AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been lucky enough to watch 5 or 6 full 1080I football broadcasts over the last few years, almost all of them NFL games. I use a Barco CRT projector with 8" tubes.

Today I'm watching the CBS college game on the LT150 since my Barco is temporarily out of commission. In most ways the LT150 looks very nice indeed. It's only when you get to the really small details where you see that the artificial "sharpness" of a digital projector can be a liability, when it adds edges that aren't really there.

On the long shots the football looks like it has straight sides instead of being ovoid. On the farthest-back stadium shots where I can make out individual people in the stands on the CRT projector, on the LT150 it looks like a lot of little red and white toothpicks sticking up out of the stands.

When the actual image contains details that are smaller than a single pixel width, the digital projector tends to create lots of little straight edges that really shouldn't be there. To me this really detracts from the much-discussed "window effect."

I wonder if the 1280x720 DLP's or the current higher-res D-ILA's show this same effect?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Jim,

Hard to say, but you are welcome to stop over and see my 9015 D-ILA with HDTV. Maybe your eyes can distinquish a difference between an analog passthrough and the Vigatec D-ILA output.

Vince

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Vince,

I'd like to try that some time. I've never had the chance to see a D-ILA in action. I use my Vigatec with the Barco, not the LT150, so the only thing I've seen going into the LT150 is the straight 1080I component output from my HDTV receiver.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.