AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new Toshibas with IDSC Pro convert 480i and 480p to 540p. They use vertical line doubling and frame doubling plus horizontal pixel doubling and have Hyper Progressive Scanning that doubles the memory buffer, eliminating all motion artifacts and jagged lines caused by on-screen motion.

New Hitachis use D3Virtual HD digital processing that gives the consumer the choice between 540p and 1080i. It also matches the resolution of the broadcast signal to the high resolution monitor, giving a sharper, more detailed image that's smoother and more filmlike than a 480p signal.

The Sony Digital Reality Creation doubles the pixels from each scan line to create an image with 4 times the density found in most projection televisions (960i).

Which of these line doublers will give me a better picture with non-HDTV signals from the integrated DirecTV/Tivo receiver (I can't get the DirecTV HD satellite)?

Which will have the best picture for local channels HD broadcasts received through a ChannelMaster 8-bay bowtie antenna connected to an HD set-top box?

Which will have the best picture from DVDs?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
For what it's worth I find 1080i sharper to my discerning eyes than 720p, 480p, 540p. So I would try to see a demo of DirecTV on the Hitachi sets. Keep in mind that DirecTV has some of the lowest resolution signals around, so don't expect miracles.

That said all the sets deserve an audition. The last generation of TV's left a lot to be desired when it came to line doubling, Hitachi's decision to offer 1080i upconversion is a positive sign of things to come.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chap:
The Hitatchi sounds VERY VERY interesting though.
I agree, a good 1080i upconvert can look very nice indeed and I wonder how well the Hitachi deals with this; they could have a significant winner on their hands. The downside is that Hitachi are either not making any plans to upgrade existing/older models of their TV's to firewire/DVI or are playing their cards very close to their chest. In all honesty, even though the Hitachi sounds very cool, and I have an older model Hitachi myself which I think is great, I couldn't possibly advise anyone to buy an HDTV right now because of the recording/firewire issue which has pretty much been agreed upon and is starting to appear in several new HDTV's (e.g. Sony, Mits) but not Hitachi.

------------------

"You can't argue with a confident man"

- Napoleon Wilson, Assault on Precinct 13

[This message has been edited by HiDefGuy (edited 08-12-2001).]

·
Registered
393 Posts
ericlhyman (or anyone else who knows),

Do you know if the new Toshiba 65H81 has this upconversion capability?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I agree. You should look at all of them. Specs are one thing, but true performance is something totally different. The Hitatchi sounds VERY VERY interesting though.

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.