Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Story

Sunday I cancelled my long-time back-ordered Panny 37†6UY and went looking from something that would ship soon, not 5 or 10 weeks from now. I already have a Pio 43†HD panel, so I’m not looking for a Super Bowl time shipment. Also, the way the Panny delay was going, it was going to be obsolete before I received it!

Sunday night I surfed for hours looking for a good panel, at a good price, from a good source. A “good source†includes one that is a factory authorized dealer.

I stumbled onto a well known and highly regarded internet store (even highly regarded here on avsforum, as I read all posts referencing the store, and all were “positiveâ€).

Actually, they have a brick and mortar store too. The name of the brick-and-mortar store is not the same as the well known internet store because there was no internet when they opened for business in 1908!!! Their internet site was established in 1994. They will take orders over the phone too… onecall will do the job.

Anyway… they had many models of “DEMO†Sharp panels available at almost too-good-to-be-true prices. But maybe they were dead-pixel laden, or refurbs, or ???

I saw that they opened at 6:00am (PST), so I decided to make “one call†at 6:00am SHARP (no pun intended) to find out why these Sharp units had such great prices.

A very courteous person answered my call. Here is the deal.

They acquired the Sharp hardware that was used at the recent CES show.

They are an authorized Sharp dealer.

The units are referred to as “demo†units.

The units were brand new when they were shipped to Las Vegas for the CES show.

The units are sold with an “as-if-sold-new†U.S. Sharp warranty.

I ordered the Aquos LC-37HV6U (a newest model, not the …4U). Oddly enough, the …4U and the …6U are the same price on their site.

It shipped the same day (Monday). Right now, the “FedEx Freight West†tracking info shows that the shipment is in Sacramento… (I live in the Bay Area) and it is scheduled for delivery tomorrow, Wednesday!!! The shipping charge was $176.00. It turns out to be coming “second day†(due to the short two State hop I guess). It was shipped via FedEx trucking ground freight).

Here is the really good part…

The price was about $1,000.00 LESS than the lowest price unit (same unit, but new of course) that I was able to find out there in cyber-space (or anywhere else).

Please note that I did NOT mention the price. However, these are technically “used†(demo) units… so there shouldn’t be any reason why I should not be able to mention the price.

The Sharp units can be found via a link on their site’s “Clearance†tab (or just do a search). The Aquos LC-37HV6U is Sharp’s latest model… so in this case “Clearance†does not have the usual meaning.

Why am I buying an LCD over a Plasma? I already have a Plasma display. Also, I want to use the LCD for my wife’s notebook PC (the Aquos LC-37HV6U has 1366x768 [square] pixels) because her eye-sight is extremely poor. It can be viewed comfortably from about 4 to 30 feet (depending on which chair you choose). It will be installed in a very sunny room (in an armoire). I currently have a Sony 21†(std def) set in this armoire, hooked to a Panasonic HD STB (a bit of a waste). I have seen HD on the Aquos LC-37HV6U in a similarly sunny room, and it looked awesome.

After blabbing on and on about my “good dealâ€, it will probably show up DOA tomorrow!!! Then again, I may be watching the Super Bowl on two great HD panels at the same time. Only time will tell.

Cheers,

Chris Wood

Santa Cruz (Mountains)

·
Registered
644 Posts
Those ARE good prices for the Sharp LCDs.

Too bad I have no budget for another flat screen at this time. :)

Spleen

·
Registered
407 Posts
Let us know how well your notebook to LCD connection goes. I see Powerstrip in your notebook's future.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by medmannj
how is it a thousand less for the demo unit when you can buy a new one from the SAME outfit for only 500 more. Am I missing something?

I do too like the 37" aquos
Medmanmj

That was a ...4U, not 6U (both are 37"). But... I noticed that the prices on some models have changed a bit.

Also, I see that they are now mentioning "Special pricing on AQUOUS display models demo'ed at the CES Expo" on this page w1.onecall.com/FlatPanelDisplays.htm (see the "clickable" text and graphic images of a ...4u).

I see the ...6U that I bought is only available (for $1.5k more) through their retail store.

Regards

moderator note- no problem giving the name but retail links are not allowed

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just called FexEx freight, and they are going to let me "inspect the box" and pick it up at their depot using my Van.

I live in heaven, which is up in the mountains (facing Monterey bay). The last 2 miles to my house is "one lane for both directions". That is the same reason I picked up my Pio 43" HD plasma display at a depot (brand-x trucking in that deal).

The FedEx guy physically verified that the shipment was actually there AND he looked over the box (which I did not ask him to do).

When he got back to the phone I mentioned needing to inspect the box, blah, blah, blah. He said I would be happy, because he already checked it out!

He says a lot of people pick up their expensive (and bulky) items for the same reason. A lot of people in Santa Cruz county live in the heaven district (i.e. the incredibly beautiful mountain areas with one lane roads).

Cheers

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GREAT!

I hope you have the same (pleasant) experience that I had.

I know that some people are afraid to buy a plasma or LCD unit over the internet (and for some that might be the right thing for them to do).

But I buy a lot on the internet (including a plasma display and an LCD display) and I have never had a problem. The "Panny delay" I mentioned was a "supply issue" that was out of the internet vendor's hands... and they told me (before I ordered) that it might be several weeks or more before they would receive new stock from Panasonic. I placed my "back-order" with that knowledge. So even there, the internet vendor was "good".

Hey... I better get ready to pickup my display (I'm sitting here in my PJ's and robe at 8am)!!!

After I wag it home I have to go directly to hell. One district of Hell is located in the area surrounding the South end of the SF Bay.

Unfortunately, I have to work in hell in order to live in heaven.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by khomotso
Perhaps prices have changed, but I found that if I clicked on the "Check for Today's best Price" on a non-demo model 37HV4U, it was only $50 more than the Clearance price for a demo model. However much of a deal it may have been originally, it seems to have vanished.

While we're at it, someone refresh my memory, since it's not jumping out at me from reading the tech specs: what's the difference between the HV4U and the HV6U?
4U - side speakers

6U - bottom speakers

http://www.sharpusa.com/products/Typ...56,s67,00.html

Bill

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From downloading the manuals, I can quickly recall a few differences

6U's Speakers are underneach as you mentioned (and ARE removable like 4U's). This was good in my case, because the armoire in the study was not purchased specifically for a display. Tthe armoire for the Pio 43 HD was purchased specifically for the size of the Pio. You can see the Pio here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...96#post1078496

(look for "chriswood").

Can remember setup info for each input (4U can not)

Has one more input

Has same glass, but different electronics

6U has 3 cables from box to panel, not two (amp was moved)

6U has more configuration options

Someone said the 6U had higher contrast ratio... I will check that out. Note that the method for measuring brightness/contrast for LCD's is different than for Plasma panels... this causes the LCD displays to appear substantially inferior to Plasma. This is not the case. Read up on this on other posts (and different sites).

Gotta go (pick it up) now

******* I will post the length of the "stock" cables when I get back home. ******

Chris Wood

Santa Cruz (Mountains)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sorry, Bill. I deleted my earlier post when I realized the same information about pricing had already been covered. But thanks for the response.

I also now note that the HV6U lists a 700:1 contrast ratio, while the HV4U lists only a 500:1 contrast ratio.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just unpacked the unit.

Everything looks brand new, except that several of the little plastic bags containing cables were torn open.

The standard cable

leading from the media box to the panel is

9.5 feet (3 meters) long.

I just layed it on 1' tiles to make a

quick rough measurement.

Regards,

Chris Wood

Santa Cruz (Mountains)

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by khomotso
Sorry, Bill. I deleted my earlier post when I realized the same information about pricing had already been covered. But thanks for the response.

I also now note that the HV6U lists a 700:1 contrast ratio, while the HV4U lists only a 500:1 contrast ratio.
I see Sharp claiming 800:1 for both panels at the link I provided.

Bill

·
Registered
40 Posts
Folks,

Can anyone cofirm whether or not the backlight lamp is replaceable in the Aquos line?

I believe that I understand that these units do *not* support HCMP.

-many thanks,

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
21,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JWLaRue
Folks,

Can anyone cofirm whether or not the backlight lamp is replaceable in the Aquos line?

I believe that I understand that these units do *not* support HCMP.

Jeff
the Sharp LC 37 does support HDCP (both the 4U and 6U)

the Aquos backlight is not user replaceable: they make a similar commercial series that has this feature

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.