AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here's the deal! I'm bored with the looks of my media room. I want it to have more of a H/T feel so I'm trying to figure out how to remodel the front of the room to give it more of a "POP". One thing I would love to do is have a built in media cabinet but not quite sure how to make it happen with my limited space. Of course like all rooms, I have some obstacles that have to remain in place. My room is 14' (W) x 24' (L) x 8' (H).

One being, where my projector is mounted. I'd love to mount it closer to the back of the room for a much larger screen but the HVAC return (which is where the projector is mounted now) is in my line of sight, hence, why my projector is mounted underneath it now. Along that same line, I'm at the minimal throw distance on my projector now, just over 10' throw on a 92" screen. Just not sure what I can do to improve the look other than repaint so any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Don't know if this is what you're looking for, but for starters I'd paint the ceiling black, replace that white ceiling fan with a black one and paint that white trim under the screen (also black - or at least dark). You could also remove that trim altogether and build out the area around the screen to match that outcropping (so the screen is actually built into the wall).

I'd also remove all the toy cars and knick knacks from the shelf.

The equipment is also too evident. A nice lowboy with doors (or screens) would serve you well.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Are you able to relocate the equipment rack to somewhere other than the front of the room? If so, I'd recommend removing the chair rail from the front of the room, painting the front wall and ceiling black, and then framing the screen with (a) curtains and speakers on stands, or (b) acoustically transparent columns that can hide the speakers and subs. This would put your eye right on the screen and there would be no distractions up front.

You could also build out the front corners and move your electrical out as well. This would pull the sconces out to give it more of a dramatic effect.

Of course, all of these things come down to how crazy you want to get and how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hey Grim,

If you are talking about doing some sort of built in cabinet to put your gear into I think that would help the look. Or perhaps even put in a false wall to hide everything behind might give it more of the theater look you are after.

For your projector, I guess you might have to try and see if it makes sense, but I don't see why you couldn't move it back and just make sure the lens is inline (or just below) the level of the return duct. But, maybe it is lower than it appears in the photos.

Also, my personal preference is to hide everything. So, I'm working on my theater doing a false screen wall (I can never remember the name of that proscrinum (sp?)) and putting my speakers in columns so the walls are not completely flat and since I wanted to use di-polar speakers for the rear and surrounds. I also like the fabric wall look. So, depending on space and or level of effort you could do acoustical panels, full on GOM wrapped panels for the entire room or just some curtains or something. Heck, visit some of your local theaters and check out their wall coverings. I really like the look of one local to me (they are using curtains), but I've decided due to space to go with panels so I have a little more control on how far they protrude out from the wall.

The sky's the limit!

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
If you could relocate the equipment it makes a big difference I had my stands under the screen at first then moved everything to another room and without the lights and noise it is so much nicer. I also have the same ledge in my room and built the wall out to match the ledge so the screen is flushed into the black fabric wall. Pic is before moving the gear so now it is just the speakers up front.....well it is actually taking the next step and all being redone for full acoustic panels and full fabric walls and columns with custom built speakers behind the screen the works.

Nate

1 - 6 of 6 Posts