AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
In a word: no.

Basically, there are a number of factors that prevent this GSoC project from being of use to Macs anytime soon.

First is the obvious: Gallium3D is fairly new and only supports Linux. I didn't look very hard but I doubt that there's much activity in porting it to other operating systems as of yet.

Second, even if Gallium3D ran identically well on Macs as it does on Linux, there's still the problem of graphics drivers. From what I can tell, ATI drivers are nonexistant, Intel GMA drivers are experimental, and the NVIDIA driver is incomplete (but still impressive given that they're reverse engineering the entire thing.)

Finally, the GSoC project is implementing MPEG-2 GPU acceleration via generic shaders. Although it's interesting at the technical level (this is the first such open-source implementation that I'm aware of), there are only a few Macs that both have a slow enough CPU and fast enough GPU for this to be useful (specifically, later PowerBook G4s and possibly the AppleTV.)

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessen /forum/post/14277411

In a word: no.

Basically, there are a number of factors that prevent this GSoC project from being of use to Macs anytime soon.

First is the obvious: Gallium3D is fairly new and only supports Linux. I didn't look very hard but I doubt that there's much activity in porting it to other operating systems as of yet.

Second, even if Gallium3D ran identically well on Macs as it does on Linux, there's still the problem of graphics drivers. From what I can tell, ATI drivers are nonexistant, Intel GMA drivers are experimental, and the NVIDIA driver is incomplete (but still impressive given that they're reverse engineering the entire thing.)

Finally, the GSoC project is implementing MPEG-2 GPU acceleration via generic shaders. Although it's interesting at the technical level (this is the first such open-source implementation that I'm aware of), there are only a few Macs that both have a slow enough CPU and fast enough GPU for this to be useful (specifically, later PowerBook G4s and possibly the AppleTV.)

bummer.

I was thinking of the Mac Mini with the Intel GMA as a beneficary.

ah well, maybe somewhere down the road.

thanks for the info!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts