AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While this is not an HDTV question, meaning that I would first recommend posting it in the DVD section for those to respond. I would say much has to do with the quality of the line doubler/scaler on a conventional DVD analog signal.

In my case, I recently installed an upgraded DVD -PScan player to replace my old Toshiba SD3109. The Tosh was sending it's component video (Betacam component YUV signal) to my projector via a Turboscan T-1500 Line doubler. I replaced this player with a Panasonic RP-56 since it was widely reported as being the best bang for the buck in the DVD section. Some even claimed that the PQ was better than Pscan players at 3 times the price. Not being into DVD's that much I decided this model was worth the money. To my own eyes, the RP56 is a better PQ than the Tosh SD3109 with Turboscan T-1500. This is not to say that had I used a high end $20,000 scaler from Faroudja the Toshiba would have held it's own but for the money, P-scan with the RP-56 was a real improvement. Oh, and BTW- I still don't think the PQ with this new RP-56 P-scan looks even close to good HDTV. MY DVHS tape of Titanic in HBO-HDTV looks definitely superior to me DVD of it. I have very few DVD's for comparison but Titanic in HDTV wasn't the best HDTV quality according to general consensus. It is still better than the DVD on the new Panasonic RP-56!

------------------

Don Landis

Home Theater Pics at: www.scubatech.com Last updated 3/25/01

·
Registered
169 Posts
i am still learning but since i don't have a set yet, something occured to me the other day. Currently my dvd player is not a progressive scan dvd player. If the HDTV set i buy has an internal line doubler is there any difference between showing a dvd on a progressive scan dvd player on this set as apposed to just using my normal dvd player? I mean don't both items convert 480i signal to 480p? Seems to me that technically it's the same thing (if i understand the technologies correctly) but my gut feeling is a progressive scan dvd player is sitll better.

is it?

Thanks,

Gerald

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes, you usually get a better picture from a progressive DVD player, because there are fewer digital to analog(DA) & analog to digital(AD) conversions, so you keep more of the resolution. During any DA or AD conversion you end up losing some resolution. Check out this website for all the HDTV & progressive DVD player info you could want: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/maste..._toc_main.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.