AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I correct in inferring that the Toshiba 65" TheaterWide HD (65H80) has an internal line doubler?

I recently upgraded from an older Sony 27" to this Toshiba 65". And there are two things I have noticed:

1) Satellite (Dish Network) looks really bad. Blowing up the stuff to 65" really brings out the compression artifacts. Unfortunately I can't afford the cost to upgrade to a second dish and new receiver for HD content at this time... I'm hoping that looks better.

2) My Playstation 2 doesn't seem as sexy anymore. Tekken Tag looks pretty good, but Gran Tourismo 3, which had godly cream-your-pants realism on the 27" looks disappointing on the 65". The jaggies and individual lines are really noticeable. I was using S-Video and just upgraded to Component cables last week hoping that would help. I didn't really notice a difference, but I was probably focusing on the jaggies instead of any subtle color/sharpness improvements.

Can anything be done about this? I'm thinking of building a PC and running DTV/dScaler that seems to be popular in the HTPC forum. Some claim it rivals several thousand dollar video processors. I need to get a VGA->Component adapter before I can try it though.

[This message has been edited by kurros (edited 09-08-2001).]

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
If you back up the Contrast and Sharpness to 30% it should help. Also there's a way to turn on the 3.2 pulldown to get rif of the jaggies. Do a search for Toshiba 3.2 pulldown and maybe they'll be some info on how to.

------------------

Tom/guitarman

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked and found info that turning DNR to Auto enables the 3:2 pulldown auto detection. DNR doesn't seem to do anything with my PS2 though. I was under the impression that 3:2 was used for "film source" stuff like DVD's (which is confusing to me since it's all NTSC).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.