AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have a 37" 1080p LCD that I use for PC and movies. I want to buy a newer LCD or Plasma to get better contrast and blacks. The problem is I cannot afford the new 1080p Plasmas but could the 720 versions. I am leaning toward Plasma at the moment although I have seen some new LCD's with good blacks and contrast.

I like to sit close and now sit three feet from my 37" LCD for pc work. Will the 720 Plasma look bad at close distance?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Figure out how far back you will sit, find a store with the model of plasma you are considering, and stand that distance back from it. Watch it for ten minutes and decide if that amount of pixelation will bother you.

It is that simple.

·
Registered
123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teisco /forum/post/0

I now have a 37" 1080p LCD that I use for PC and movies. I want to buy a newer LCD or Plasma to get better contrast and blacks. The problem is I cannot afford the new 1080p Plasmas but could the 720 versions. I am leaning toward Plasma at the moment although I have seen some new LCD's with good blacks and contrast.

I like to sit close and now sit three feet from my 37" LCD for pc work. Will the 720 Plasma look bad at close distance?

My Plasma looked great for movies.. good with XBOX360 too.

HOWEVER, PC's and MACs really need decent desktop resolution and there's quite a notible difference.

If PC display is important, get another 1080p LCD..

IF Movies are your main goal, a 720p plasma will make you happy I think.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forgot to say that I will keep my 37" 1080p LCD for games and pc work and use the Plasma for movies. I guess I would like to hear from someone with an HDDVD or Blu Ray player and a 720p plazma and find out what is looks like close up, say 5 feet.

·
Registered
227 Posts
You are going to notice SDE sitting that close. If that will bother you then you'd better think about 1080p.

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:

I forgot to say that I will keep my 37" 1080p LCD for games and pc work and use the Plasma for movies. I guess I would like to hear from someone with an HDDVD or Blu Ray player and a 720p plazma and find out what is looks like close up, say 5 feet.

As someone suggested, go to a store and slowly back away from a 768p display, say a 50" display, until you can no longer see any SDE. That is the closest distance you will be able to view that size and resolution panel. For my eyes, that distance is close to 7-8'. Yours may be a bit different but not by much, perhaps a foot or so one way or the other.

If this is "close up" enough for you, that's good because plasma will yield the best PQ and 768p plasmas are the best buy right now.

If not, then you may want to wait as later this year a lot more 1080p plasma displays will come out and prices will drop, at least somewhat.

Good luck and cheers,

Gary

P.S. remember ... "friends don't let friends buy LCD"

·
Registered
545 Posts
What size are you looking at? Presuming 42", you should not have SDE sitting 5-6 feet away from a 42" plasma -- particularly an ALiS panel.

Remember that the pixel size is different for a 42 or 50 inch plasma. 42" models have a higher concentration of pixels per square inch, so the SDE is less pronounced until you are substantially closer to a 42", as compared with a 50".

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, I know more now and it will help with my choice.

I am one of those guys that likes to sit up close in the movie theater and when watching movies at home I want to get that effect. Sitting up close to a good display gets me more involved in the movie.

I sit three feet from my 37 1080p Westy and it looks great, but not great enough (need more blacks). I was hoping to get at least five feet from a 50 inch display but might have to go LCD or wait until I can afford a 1080p plasma.

One thing that is bugging me though. Why would one need a hugh display if they sit 12 feet back from it. Wouldn't the same effect come from sitting closer to a smaller display?

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:

Oh great, plasma has SDE. I guess back to looking at another LCD.

No No NO. Look SDE is simply the fact that when you get too close you can begin to see the individual pixels. It's called SDE because you actually see the black stripes between the pixels and at too close a distance they appear as a fine black cross hatch sort of like looking through a screen door.

LCD has that too if you are close enough.

Obviously the greater the resolution the smaller the pixels and the closer you can get without noticing SDE.

Get up within 2-4' of a typical plasma and you will clearly see it particularly in light areas as the black stripes are more apparent there.

Don't let this take you away from flat panels, plasma or LCD. Go look at the plasmas and see if from 6-7' or so things look OK to you.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

Gary

remember ... "friends don't let friends buy LCD"

·
Registered
732 Posts

Quote:

Thanks guys, I know more now and it will help with my choice.

I am one of those guys that likes to sit up close in the movie theater and when watching movies at home I want to get that effect. Sitting up close to a good display gets me more involved in the movie.

I sit three feet from my 37 1080p Westy and it looks great, but not great enough (need more blacks). I was hoping to get at least five feet from a 50 inch display but might have to go LCD or wait until I can afford a 1080p plasma.

One thing that is bugging me though. Why would one need a hugh display if they sit 12 feet back from it. Wouldn't the same effect come from sitting closer to a smaller display?

If you're going to be 5' from a 50", I'd suggest 1080p, but go into a store & stand 5' from a 768p & see what you think.

And, yes people could sit closer to thier screen to get the same immersive effect of going a larger screen. You could look at 42" and plan on sitting 4' or so away, might make the 1080p more affordable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.