Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am totally new to the ReplayTV world so please be patient. I bought mine today (5000) and hooked it up to my DRD430RG. I didn't know it wasn't compatable beforehand (i searched the net and finally found a similar problem here in the forum). It works, but turns the SAT off and goes through "sat aquisition" every time I change a channel.

Could someone direct me to a place where I can buy a KNOWN WORKING reciever at a good price? (I just blew a TON of money on DirecTV and now ReplayTV and just can't afford anything too high right now)

I searched the FAQ and saw a list with a few that worked but some had problems. Could some kind soul please just direct me to an online shop that has a working receiver for ReplayTV that doesn't finish off my kid's college savings? :)

P.S.- I really have tried to answer this question for myself by searching past messages, FAQ, and so on....I really could use a little advice from some of you guys that are "in the know" and understand the need for budget. I cannot afford to buy another one that doesn't work properly or has other issues.

Much thanks

Stoney

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just in case you may be wondering why I didn't just go ahead and get the Tivo combo....I really want the capabilities of RTV. I like to archive my Saints games and all of my Britcoms on DVD, to be able to have the ReplayTV on my network (not to mention the movies already in SVCD format) makes life a lot easier and gives me far more control over what Tivo offers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tip. Do you have a particular favorite place on the net to purchase one? I'll go look around and see if I can find one but there may be a place that specializes in this kind of stuff that I'm not aware of yet.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I'm a fan of the RCA DRD420RE, which has worked flawlessly for me for the last year and a half. They don't sell them new anymore, but you can get one on eBay in the $50 range. All the usual caveats about eBay apply, of course.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Sounds like your trying to use the Seriel port on an incompatible receiver. Try the IR blaster instead. I've had that exact same problem with an RCA model, don't recall which one at this time. It's long been returned to the store.

I'm a big fan of the Sony Sat-B55, but they don't make those anymore. You can't go back to IR blasting once you use the seriel port.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have used 2000networks.com before and had great luck with them. I don't have any affiliation with them other than buying from them before.

Bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Ace987
Sounds like your trying to use the Seriel port on an incompatible receiver. Try the IR blaster instead. I've had that exact same problem with an RCA model, don't recall which one at this time. It's long been returned to the store.

I'm a big fan of the Sony Sat-B55, but they don't make those anymore. You can't go back to IR blasting once you use the seriel port.
That is the problem for sure, too bad there isn't an IR port to try out.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I am trying to decide between the DRD420RE and the GCEBO (that caller ID and all the bells&whistles has a certain appeal)

I appreciate the help guys/gals.

I guess I had better practice my patience tolerance before I attempt the stuff that I really want to get into (copying shows to my PC drives) I have a feeling this is gonna be where I either go totally insane with frustration or dancing around like its Mardis Gras. :)

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Uh, there is an IR eye on any receiver that has a remote control. Stick the IR sticky thing on the sat receiver and plug it into the back of the replay.

Of course I just woke up and could have completely misread your reply.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doh...you are right. I had been up all night messing with this thing and wasn't thinking. The IR blaster doesn't work on this model. The serial works but turns the receiver off every time you change a channel and has to re-aquire the signal. The remote for the receiver still works (albeit slow) and I must use it to change channels for now.

I am able to pause/record but very crudely. I think the GCEBO is the answer to my prob.

Thanks again all for the input

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a quick update:

I bought the Hughes Executive Director's Pack (GCEBO) and it works beautifully. I love the joystick control and Caller ID as well as all the other special features.

It *does* have a low-speed data port (not listed in many places) and works flawlessly with ReplayTV. Almost no perceptible lag when changing channels, recording or performing other functions within ReplayTV

Thanks for all the suggestions and helping a newbie out

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.