AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody using Linux for HA, including an alarm panel? LinuxMCE, Misterhouse, etc?

I'm looking at installing an alarm panel and would like to integrate it into other subsystems in my house, but the only computer I run 24/7 runs Linux. Looking for any experiences.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Not that it's not possible, but it will be a lot more difficult to get a robust, reliable HA system running Linux, mostly because there are far fewer offerings, they typically aren't commercial (vested interest to keep the development going and supportive of ever changing hardware). Simple answer is: put a Windows PC together, upgrade it with latest patches, put a commercial HA system on it, integrate it with an HAI or ELK or possibly a DCS security panel, test it, DON'T SURF THE WEB WITH IT, DON't LOAD NON ESSENTIAL SOFTWARE ON IT (GAMES), LEAVE IT ALONE.

Not exactly what you were asking, but highly related.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well...yeah, pretty much what I was trying to avoid but based on options may have to move towards.

I haven't seen too many options that are happy using DCS panels. Are you using one?

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
No, I don't have a DSC panel. I have had a Napco 9600 and swapped that for an ELK M1 (highly recommended).

I think Homeseer is the only HA software that has DSC support.

We (Cinemar) had a dealer that was going to sponsor development of a plugin for DSC, but then switched to HAI (which we already support).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts