AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would the Tripp Lite model LCR 2400 be suitable for Home Theater use as a line conditioner and voltage regulator? Prices range from ~$250-$300. I will be connecting the following devices:

Carver AV-806x amplifier (6 channel, 133 wpc)

Outlaw 950 Processor

JVC DVD Player

Sony 35" Direct View TV

Tripp Lite Line Conditioner

Mike

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Mike.

That looks like a very nice unit and certainly has enough amperage to handle the load that you have. To be on the safe side and being that their Web site advertises it for computers; I would email them, and ask them about using it on a home theater. It will probably be just fine.

John

·
Registered
733 Posts
Mike, you might want to ask the guys over in the "Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself" forum about this Tripp Lite model. I've heard that computer type line conditioners aren't good for AV...

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have this unit, and it works great. Beware the "Tweaks" forum!!! :)

lolittle,

The caveats about not using PC power thingies for audio applies to UPSs, not line conditioners. Most PC UPSs output square wave AC, which isn't desirable for audio equipment (although most high end, server oriented UPSs put out sine wave AC). All line conditioners that I'm familiar with output sine wave AC. FWIW, the Tripplite LCR 2400 isn't just intended for use in computer settings, and is marketed for pro audio use as well.

·
Registered
21,720 Posts
YES, BEWARE!!!! Compare carefully how your dynamics sound, plugging your amplifier direct to the wall vs into the Tripplite. And tell us what you think!!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Steve says: "YES, BEWARE!!!! Compare carefully how your dynamics sound, plugging your amplifier direct to the wall vs into the Tripplite. And tell us what you think!!"

Total bunk! This belongs in the category of magical speaker wires. And yes, I HAVE DONE THIS TEST! With a Sunfire Cinema Grand SIgnature rated at 5x800 wpc @4 ohms.

John

·
Registered
21,720 Posts
John, why do you go our of your way to flame me? Your post goes out of your way to purposely belittle and offend me.

You could have simply not said "Total bunk! This belongs in the category of magical speaker wires." because the rest of your paragraph legitimately without flaming, abuse or offense states that you have subjectively found in your system that the Tripplite worked fine for you.

And John, since you have subjectively listened in your system and heard no compression of dynamics, whats the harm in the person who initiated this thread doing the same thing, determining this for himself/herself?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Steve says: "John, why do you go our of your way to flame me? Your post goes out of your way to purposely belittle and offend me."

Steve: No "flame" intended. Sorry you took it that way. I am simply opposed to these myths being perpetuated. Having a very extensive electrical engineering background, I know that "dynamic compression" from a voltage regulator of adecuate amperage capacity like the one in question placed between the AC line and an audio system is simply not true. Experiments have corroborated this. Not just my own, but others as well.

There's no harm in somebody running their own tests, and I encourage others to do so, but this poor fellow is asking if this unit will work on his system and you are insinuating it might cause audible degradation, which might steer him away from adding a very useful tool to his system if he has voltage variation problems.

My apologies if I ofended you. Will try to word future posts more carefully.

·
Registered
21,720 Posts
John, thank you. It is much appreciated. And please don't hesitate to come over to give us your opinions and info at the "Tweaks" forum.

·
Registered
21,720 Posts
Lenny, you are so right. "Beware the Tweaks forum." If you go there, you just might learn something. Over at the Tweaks, as the Moderator, I've merged a half dozen threads about Tripp Lite, UPC and PC power conditioners all into one. This should give Mike the Cobra man a lot of info to think about in determining what he wants to do!!!

·
Registered
509 Posts
True, but when it comes to learning things that will get my buying $1,000 AC power cords or spending days on end hand braiding wires, I'll stay blissfully ignorant ... but to each his own!

·
Registered
21,720 Posts
I'm afraid that Lenny has a valid point!

But you can always visit the "Tweaks" forum to exercise and strengthen your willpower so as to avoid spending too much!!!!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Steve, you are an evil, evil man :)

After your post, I went over there and read that entire thread, and it got me to thinking that I should drag out my Best Power Axxium 1500 or 2400 regenerating power supplies, mod the fans for HT use, and do some A/B testing with that thing vs. my big Tripplite.... Fortunately, my girlfriend is around to smack some sense back into me when I need it.

Repeating to self:

My AC is good enough ... the Tripplite 2400 is OK .... My AC is good enough ... the Tripplite 2400 is OK .... My AC is good enough ... the Tripplite 2400 is OK .... My AC is good enough ... the Tripplite 2400 is OK .... My AC is good enough ... the Tripplite 2400 is OK .... My AC is good enough ... the Tripplite 2400 is OK .... My AC is good enough ... the Tripplite 2400 is OK .... My AC is good enough ... the Tripplite 2400 is OK ....

·
Registered
21,720 Posts
You know Lenny, I am starting to LIKE you. HA!!!

Even as fully tweaked as I am, there's always more. You've gotta set your limit at some point. This year, my only change has been to Wireworld silver video component/RGB and copper plated silver S-Video cabling, but otherwise I am being stagnant and enjoying what I have (AMAZING!).

But I could put new cryogenic AC outlets, put Power Ports in my PS Audio Power Plants, put high end copper cabling in my walls, upgrade to the new Aerial 20T or 30T speakers, upgrade to Theta Citadel amplifiers, the list never stops. We MUST at some point be very happy with what we have and set our limits with what we can spend. Oh, I forgot, how about the "X" modded 9" CRT from Chris Stephens and top line Teranex processor.

And heck, as a reviewer, I generally can get dealer cost - but I gotta have news for you, dealer cost is still - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

So don't feel bad Lenny. We're all in your shoes! One thing the Tweaks forum allows is to give you lotsa ideas, some DIY, and if you can control your spending habits, maybe improve your audio and video but not spend too much in the process. Woops! I flunked that test. I think I TRIPPed over the LITE! Oh well!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.