AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this may not be the right place for this but what the heck.

I recently got my sister a ReplayTV. She had a cable modem so I got her a Linksys router to share out the connection. My problem is that about every other day she loses her connection to the internet, both her PC and the replay, The only way to fix this is to reboot the router by unplugging & replugging the AC to it. Is this normal? I have tried everything. Gave the replay both Dynamic and Static addresses, but the same thing. Her replay is not updating and she doesnt know it until she is about out of the guide. Same with her PC, she turns her PC on, since that is DHCP I would think it would just get an address from the router everytime and be fine. This is not the case. She starts her PC and no interent. Unplugs the router , replugs it, does a release and renew and she is fine. Any suggestions? Any settings in the Linksys router that I am missing?

Thanks All

·
Registered
432 Posts
What model of router? I suggest checking their site for possible firmware updates, or get a replacement. This shouldn't happen.

Another possibility is that the internet side of the router is misconfigured and is not releasing/renewing to a new IP when the provider's DHCP server refreshes the IP.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i have run into similiar problems with linksys routers...you ought to try and upgrade the firmware to the latest version on the website....im told linksys most recent routers have had tons of problems and that they are aware of it and are working on a fix in a future firmware....

·
Registered
156 Posts
Is it a wirelss router (built-in Access Point)? If it is a wireless 802.11b or 802.11g router, a 2.4Ghz cordless phone can raise havoc with it as well as a microwave oven if either are near by the router or the client.

Otherwise, the firmware and configuration suggestions are the next best steps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also have a cable modem and a Linksys router. I imagine yours is a BFSR41 Cable/DSL with 4 port switch. I have the same setup as your sister. There is a new firmware update as of a few weeks ago. Get it, but I doubt that is your problem.

Your router will get its IP address from your cable provider's DHCP server. Your PC and RTV will get their IP, DNS settings, etc from the router. The only time you should ever have a prob is when the cable modem loses and then re-establishes its connection. When this happens, the Linksys is not very good at renewing the DHCP info from your cable provider. You can either cycle the power, as you do, or go to the web interface 192.168.1.1 to access the router. Click Status and then DHCP renew to refresh the info.

compounding the problem is the fact that the RTV is not very good at renewing the DHCP info from the Linksys router. In the setup menu under network there is an option to renew the network.

The long and short of it is that there is likely no problem with either the router or your replay. Many cable modems lose their connections for brief periods screwing up the DHCP settings in the router and RTV. Your PC is much better about renewing DHCP when a connection is lost. If it were plugged directly to the PC there would be no problem. All you can do is complain to the cable provider

·
Registered
432 Posts
If you're having problems with the RTV renewing it's IP, you should be able to assign a "static" IP to the RTV by mapping it's MAC address to an IP so that it will always get the same IP. Presto - the RTV IP renewing problem goes away.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vmark
If you're having problems with the RTV renewing it's IP, you should be able to assign a "static" IP to the RTV by mapping it's MAC address to an IP so that it will always get the same IP. Presto - the RTV IP renewing problem goes away.
don't think linksys does this unless it was added with the new firmware

·
Registered
432 Posts
Oh, my D-Link does... I figured most would have this ability.

Quote:
Originally posted by lizard_boy

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The linksys router does have the 802.11B wireless built in. Also I can't believe this is all being caused by our cable company releasing and renewing the main IP address. Our cable company (Cablevision) barely changes IPs at all. I have had the same IP going on 4 months now, so I am not sure if that is all that is going on.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I use Linksys BEFW11S4. It never has any issues and I have left it running several months at a time without power down/reset. WAN IP from Cable Modem is a static IP if that has any bearing.

·
Registered
348 Posts
What is the model number of your sister's linksys router ?

I have DSL a linksys router (BEFSR81) and 2 5040's that work like a charm.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a lot of experience working with routers unfortunately only one Linksys, what you described is not normal. It should not have any problem renewing the address from your ISP, it should renew in an instant if there is any interuption at all and automatically. As for the replay having trouble renwing from DHCP again thats not normal either, mine renews quickly and automatically if there is an interuption. Now obviously these could be Linksys related issues since I don't have one.

You should try a firmware upgrade as suggested earlier, check very carefully to make sure all settings are proper, and if all fails you probably need to exchange the unit for a differenet one as it may be defective.

P.S. I don't mean any disrespect to earlier posters but DHCP not renewing or slow renewing, shouldn't be happening with a properly functioning router.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lizard_boy
His suggestion was to set the static IP address on the ReplayTV, not the router. I've had a Linksys BEFSR41 hub/router for over 5 years now, originally on cable modem and now DSL for 18 months. I let my PCs all get DHCP addresses from the router, but my 2 Replay boxes are both set to static addresses, and it all works flawlessly. I haven't updated my router firmware since April '02. I have 2 Linksys 10/100 switches (not hubs!) daisychained off the router, and I get 100 mBit for all connections, and the 2 4000-series Replay boxes stream shows just fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.