AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for the Kuro owners: when you are watching football, what color are the goal posts?

I've had my 5080 for about 3 weeks now (250 hrs) but the one quirk I have been noticing is that the goal posts when watching football vary from yellow (which I believe is the correct color) to lime green. Sometimes it's yellow with a slight lime green outline.

I have been using the D-Nice reference setting which seem to provide the most "yellow" goal posts. If I change the color temp from "low" to "mid" - which I think gives sports more "pop" - the goal posts become more lime green (blue shift). But even with the D-nice settings, I get some variation in the color or the lime green outline. The weird thing is that it can vary by football game or channel. Is this normal? I really don't remember seeing anything but yellow goal posts on my CRT. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Try turning saturation down to around -8 to -10 and see if that helps. Also, be sure tint is at -1 or -2 (towards red).

·
Banned
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat /forum/post/13010706

Try turning saturation down to around -8 to -10 and see if that helps. Also, be sure tint is at -1 or -2 (towards red).

I am using the D-Nice settings:

Reference Color -13, Tint -2

Superbowl: Color -9, Tint -2

With either of those settings, which are in line with your recommendations, I still see the color variation or outline. What color are the goal posts when you watch football? Are they perfectly yellow with no outlines or color variations?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
This is so true.

I know we were all talking about the blue/purple syndrome in the KURO's.

But as I have been watching the Superbowl preview shows on ESPN, sometimes the NY Giants uniforms were purple and in another clip they were the correct blue.

·
Banned
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice /forum/post/13010726

Wecome to the world of broadcast TV where everything is suppose to follow standards, but doesn't in reality. If you see lime green "sometimes" it's the broadcast source. If you see lime green "all the time", it's your equipment.

D-Nice,

Like I said, using you settings gives the most "yellow" goal posts though I still sometimes see lime green oulines or the color of the stem of the goal post will vary somewhat from the color of the fork. Do you notice this too? Also, have you ever developed what I will term "sports" settings using color temp as "mid" for the baseline? I know "mid" blue shifts the colors but it also looks more vivid for sports. For movies, Discovery channel, etc., the "low" color temp is clearly the best and most accuarate.

·
Banned
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaxx /forum/post/13010768

This is so true.

I know we were all talking about the blue/purple syndrome in the KURO's.

But as I have been watching the Superbowl preview shows on ESPN, sometimes the NY Giants uniforms were purple and in another clip they were the correct blue.

Yes, that drives me bananas too, especially given that we have two teams in the superbowl with different shades of blue in the uniform. It's just not as obvious as the lime green goal posts.

·
Registered
18,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronin /forum/post/13010811

Do you notice this too?

All the time.
Quote:
Also, have you ever developed what I will term "sports" settings using color temp as "mid" for the baseline?

I did some Superbowl settings which are located in the Settings/Issue thread.

·
Banned
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice /forum/post/13010853

All the time. I did some Superbowl settings which are located in the Settings/Issue thread.

Yes, I am using the Superbowl settings you developed, but they have color temp set to "low" as the baseline. Like I mentioned, IMO, "mid" color temp gives sports more "pop", most likely because the blue shift makes the whites "brighter" though inaccurate. Have you thought about developing a "sports only" setting that uses "mid" color temp as the baseline for that enhanced "pop"? BTW, thank you for the service you provide this forum, it is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
18,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronin /forum/post/13010915

Yes, I am using the Superbowl settings you developed, but they have color temp set to "low" as the baseline. Like I mentioned, IMO, "mid" color temp gives sports more "pop", most likely because the blue shift makes the whites "brighter" though inaccurate. Have you thought about developing a "sports only" setting that uses "mid" color temp as the baseline for that enhanced "pop"? BTW, thank you for the service you provide this forum, it is greatly appreciated.

The should not. For non-Elites, the color temp should be Mid.

·
Banned
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice /forum/post/13011232

The should not. For non-Elites, the color temp should be Mid.

I adjusted the Superbowl settings with "mid" color temp as you requested and it looks PERFECT for sports. I would suggest that you post your "Superbowl" settings as "Sports" settings right on the front page of the settings thread. To me, these setting should be the "reference setting" for sports on the Kuro's.

BTW, just to add to the insanity, I am watching highlights of the Patriots-Rams Superbowl on ESPN and the goal posts look perfectly yellow. Yet, last night I DVR'd the Partriots-Giants game from earlier this year on NFL Network and guess what? The goals posts look lime greenish or yellow with the lime green border. That settles it, there is nothing wrong with my Kuro - it's the broadcast. You would think that HD would look better, I guess not when it comes to football...

·
Registered
349 Posts
I use mid color temp for sports too. Posted a thread to share specific settings like this a few days ago but wasn't much interest lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts