AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need an 8 channel line driver for home audio use. I've searched and can't find one.

My issue is: I have a Denon 3808, and have slowly built up an arsenal of Carver amps. With the Denon turned to MAX, the amps barely hit 1/4 of their available power (A-500x and TFM-25 hit about 50w max on the meters). I.e. it sounds REALLY "weak" ESPECIALLY with 5 Carver amps attached to it! It even sounds weak if it was just the receiver (i.e. with all the speakers hooked to the receiver, it gets louder). I need to get enough input signal to the amps that I can get full power... and therefore house shaking sound (without having to turn it all the way up).

Anyone know of an 8 channel line driver?

Thanks!

Mike

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
Sounds like you should be in the market for a good preamp processor. AVRs are notorious for low line level output. Onkyo PR-885s go for $500 or so on ebay and the 886 for a few hundred more.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And that is probably the route I will take when it is time to upgrade - however, the Denon was expensive enough as it is, and has not ran the course of it's life yet. Also, I did not have the amplifiers at the time, which is why I went the route of a receiver, instead of getting a good pre/pro before. So, I need an intermediate solution for now.

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
You might be able to get this one to work. Kind of spendy. It might be cheaper to upgrade now and sell the Denon while it still has some market value.

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by putergod /forum/post/20859218

I didn't realize you could use a mic pre-amp.

I found this today. Any thoughts? Ultimately I would need 4 of them, which would creep up over $200, but cheaper than a pre/pro.

You'd need to turn the volume way down from the receiver but it would do the job. You'd also need to convert the balanced plugs to RCA - an added expense. Buy four of those stereo boost boxes - they will work fine.

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
I have no idea what that is.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's a 6 channel car audio line driver.

I hooked it up to a AC-DC power supply that I have for cooling fans (it had more than enough excess current capability) and it seems to be doing the job - without having to spend anything! However, since it is late, and the kids are asleep, I can't truly test it out yet, but I will tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by putergod /forum/post/20868726

It's a 6 channel car audio line driver.

I hooked it up to a AC-DC power supply that I have for cooling fans (it had more than enough excess current capability) and it seems to be doing the job - without having to spend anything! However, since it is late, and the kids are asleep, I can't truly test it out yet, but I will tomorrow.

Sorry I started late here. Google "line level shifter". I would go with the cheap solution you found, but just in case for you or others. For an 8 channel booster check out ebtechaudio.com. They have rca and xlr boosters and converters. Also the samson s-convert bump box looks nice. Only 2 channel but does boosting and plug converting. Not cheap but handy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.