AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm an absolute beginner and am in the process of doing research on calibration before I dip my toes in the water.

I wanted to know if there is a difference between calibrating with a limited rgb signal as opposed to with full range. Since I am going to calibrate with the HCFR internal test pattern generator, my pc is going to be the one sending the signals. I mainly plan on only using the apps in my smart tv, which I believe uses limited rgb, and I don't plan on having a computer connected to the tv at all during practical use. So when doing the calibration, should I set both my tv and graphics card to limited range rgb? Would this achieve a different calibration result than if I set them both to full range?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Set PC graphics card to 0-255, HCFR to 16-235 and tv to expect 16-235. Many graphics cards are bit perfect only when set to RGB Full, but on the contrast many TVs produce best results when calibrated while expecting limited RGB range. By setting PC GPU to RGB Full and calibration software+TV to RGB Limited you have the most foolproof method for getting the best results. Also it's good to verify the results after calibration against known external test patterns, for example AVS HD files from USB.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wouldn't this lead to crushed blacks, with values from 0 to 16 being sent from the pc all appearing as the same color?

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Wouldn't this lead to crushed blacks, with values from 0 to 16 being sent from the pc all appearing as the same color?
No, because video is normally mastered with 16 = black. Anything less than 16 is considered to be "below black".
If you mean from the desktop, than the answer would be yes. But this is an HTPC intended to reproduce video properly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts