AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been searching and can’t seem to find a straight answer. When treating the front wall behind the false wall and screen, I read in multiple places that it’s recommended to use 2 layers of Linacoustic RC with a plastic membrane in between them. I want to make sure I get the right stuff. What thickness of Linacoustic RC would I need and what kind of plastic membrane do I need and where should I get it?

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
You do two layers of 1" thick Linacoustic. First layer goes up then a 3-4 mil thick plastic and then the second layer. Total 2" thickness. You can get the plastic at most home improvement stores. I bought mine at Menards but, I'm sure HD or Lowes has the same thing. I ordered my linacoustic online.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You do two layers of 1" thick Linacoustic. First layer goes up then a 3-4 mil thick plastic and then the second layer. Total 2" thickness. You can get the plastic at most home improvement stores. I bought mine at Menards but, I'm sure HD or Lowes has the same thing. I ordered my linacoustic online.
That’s all that’s needed, 1”? That’s not bad at all. What would the plastic be called? Just a roll of plastic material?

·
RETIRED theater builder
33,835 Posts
Either from a JM commercial insulation distributor (not residential) see the JM website under mechanical insulation. Or from an HVAC company that will sell you a roll with a markup. There are other brands that have equivalent products it is called duct liner.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If I were you I would only cover 50% of that wall and mostly behind where the lcr’s are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
RETIRED theater builder
33,835 Posts
If I were you I would only cover 50% of that wall and mostly behind where the lcr’s are.

No do the whole front wall. The other walls are where you have to worry about too much absorption. If you can't afford the whole wall then just behind the LCRs

·
RETIRED theater builder
33,835 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts