and reinforcements that you put on the frame, you should have no problem doing a lace and grommet version. If you plan to buy a screen that is already grommetted then lacing it up should be easy.

I initially tried grommetting the Home Depot drop cloth but found that it rips pretty easily so I gave up on that approach. Stapling to the frame turned out to be much easier than I thought it would be. The key was to make sure that things were stretched well across the whole frame.

The aluminum tubing is fairly thin but quite rigid. I found it pretty easy to use sheet metal screws to attach braces to it. I'm planning to use screw grommets to attach a grommet screen to the aluminum frame. The screw grommets have a base which goes into the aluminum frame. Then there is a fastener which goes into the base. The grommet on the screen will go through the fastener. Should be a good fit. The screw grommets are used in many cars for attaching interrir trim and finish to the car frame. They are pretty easy to use and cheap to get and come in varoius colors. Take a look at the following link to get some ideas.
http://www.thecliplink.com/screw_retainers.htm

In this case, lacing would not be needed.

-- John

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Alright I'm going for it. I ordered my Screen material from Jason today and will be in touch with the aluminum frame people shortly to place my order.

I will let you guys know how this turns out(fingers are crossed).

For spec purposes the endresult will be a Dalite Cinemavision screen 58x104 viewable area with 4" black border all around.

Greg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.