AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
After considerable deliberation, and a big spreadsheet, I think that I will narrow down my selection to 3 brands: the ML's from Crutchfield, the HTD's, & Emotiva. Each supplier has a great service reputation and a strong customer support policy. The prices vary by about 20% but well w/I my budget leaving room to upgrade on the sub(s) as several have suggested. On the surface of the tech data, the HTD's would seem to have an advantage but part of this advantage is due to the 6.5" woofer and I'm not sure that this size is necessary for my room size and listening volumes. Plus I haven't seen a lot of real feedback supporting the HTD's. The ML's look like a deal because of the sale pricing (Lx16 being replaced) and the fact that the new ML speakers don't seem to have much tech data advantage over the LX16's. One negative for the ML's is that they don't have a matching bipolar surround which I would prefer. Emotiva is priced well and has great AVS forum support but is somewhat of a light-wgt at 9# (B1) vs 12# for the LX16. So no clear-cut winner (for me anyway) as yet. So many great speakers out there and so little time ...
i have the b1's .. and have listened several times to the motion 15's at bb(same as lx16's).. the emotiva's seem to me to be an equal sound wise, if the motion 15 has an advantage (that's debatable) it might be the tweeter possibly is a bit smoother, but if it is it's a small margin... imo the b1's have a clearer , fuller midrange...:)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
i have the b1's .. and have listened several times to the motion 15's at bb(same as lx16's).. the emotiva's seem to me to be an equal sound wise, if the motion 15 has an advantage (that's debatable) it might be the tweeter possibly is a bit smoother, but if it is it's a small margin... imo the b1's have a clearer , fuller midrange...:)
I notice that you also have the Q100 which was another choice that I considered. How do you compare the Q100 to the B1 ?

·
Registered
57 Posts
XTZ (not-so-familiar company in US) is also making freaking good ribbon speakers, with high quality Fountek + Seas - driver kombination. I think they looks pretty good too.
Do you know if the 99 series can be purchased in the US. I don't see them in the US store. Thanks

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
I notice that you also have the Q100 which was another choice that I considered. How do you compare the Q100 to the B1 ?
they are close .. i think the b1 is slightly more neutral.. and has a better midrange clarity... the kef's handle high volume a little better( but not by a bunch)... the b1 sounds better all the way around at moderate volumes.. i would almost always pick the b1 , but it's a close call,, the times i would pick q100 would be at high volume usage for a mixed ht/ music set up...they really are "pretty close" overall...

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
After considerable deliberation, and a big spreadsheet, I think that I will narrow down my selection to 3 brands: the ML's from Crutchfield, the HTD's, & Emotiva. Each supplier has a great service reputation and a strong customer support policy. The prices vary by about 20% but well w/I my budget leaving room to upgrade on the sub(s) as several have suggested. On the surface of the tech data, the HTD's would seem to have an advantage but part of this advantage is due to the 6.5" woofer and I'm not sure that this size is necessary for my room size and listening volumes. Plus I haven't seen a lot of real feedback supporting the HTD's. The ML's look like a deal because of the sale pricing (Lx16 being replaced) and the fact that the new ML speakers don't seem to have much tech data advantage over the LX16's. One negative for the ML's is that they don't have a matching bipolar surround which I would prefer. Emotiva is priced well and has great AVS forum support but is somewhat of a light-wgt at 9# (B1) vs 12# for the LX16. So no clear-cut winner (for me anyway) as yet. So many great speakers out there and so little time ...
Looking forward to your impressions.

I watched the basketball finals in my secondary room last night, (my wife hates sports), and my 3.2 setup with LX16s and the "puny" Motion 8 center sounded outstanding.

Clear play by play, plenty of authority to the voices despite the small drivers in the center (and puny little 8" subwoofers), plenty of punch during the commercials, many with music/effects.

I use that system mainly for music but every time I use it for TV I'm impressed.

Much closer to the sound of my main HT with 7" drivers in the front three speakers and a 1250 watt 15" subwoofer than one would expect considering the vast difference in price to be honest.

So LX16s definitely worth a try with easy Crutchfield returns.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Maybe that's because they have had zero inventory for a very long time...a full year come this fall, if memory serves.

A shame because I really wanted to try out the A2.4, got on the wait list but got impatient with the "any time now" announcements that would come out once a month, followed by...crickets. ARGH!
Any idea why this keeps happening to Chane speakers? Their constant lack of inventory would keep me away from ever giving them a chance.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
@jonlane said all will be back to normal in a month or so.
One two occasions in the past 3 years, I considered budget speakers for my 5.1 TV set up and each time, when I looked at CHane, they were out of stock of the speaker I wanted to try- first time was the tower speakers, the second time was the 2.4s. So they quickly left my list pretty quickly. However, they seems to get excellent user reviews when they are available.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
Look forward to your impressions as well! Excellent choices...

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I have the HTD lvl 3 bookshelves and absolutely love them . Mid high to high end frequencies improved substantially in every aspect from the previous speakers , some mid level polks that were probably 15 years old . I listened to pretty much every bookshelf speaker magnolia had prior to the HTD 's showed up in the classifieds and I jumped on them . While I couldn't do a side by side comparison , I don't think these would fall enough behind any of those at any price that I would really hear .

as to size of the drivers in your room , bigger just means they won't have to work as hard . The cabinet size might be an issue , these bookshelves are big . That is the only thing that is making me look around for different speakers . AMT or ribbon tweeter in a box 2/3 this size ,front port with mounting location on the back = perfect for me .

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
Maybe that's because they have had zero inventory for a very long time...a full year come this fall, if memory serves.

A shame because I really wanted to try out the A2.4, got on the wait list but got impatient with the "any time now" announcements that would come out once a month, followed by...crickets. ARGH!
Last Jon Lane post i read said that they are being loaded on to the boat as of yesterday. 18 days on board ship, then a few days to unload and process on this end ... so about 25/30 days from yesterday.

FYI, seems to finally be "real".

·
Registered
16,956 Posts
Last Jon Lane post i read said that they are being loaded on to the boat as of yesterday. 18 days on board ship, then a few days to unload and process on this end ... so about 25/30 days from yesterday. FYI, seems to finally be "real".
Hmmmm, will put a reminder on my Google Calendar to check their website after July 4th then...

·
Registered
582 Posts
My VMPS RM40’s have served well for a dozen years. They are ribbon speakers par excellence, but are quite massive. The principal of VMPS sadly died a couple of years ago and the company did not survive, but if a used set come your way, I would recommend them heartily.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sunfire lines of ribbon speakers

Please do yourself a favor and check the line of Sunfire ribbon speakers, I love them, they are very small and sound way more larger than they are. Several models are available including some in-wall spakers. Build quality is top notch.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
FYI, Dennis Murphy is planning on making a traveling pair of Philharmonic BMR speakers...check out the Philharmonic thread for details. Not sure exactly how it will work, but sounds like you would pay a deposit of some type and agree to pay shipping and could have the traveling pair shipped to you, listen to them for 2-4 weeks, then Dennis would send a fed ex label to have them shipped to the next person on the list. Could be a great way to audition a EXCELLENT speaker...

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
Stumbled on this thread. I'm a huge ribbon tweeter guy. Over 30 years of searching down the speaker rabbit hole...
There has been only one lasting cure for my my upgradeitis:
Jim Salk
ah, another one who made an extensive speaker journey that ended with jim. :) jim is the cure for many of us, i think. i got mine 8 years ago, right as he was switching over to the raal. they are going nowhere. both sets of ears that live in this house are very happy (i am NOT the golden ear here, she hears so much better than i do).

jim salk + mark seaton makes for a pretty darn enjoyable setup.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
FYI, Dennis Murphy is planning on making a traveling pair of Philharmonic BMR speakers...check out the Philharmonic thread for details. Not sure exactly how it will work, but sounds like you would pay a deposit of some type and agree to pay shipping and could have the traveling pair shipped to you, listen to them for 2-4 weeks, then Dennis would send a fed ex label to have them shipped to the next person on the list. Could be a great way to audition a EXCELLENT speaker...
that’s good of dennis to do that.

i’d definitely try to get on that list if i was looking for speakers.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts