AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I installed my DISH 6000 system I was so worried about having Line of Sight. Everything is installed and working fine. I visisted my brother a few weeks ago and asked him to show me his dish install..OMG I almost had a heart attack when I saw it. The darn dish was pointed DIRECTLY through the ROOF and HOUSE! I started looking around and yep..the neighbors DISH was pointed through his house too. In all I noticed at least 6 sat installs in that neighboorhood and every single one of them had the dish pointed directly into the roof or house. My brother said he had it professionaly installed and he asked the guy "What the h_ll are you doing". He said he installs them like that all the time? Guy I work with says his neighbors dish in the backyard points directly through his whole apartment complex. LOL

What gives? It seems alot of people say .. O man that's not going to work there is a leaf on that tree. From what I could tell that sat signal will travel through just about anything. I'm going to try and get a pic of these through the house installs so you guys can see it. I could not believe it

O well take care

Play counterstike? Look for me - playername = ILOVEMYHDTV :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
You are forgetting something. The dish is an offset antenna(usually about 20 degrees). So the actual focus of the dish is about 20 degrees above the line of sight. How else would people in places where the elevation is 10 degrees get any signal at all?

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Um, no.

Keep in mind that the signal is actually hitting the dish at a much higher angle than it might seem, and that the entire dish does not have to see the satellite to get a usable signal (though it is a good idea).

I can assure you that the signal will not go through brick. :)

Alex

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Dude.. you just disagreed with the guy above but he was pretty much saying the same thing you did.. that the signal hits the dish at a higher angle then it may seem by just looking at where the dish is pointed.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Just guessing that since the 2 posts above were both at 3:01, they did not see each others posts and were both disagreeing with the original post. ;)

They are both correct, the satellite signal comes in much higher than the arm appears to point. The angle you are given is the actual angle that the signals come down on, if you were to point your arm out at that angle you would be pointing at the sat location.

·
Premium Member
11,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Savageone79
Dude.. you just disagreed with the guy above but he was pretty much saying the same thing you did.. that the signal hits the dish at a higher angle then it may seem by just looking at where the dish is pointed.
DUDE,

check out the post times, they are exactly the same, like totally, gag me with a spoon!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Savageone79 and kippjones,

You guys cann't be from FIBland must be Cal transplants here in disguise!

Bill:D

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
There is a lot of information posted here and in manuals that trees and other obstructions can block the satellite signal. While this is very true, the real world effect is just attenuation of the signal.

The wavelengths at these frequencies are very small. They can easily pass unrestricted through a leafy tree. A thick pine tree will offer more attenuation that could block the signal.

The final word can come from an expereinced installer who has expereince in your area.

Or, just try it if you can return the dish.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I just installed a second dish under my deck. After mounting it I noticed that about 30% of the dish was blocked by a 2x6 board. I tried it anyway and got a 93 signal strength--better than my elliptical dish in the clear gets.

Dick

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
The dish I have setup for my HD from Dish @ 61.5 is pointing at the ground due to the low angle (10 degrees) of the sat from my location. It looks funny as hell.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.