AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm out of town for work and of course, as soon as I left, my wife and kids had a big problem with the theater system.

My girls were watching TV, and all of a sudden there was a loud pop out of my speakers and what they said was a fire coming out of my amp (sherbourn 7/2100). The amp has 7 channels and I'm only using 5 of them.

They turned off the TV and ran out of the living room. My wife told me it smelled like burning electronics in the living room. She did turn the TV/system back on and there appears to be sound coming from all channels of the amp with speakers hooked up.

My question is this. Is it safe for them to continue using the amp? My guess is that a cap burned up. Will a burned cap pose any further risk if t he amp is used?

TIA

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
I would not use the system. They should probably unplug it

From power, not worth the risk. My opinion.

At least until you get back.

·
Registered
7,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehr0001  /t/1468463/likely-stupid-question/0_40#post_23208522

I'm out of town for work and of course, as soon as I left, my wife and kids had a big problem with the theater system.

My girls were watching TV, and all of a sudden there was a loud pop out of my speakers and what they said was a fire coming out of my amp (sherbourn 7/2100). The amp has 7 channels and I'm only using 5 of them.

They turned off the TV and ran out of the living room. My wife told me it smelled like burning electronics in the living room. She did turn the TV/system back on and there appears to be sound coming from all channels of the amp with speakers hooked up.

My question is this. Is it safe for them to continue using the amp? My guess is that a cap burned up. Will a burned cap pose any further risk if t he amp is used?

TIA

Unplugged it all! and don't have anyone trouble shoot it over the phone, check it out yourself when you get home !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts