AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This quite an interesting product if you have a spare pocket PC Rudeo . It probably works better with other streamers, but I did try it out on the Linkplayer. Basically the product can act as a WiFi remote for some UPNP capable media players. The Linkplayer has recently been given this capability. You have to have a UPNP server running on your PC such as windows media connect for it to work. In theory with the Rudeo software you can use the PPC as a client and stream video and audio to it. You can also control Windows Media 10 on the host machine, plus control an attached UPNP player. If you are lucky enough to have a PPC with a strong IR port, you can use it as an IR remote to control other gear. This kind of looks like a software version of the Philips RC9800i remote. It takes a few minutes to setup, but is easy to get running. This product has some interesting potential.

I tried it out and streamed to the PPC fine and controlled the WM10 player fine. However, what I was really wanting to do was control the Linkplayer without turning on the TV. It sort of worked:

I found that you had to first get the Linkplayer connected to Windows Media Connect in the server window. This of course requires that you turn on the TV to see how to do this. Somebody might could figure out how to work around this. Then you had to use the Linkplayer remote to start a song playing from the media library. Once this has been done you can turn the TV set off.

Once everything is going you can use Rudeo to choose music from your library and build on the fly playlists from anywhere in the house you have a WiFi coverage. You can move forward and backwards through the playlist. It seemed that the other control buttons would not work like stop or pause. The Now Playing information did not show up correctly. Now it may have been because I was using a demo copy of Rudeo or Linkplayer uses some non-standard UPNP command set. The Rudeo folks look like they want to include other streamers, so maybe this will eventually work correctly for the Linkplayer.

I thought some of you might like to experiment with this some and let us know how it goes. If this would work fully it would be a nice addition to the Linkplayer for music and possibly video streaming control.

There are also versions of Rudeo that can control HTPCs running Windows Media Center or just WMP10.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.