AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an NEC idc-200 scan converter. would this be useful for a projector like the z1, ae300, hs10? or should a scrap it and go with progressive scan dvd?

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I think you've stumped the band, bgl. I Googled "IDC-200" and searched NEC's website and could not find any information on this device. Is it a scaler and deinterlacer? One thing to look for is the ability to specify custom resolutions. For example, the Sanyo Z1 has a native rez of 960 x 540... not exactly a common format.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
whoops! make that the IDC2000, not IDC200. manual says its converts ntsc signal into idtv signal w/digital signal processing and can be used in combo with multi synchronous scan monitor offering 31.5khz horizontal scanning to form a high quality picture system.

also: motion adaptive 3d scan line interpolation circuit to reduce flicker and increase vert resolution.

newly developed digital image equalizer circuit to improve contrast and sharpness.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Ah. It's a line doubler. That means that all you will be doing is deinterlacing whatever signals you process through the IDC-2000; the projector's onboard scaler will still kick in to upscale/downscale whatever you feed it to the native resolution of its display panel(s).

Some will say having a line doubler is better than no line doubler at all, and if you got your IDC-2000 free or ultra cheap there's certainly no harm in trying it out. But if you actually paid money for it and can return it--and this is strictly my own personal opinion--I'd say your money would be better spent buying either a scaler or an HTPC so that you can feed your digital projector whatever native resolution that it is designed for. (And by the way, a progressive-scan DVD player will still cause your projector's scaler to kick in, so you're still at the mercy of the quality of the projector's scaling circuitry.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.