AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone that still wants to update to 2.40 here is the LINK to download the file.

There have been no complaints so far from the people that have been downloading the file from there.

PS3Hax Link thanks to Legairre

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I'll keep searching for more Mirrors and I'll try to update the first post with any that I find.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
I think I will wait until Sony puts out the corrected firmware. I can be patient until it comes out because the last thing I want is for my PS3 to brick then have to wait to get that fixed.

Thanks anyway Shorty and Legairre

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
you guys are brave. personally there's nothing compelling enough in this update that's worth the risk of bricking my system. it's a small risk, sure, but the risk is there. i'd rather just wait for sony to fix the problems and officially re-release it

·
Registered
163 Posts
From what I gather, the problem was that people weren't able to download the full update, and the PS3 was trying to install the partial download. As long as the file is complete, there should be no issues.

·
Registered
7,098 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain /forum/post/14231131

you guys are brave. personally there's nothing compelling enough in this update that's worth the risk of bricking my system. it's a small risk, sure, but the risk is there. i'd rather just wait for sony to fix the problems and officially re-release it

Since I had already replaced my 20gig drive with a 320gig drive I knew how to do the fix if the 2.40 update bricked my PS3. I used the PS3 system backup to store everything on my 80gig USB external drive ,then I tried to install 2.40. If 2.40 bricked my PS3 then I would have just removed the drive(very easy) and formatted it on my PC. Then I would have just reinstalled it and run the system restore using the saved data from my 80gig external drive and I'd be good to go.

Going forward I'll always backup everything to the external drive before performing an update. I installed 2.40 and it went fine, but if it didn't I wouldn't have lost anything. I also only run the updates from a memory stick and not from the PSN, just in case there's a network error during the update.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain /forum/post/14231131

In-game XMB is not worth it, really?

I think it's a godsend... I love it as I can carry on conversations without having to leave my game...

Well, to each their own!

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I hear you Talbain..LOL. Btw, how's it going for my fellow old time poster here? I normally would not even think about doing the update..but it just so happens in my particular case, I upgraded my hard drive a couple of days before the update. I have my old drive fully intact..ready to go, if I have any issues with the update.

I still think I will wait a week or so before I do it anyway. Hopefully, Sony will re-release it by then? Personally, I am not in a rush for the extra features..but if I get impatient, I might give it a whirl

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Expect the SONY release to coincide with the Burnout Update since that will be supporting Custom Soundtracks.

·
Registered
834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin12586 /forum/post/14230718

I think I will wait until Sony puts out the corrected firmware. I can be patient until it comes out because the last thing I want is for my PS3 to brick then have to wait to get that fixed.

Thanks anyway Shorty and Legairre

I happened to do the 2.40 install before it was taken down... haven't had any problems with it, but with no games really supporting in-game music yet, there is no reason to DL the update from a 3rd party website... I would just wait... JMHO.... one thing that may just be my console... but in-game xmb is quite slow and takes a while to load each menu.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I am anxious to use the in game XMB, but not enough to take the risk of bricking my PS3.

I have been without in game XMB for over a year now, if I have to wait a week or two (or however long it takes Sony to release the new update) then I can be patient.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShorty /forum/post/14233661

Expect the SONY release to coincide with the Burnout Update since that will be supporting Custom Soundtracks.

i thought 2.40 allowed you to play music in-game for any game.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning /forum/post/14235808

i thought 2.40 allowed you to play music in-game for any game.

No, it just lets developers enable custom music through the XMB. So basically, nothing too different, just going into XMB instead of the game's pause menu to change the music.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
If you can, then my 2.40 is broken.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
The game he was demoing is one of the few that currently support in-Game XMB music. There's probably still a small memory hit that prevents it from being available for all games. Maybe if they keep reducing the OS footprint it'll be possible in the future.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts