AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif I think i'm a happy person, because i resive my sony w400q within few weeks...Should i be happy ???? red alot of good things about it, but i'm afraid that the post's are as old as the projector, is it still a good projector ????

Well what i wanted to know is...can it take a linedubler...is it a "must" ore not ??

Sould i call of the projector and get a better one ???

nicolas

Sony VPL-W400Q

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Nicolas, www.thebigpicture.com has an excellent forum dedicated to this projector. I remember the review a few years back in Stereophile Guide to Home Theater stating this unit did not accept a line-doubler. If there's a way, the info would be on this forum

------------------

Steve

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
It will not except a line doubler, it doesn't need one. It will not accept a progressive scan signal either. It still is a very good projector in my book, I'm sill using mine... for 3 years now. I'm waiting for the holy grail of DLP projectors, then I'll replace my 400Q.

·
Registered
221 Posts
It will accept a doubled input from a HTPC set on HDTV compatible timings using either a RGB>component converter or a RGBHV>RGB-sync-on-green converter. Search the archives from 2 years ago on the big picture 400Q forum. It will accept an HDTV signal in the same way.

------------------

Chip

[This message has been edited by mrbadog (edited 09-15-2001).]

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nicolas

Well U say it can take a "dubler" from HTPC, but my plan was to use the W400Q with my Sony DVD "no pro-scan" will the w400q look god with the stuff i listed below...

My stuff:

Projector : Sony VPL-w400q

DVD-Player : Sony DVP-s725d

DTS Receiver : Sony STR-DB940

Hmmm...looks like i have a thing for sony ..he he i once was the happy ovner of a Sony 1041Q CRT projector, but was down because of the sice, noise and so on. i then went for a 800x600 ask impression 880 LCD....that thing made me mis my 13" black and white TV...damn....dont go for that one guys......i then saw the Sony w400q...and was in love with the old girl the moment i saw her. So here i am.

i have a normal white screen, but was planing on geting some thing better for the m400q but some even say that it looks good on a white wall, sooo how much should i spend on a screen..( what kind, and what price range ??).

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nicolas

Well U say it can take a "dubler" from HTPC, but my plan was to use the W400Q with my Sony DVD "no pro-scan" will the w400q look god with the stuff i listed below...

My stuff:

Projector : Sony VPL-w400q

DVD-Player : Sony DVP-s725d

DTS Receiver : Sony STR-DB940

Hmmm...looks like i have a thing for sony ..he he i once was the happy ovner of a Sony 1041Q CRT projector, but was down because of the sice, noise and so on. i then went for a 800x600 ask impression 880 LCD....that thing made me mis my 13" black and white TV...damn....dont go for that one guys......i then saw the Sony w400q...and was in love with the old girl the moment i saw her. So here i am.

i have a normal white screen, but was planing on geting some thing better for the m400q but some even say that it looks good on a white wall, sooo how much should i spend on a screen..( what kind, and what price range ??).

·
Registered
221 Posts
The 400Q will take only a 540P input with HDTV timings. It can't take a 480P from a progressive scan DVD player. It does look good with a 480I component input from a non-progressive scan DVD player, just not as good.

I use a 1.3:1 low gain screen. Not enough light output for Greyhawks.

------------------

Chip

[This message has been edited by mrbadog (edited 09-16-2001).]

·
Registered
223 Posts
Well it seems HTPC rules.

It is the must for driving projectors, and especially older ones. Take the step !

At the time of manufacturing the W400Q, nobody imagined driving it with a PC.

It is a much better product now and comparable to MUCH more expensive ones IF you drive it with HTPC.

My 2 cents

Cedric

------------------

System:

Pentium 2 - 450 Mhz

GeForce 256 DDR

Soundcard Leadtek Winfast 6XSound

DVD Pioneer 116

Denon AV Amplifier AVC-A1 (5 x 170 W)

B&W 601S2 speakers x 5 + Yamaha Sub 160

Sony VPL-VW10HT Projector (16:9 Native)

Powerstrip 1184 x 666 at 60Hz

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes the HTPC is better, but i'm sure many also will say that it's more "Confy" then a HTPC, and i'm not sure i want a PC in my living room, and i want to controll my stuff from were i sit, so that meens that i don't want to run from room to room. I think that my system is ok for this projector taking all the post i have read in mind. all i'm afraid of now is the noise level of this unit... a hushbox is in mind, but am afraid of the heat factor...and yes the whisperflow box is a good ideer ( www.whisperflow.com ), but i live in Denmark, and i realy don't think that $400 and hiping expences are worth it, i'm therfore planing on maiking my own box....and as an IT-engenier i should be able to make.

maby some of you guys have some good ideer's for a smal, good looking, and cool "hushy".

Nicolas

Sony VPL-w400q

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.