AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to order the Dayton Audio EMM-6 for taking measurements and wondering if the line in on the Realtek ALC888 audio for motherboard on my HTPC should be sufficient, or do I need a separate usb preamp. The Realtek ALC888 does have a separate mic in from the line in input. Plan to use this with REW to take measurements to best determine dual sub placement.

Thanks for any help

·
Banned
719 Posts
The omni condenser mic requires phantom power and it utilizes a balanced interconnect, neither of which are available on a PC sound card.

I would suggest a 2 channel ART Dual USB Pre-amp from B&H Photo for $69 delivered as the best buy option..

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Would one of these Behringer mixers work that I can plug into my existing sound card? I can think of more potential alterntaive uses for the mixer over the USB sound card/preamp.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1417735/line-in-on-realtek-alc888-good-enough-for-dayton-emm-6#post_22172690

Thanks! Would one of these Behringer mixers work that I can plug into my existing sound card? I can think of more potential alterntaive uses for the mixer over the USB sound card/preamp.

Key words to look at should be "phantom power". But dedicated audio interface is better - it usually has better audio quality.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That model has "two XENYX mic preamps with +48 V," so it seems it should be fine.

Meanwhile, if clean analog output from my HTPC ends up being a problem, I can always haul my desktop computer to my living room and use it if I have to. It has a Xonar Essence STX sound card. Seems unlikely that the ART Dual USB Pre-amp can beat that unless the Behringer mixer is horrible.

·
Banned
719 Posts
It beats me how having additional gain stages combined with unbalanced circuitry that introduce additional noise is somehow beneficial.

And you actually imagine yourself using a mixer into the PC utilizing more than 2 channels?

If you do, I would seriously suggest looking at a higher quality unit than the Behringer.

Personally, remember that you are already at the very bottom of the spectrum regarding mic pres, not the high end. Think "Mr. Microphone" consisting of at least one op-amp... But hey, Behringer Does offer such specs as "130 dB dynamic range for plenty of headroom" and "A bandwidth ranging from below 10 Hz to over 200 kHz." Funny, they don't cite S/N in the specs I saw... But hey, that 200 kHz sure looks meaningful(sic)! And absolutely no mention of gain and phase linearity......Try to restrain your enthusiasm....
You'll pardon me if I tend to mistrust a 'gift horse' promising to deliver more in a 'do everything' package that costs less than half of what the otherwise cheapest 2 channel mic pre offers.

The ART is already the lowest I would go...

I would opt for signal quality over imagined versatility that, while I may be wrong, I cannot really imagine anyone actually using and receiving more benefit from than they would with a 2 channel unit featuring higher quality pre-amps, fewer gain stages, and less noise. And considering that the normal price for the Art unit is literally double the Behringer, and the ART unit being one of, if not the cheapest 2 channel pre that meets the requirements, I would be hesitant to cut the price in half for a unit portending to have 5 channels.

The ART unit, being 'self-contained' also offers the advantage of being portable, enabling you to use it with a laptop computer as well.

But of course you are free to do as you please. Just do not delude yourself in to thinking that because the list of 'features' is significantly longer that the actual topology and parts' tolerances, etc.,. are somehow better. The fact is that you are looking at an inverse relationship where the more 'features' correspond to a lower quality for each stage.

Also, please note that you want an INDIVIDUALLY CALIBRATED Dayton EMM-6 from Cross Spectrum.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1417735/line-in-on-realtek-alc888-good-enough-for-dayton-emm-6#post_22172690

Small cheap mixers are a common means for obtaining a number of pretty fair mic preamps.

The downside is that they often have tone controls in both the input channels and the output channels that add minor but potentially distracting frequency response variations, even when apparently mechanically centered.

The USB stereo mic preamp that was recommended in post 2 avoids this problem for a very reasonable cost.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1417735/line-in-on-realtek-alc888-good-enough-for-dayton-emm-6#post_22173836

Small cheap mixers are a common means for obtaining a number of pretty fair mic preamps.

The downside is that they often have tone controls in both the input channels and the output channels that add minor but potentially distracting frequency response variations, even when apparently mechanically centered.

The USB stereo mic preamp that was recommended in post 2 avoids this problem for a very reasonable cost.

If it's very minor, that sounds like it shouldn't be a problem. I'll be using the mic and REW for room placement decisions on the subs and for just getting a general idea of their response. I just purchased a used Anti-Mode 8033-B, and that in conjunction with Audyssey MultiEQ on my receiver will be managing the actual sub EQ. Meanwhile, I have a son that plays guitar whom I think might get a lot of use out of the mixer vs. the very occasional need I'll have for it.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar  /t/1417735/line-in-on-realtek-alc888-good-enough-for-dayton-emm-6#post_22176680

Will an M-Audio Fast Track work fine with EMM-6 mic and REW?

I don't see why not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts