AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - it's been a while since I've been lurking around here. I have a small space issue I'm looking into a solution for and thought there might be some creative minds that could help me out

Basically I'm running into a situation where I want to drop my projection screen down a bit, but doing so will interfere with an existing tower speaker (the one on the right). My first thought was to find a different speaker that wasn't as deep or tall, but would be comparable to the ones I have acoustically. Any thoughts? I don't think I have a lot of other options for placement with my current setup...

Currently running Energy CF-70's which are: 40.7" (103.3cm) H x 8.4" (21.2cm) W x 15.6" (39.7cm) D with feet. I'm thinking if I can find something in the neighborhood of 10" deep, or just about 30" tall to miss the projection screen when fully extended, that would be ideal.

Shots of the room - ignore the cord mess, currently installing a shelf and everything is torn apart

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Can you just pull them forward a couple inches to be flush with the edge of the wall? I am not sure if that would give you enough clearance or not. Changing the fronts would limit you to the Energy C series; a different brand would require a different center as well. The CB-20 on a stand would probably give you enough clearance, but you would probably be sacrificing some quality. I don't think the smaller towers are much shallower than the CC-70s.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should explain that I'm putting in a tensioned screen that's a bit wider and will run essentially to the wall. I'll need to stay just under about 30" if I ignore depth. If I ignore height, I'll have around 10" in front of the screen to be flush with the wall - but I could probably gain a few if I mount the new screen a few inches further back.

The CF70's could be pulled forward, but then will be sticking out into the room which would be a toe-smashing-hazard I'd like to avoid haha (not to mention it'll look a little wonky).

I'm entirely open to swapping all the speakers out (front, center, surrounds) if I can find something that fits the space better.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
If you have a decent sub, I would recommend going with bookshelves on stands. What is your budget for a new front three?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd like to stay under a grand realistically. I like the CB-20 on stands idea though, that might be the ticket.

My sub situation isn't great either to be honest. I'm currently using a compact Polk PSW111 that fits behind a chair off camera to the left. It really doesn't fill the space very well (18' ceilings, and the room is completely open to the right other than a dividing bookcase). I was looking into some of the HSU and SVS subs, but my research isn't done in that department. I'm guessing I'd need to pull in something a little beefier if I step down to the CB-20's then...

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
With $1000, you could grab a nice sub and get a pair of the CB-20s with stands. The end result would likely sound even better because you now have a much more capable sub. If you want something compact that you can tuck out of the way, but still have great bass, the SVS SB-2000 would be a fantastic choice. You will get 19Hz extension, much lower than that Polk sub, and the bass will be much more accurate and articulate. It is only a 14" cube so you should be able to fit it just about anywhere. The CB-20s are 12" tall, so you would need an 18" speaker stand to fit under the screen.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
 Stand Found at CB2 . Did you say 18" exactly? Haha.

Perfect. Thanks Transmaniacon, this has been a really efficient thread! Time to exercise the wallet and find some takers on a couple CF-70 towers and a polk sub

·
Registered
6,947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silencer00  /t/1519774/limited-depth-speakers#post_24407327

Stand Found at CB2 . Did you say 18" exactly? Haha.

Perfect. Thanks Transmaniacon, this has been a really efficient thread! Time to exercise the wallet and find some takers on a couple CF-70 towers and a polk sub

Those would work well, expensive, but definitely cool looking. You can probably make up half that $1000 selling the towers and sub, let us know how everything turns out if you make this change!

Reactions: Silencer00
1 - 9 of 9 Posts