AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

G'day everyone,

Longtime lurker to the forums, finally joined. ;-)

Looking at my first projector... basement setup, light control is not an issue. One window, covered, and projector would mostly be used in the evening to watch movies (apple tv, bluray)..not really interested in hd cable tv or gaming.

Wall to wall, i have about 11 ft or so. I have a plasma mounted on one wall, so i lose about 6 inches, id like to have a manual pull down screen come down in front of it.

Here's is my problem.. i'm limited in screen sizes, since the wall i want to project on is a bit low. about 78 in or so due to bulkhead concealing duct work. The rest of the basement is standard height.

I have AV furniture on the floor, pretty low, at about 24 inches, with a Klipsch center channel on top... which leaves me about 46 inches or so of total room vertically.

At this point, looks like i can go at most 92in diagonal...but looking at some screens i have to factor in the casing height, as well as blackout borders etc. One screen i was looking at had a total height of 59inches with an 11.75 inch top border.

I assume i can adjust the screen height a little to maximize my vertical space...but at this point, is it simply wishful thinking? I am interested in getting the Epson 5030...lens shifting is a big plus for me, as is the PQ and 3d performance. Reviews help as well.

But if all i can get is a 80-90 inch diagonal screen, not sure if its worth spending that much money, and i should simply settle for a 70 inch led...

I have checked the Epson 5030 measurements and seem to have the ability to throw the right sized image given my distance...

·
Registered
122 Posts

just a thought...

You could always make a false wall that would still be able to mount your Plasma TV and Front channel speaker. Then get an acoustically transparent screen. If you did that you wouldn't have to worry about the screen covering your front channel. Depending on how big of space would be behind your false wall you might still be far enough way not to see any screen perforation.

It might be best to post a picture or two of your working space for people to visualize the whole thing a little better.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick reply. Not sure what you mean about a false wall.

I'll post some pictures this evening.another option perhaps would be to have the screen drop down in front of my av furniture...this way I would have enough height for a full 100 inch diagonal. although now my throw distance would he reduced to about 8-9 ft..so I'd have to check whether that Epson model has enough to cover that. And I would then need a acoustic transparent screen, since my center channel would now be hidden behind the screen.

Didn't think they made those with pull-down models..only thought they were avaliable for fixed screens.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC  /t/1520778/limited-vertical-height-for-screen-still-worth-getting-a-projector#post_24433772

screen in front of the bulkhead, or rotate room orientation.

Ah ok, yeah...that would place my screen at about 6-7 ft viewing distance...might be a little too close...and would have to switch to a short throw projector at that point I think.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

View from the seating area.

Side view

Some measurements

Top of center channel speaker to bulk head ceiling is 49 inches.

Floor to bulk head ceiling is 82 inches.

Front of AV furniture is 18 inches from wall and 26 inches high.

If I were to mount the screen in front of plasma, 6 inches from wall, viewing distance would be approx 10 ft.

If screen were mounted in front of bulk head, viewing distance would be approx 7 ft.

Bulk head drops down 12 inches. Ceiling height is 94.5 inches.

Wall to wall distance is 140 inches.

So the projector would be ceiling mounted at one end (94.5 in high ceiling) and screen would be mounted at other end under bulk head (82 in high)

Ideally I'd like to squeeze a screen right in front of the plasma, 6 in off the wall, between the speaker and ceiling. But that only leaves me 49 inches of height to play with. 100 in diagonal screen is 45 in high, plus case width and borders, so don't think I can get it in there. If I bump my center channel speaker down on a shelf in my av furniture, I gain another 7.5 in, so that would bring it to 56.5 in of height, so that "may" work.

Any thoughts? Am I thinking this through alright, or is my desire for a projector blinding good judgment? ;-)

Edit: notice the door on the right, laundry room..figure screen can be pulled down in front when viewing without any issues. When retracted, shouldn't cause any problems, door swings in, not out.

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,730 Posts
You have a tough space to work with.

I am going to assume the reason you want a TV and Screen on the same wall is that you anticipate not wanting to fire up the projector for some things. Let me throw out another alternative:

Move the TV out of the room and place where you have some other seating.

Put a fixed frame, or DIY painted screen on the wall where your TV now sits and make it as large as possible, turn this room into the theater, and the other space into the TV room.

You would have both and the family can actually use both at the same time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, room is multipurpose. Kids like to watch TV, movies and play nintendo wii.

Putting up a fixed screen though would mean nothing wider than 80 inches, since the door on the right would now come into play.

I figured I didn't have an ideal setup...

·
Registered
1,780 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC  /t/1520778/limited-vertical-height-for-screen-still-worth-getting-a-projector#post_24433815

SeymourAV has the AT drop down screens
I recommend you use a 2.40:1 scope which most movies are filmed at these days. Pull down screen will be around 4”-6” for the case/roll housing. Given the space to the top of the speaker you can have a 114” DIA 106” wide by 44” high. However as BIG pointed out your speakers can be behind Acoustically Transparent screen sold by Seymour or others. You just mount is so it drops right in front of the speaker you can make it whatever size you desire. Either way go with the 2.40:1 screen.

http://seymourav.com/screensretractable.asp

give them a call they are great to work with.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks...so using anamorphic screen with 16:9 projector is not an issue I guess other than seeing black bars...

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Why not completely flip the room? (unless others are seeing something I am not...) This would give you all the room you need, and you would not introduce the constraints of having the bulkhead in the way.

The projector could hang from the bulkhead/soffit. (you may need to add a plate...) I see the seating is quite long, but appears to split apart? (Not sure if the fireplace is utilized, may be a heat issue with the leather)

For me, the closet and the bulkhead, combined, don't make an ideal screen wall.

Wall mounted, or painted fixed screen, move the current screen to another room, as Big suggested. More options, more room, more versatility.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, flipping the room won't work. Sectional is way too big...i only have about 80 inches between the door and fireplace.

Plus the wife would never approve. I'm actually surprised she agreed on the whole projector idea...but seems it won't happen anyway..maybe she knew that all along which is why she agreed. Lol

·
Registered
1,780 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stego40  /t/1520778/limited-vertical-height-for-screen-still-worth-getting-a-projector#post_24442591

Thanks...so using anamorphic screen with 16:9 projector is not an issue I guess other than seeing black bars...
All projectors are 16x9 so when viewing 2.40:1 the image is scope but the projector is projecting the black bars above and below the image. If you have a 16x9 screen (Constant Image Width CIW) you will see these black projected bars. If you have a scope screen (Constant Image Height CIH) when watching a scope film you need to either zoom the image with the projector or use an A-Lens. When viewing a 16x9 image you will have bars on both sides of the image on a CIH screen but they are not projected light. Some projectors like my Panasonic AE-8000 have lens memory and automatically zoom form 16x9 to 2.40:1 when that format is detected. Some projectors like my friends Epson you have to manually make that adjustment. Then there is the A-Lens and someone else will need to advise you there.

Bottom line an Acoustically Transparent scope (2.40.1) screen lowered just in front of your speaker is the way to go.

Here is my speakers behind my fixed screen.
http://s629.photobucket.com/user/cw5billwade/media/theater/20131229_144021.jpg.html

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haha...just on the other side of that door...i know, not ideal, I'd much prefer equidistant...but no room. :-(

The speakers are at the same height angled down and in a little at least...

This room is multipurpose...si I had to get creative. my wife runs a home daycare so having these on speaker stands was asking for a kid to knock them over...or having them too low would invite then to reach and grab...so opted for high on wall and out of the way.

So far, my center channel has been surviving...it's within reach but seems kids aren't interested too much.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stego40  /t/1520778/limited-vertical-height-for-screen-still-worth-getting-a-projector#post_24443436

Haha...just on the other side of that door...i know, not ideal, I'd much prefer equidistant...but no room. :-(

The speakers are at the same height angled down and in a little at least...

This room is multipurpose...si I had to get creative. my wife runs a home daycare so having these on speaker stands was asking for a kid to knock them over...or having them too low would invite then to reach and grab...so opted for high on wall and out of the way.

So far, my center channel has been surviving...it's within reach but seems kids aren't interested too much.
Ok that helps I will work something for you to see. I think with screen covering door is great you would just have to slide the center to the right when the screen is down.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade  /t/1520778/limited-vertical-height-for-screen-still-worth-getting-a-projector#post_24443532

Ok that helps I will work something for you to see. I think with screen covering door is great you would just have to slide the center to the right when the screen is down.

Yes, my thinking exactly. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
What do you think now for referance I sit 10' from a 125" wide 137" Diag screen
and I love it.

Put a short throw projector on a ceiling mount or shelf above the couch. The only issue then is running the power and the HDMI cable from the receiver to the projector there are many ways to do this though.

The wife was probably thinking you would go to Cosco and by a screen then Best Buy and get the cheapest projector though. Little did she know about AVS

1 - 20 of 27 Posts