AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've attached a picture of what's happened. This just showed up today. I watched something recorded on TiVo and everything was fine. Turned off the TV. Turned it back on 15 minutes later, and this was there. It's even more noticeable on the xbox 360 dashboard. It's there on all inputs, HDMI/Component, etc, and on all attached devices. It looks like they are stuck at a light blue color, not black (as it appears in the picture). I tried a hard reset (unplugged it and left it for a while, then plugged it back in), but it's still there.

The TV is a 3 year old Westinghouse TX-47, the first gen of the TX line, whatever that full model is. Question is, is there a way for this to be easily/cheaply repaired? Or am I looking at spending so much that it would be better just to get a new TV?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: Not sure what the problem is, but I remembered I purchased a 4 year protection plan with the TV since I was nervous about the lockup issues. Getting it repaired soon. I'll update when they tell me what happened.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
A single line is usually a bad panel.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
its a blurry line not really stuck pixels, i agree with service tech its probably the TCON board.

check ebay for cheap replacement TCON's if you can't find one then the TCON is not replaceable and you need a new panel

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Never saw a t-con do a single line of pixels like that. I have seen quite a few and it was always the panel.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcaillo /forum/post/18214226

Never saw a t-con do a single line of pixels like that. I have seen quite a few and it was always the panel.

I've never been able to get a t-conn separate so I don't know for sure. We turn them into the warranty company and they end up buying the set out.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Not that it will likely be any help in this case, but many vendors are now supplying separate t-cons. Sony, for instance, now has tcon boards for many sets that originally only had them available as part of the panel. Shopjimmy.com is another option for many that are otherwise not available.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcaillo /forum/post/18219704

Not that it will likely be any help in this case, but many vendors are now supplying separate t-cons. Sony, for instance, now has tcon boards for many sets that originally only had them available as part of the panel. Shopjimmy.com is another option for many that are otherwise not available.

Have you had any luck with Shopjimmy with 3rd tier t-conn boards? I know they just pull parts out of "recycled TV's", but they are perfect for parts you can't get elsewhere.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
We use ShopJimmy a lot. Never had any issue with them at all. It is the only way to get some boards. There are a number of vendors starting to import inverters and tcons for some of the products that don't have parts. Electronica in Denver is one.

·
Registered
412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/18214157

Probably a t-conn which is part of the panel.

It is impossible for the TCON to generate a single line of defect. You have a defective source driver and the panel must be replaced.

·
Registered
777 Posts
This seems to be happening more and more

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
More and more LCD sets are being sold, so why would one not ecpect it to happen more?

·
Registered
412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcaillo /forum/post/18242252

More and more LCD sets are being sold, so why would one not ecpect it to happen more?

Well said.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The guy from geek squad just left - he took about a 30 second look at it and decided the panel had to be replaced (if it is available). I should know later this afternoon if they'll be doing a repair or just giving me something new instead.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
An FYI for anybody else that might have problems with their Westy - Best Buy could not get a replacement panel for the TX-47. They've submitted a request for a full replacement - not sure if it will be the same model or something else. Anybody else with Best Buy warranty replacement experience know what I should expect?

·
Registered
316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by display veteran /forum/post/18239708

it is impossible for the tcon to generate a single line of defect. You have a defective source driver and the panel must be replaced.

exactly!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Any thoughts on what Best Buy will do? They no longer carry the TX-47 (no westy TVs actually). Is it likely that they'll just give me a TV of similar value, or store credit for the amount I paid?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts