AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I just bought some HTPC hardware. AMD Am2 dual core 4200, gigabyte mobo, 2 gb ram, nvdia 7300, and baracuda hd. I am not really interested waiting for Vista Sp1 - can I go with linux being a novice. I know ubuntu is good for idiots like me, but what about dvd playback? Can linux match windows media center?

Thanks,

Ketan

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
if you are talking regular DVDs, then yes and then some without the DRM. After you install a few codecs and css decryption, you'll be good to go with viewing, burning, what have you. With the hardware you have you are in good shape. Is there anything special you are looking to do with DVDs? If you are talking Blu-Ray and HD-DVD then you will be out of luck in Linux, at least for now.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlinux /forum/post/0

if you are talking regular DVDs, then yes and then some without the DRM. After you install a few codecs and css decryption, you'll be good to go with viewing, burning, what have you. With the hardware you have you are in good shape. .

How do the Linux DVD players and deCSS libraries handle the latest structure protections and other ArCoss-like DVD copy protections?

If the Windows based DVD decrypters like AnyDVD and DVDFAb need constant updates to handle the latest DVD protections, how can the Linux DVD players and deCSS libraries continue to play current DVD releases without updates for these protections?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb /forum/post/0

How do the Linux DVD players and deCSS libraries handle the latest structure protections and other ArCoss-like DVD copy protections?

If the Windows based DVD decrypters like AnyDVD and DVDFAb need constant updates to handle the latest DVD protections, how can the Linux DVD players and deCSS libraries continue to play current DVD releases without updates for these protections?

It's not a clean 100% linux solution but WINE/VMWARE/Crossover office and DVD Decryptor work just fine on ArCoSS.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlinux /forum/post/0

It's not a clean 100% linux solution but WINE/VMWARE/Crossover office and DVD Decryptor work just fine on ArCoSS.

Does this mean that a recent vintage original commercial ArCoss protected DVD disc would not play from a DVD-ROM drive using the current Linux DVD software stack (libdeCSS + Linux media player of choice)?

·
Registered
264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanda /forum/post/0

Ok..I am lost now...

Thats ok- I guess. I want to upconvert dvds. Any hep here? I read on the windows htpc forums that pc's rock as dvd players. Better than $1K players...

Upconverting happens automatically in the video card if you don't want to do any setup at all (Just install Ubuntu, then download a program called EasyUbuntu that installs the media software with a couple of clicks). You can get even better quality though, like what you're talking about with Theatertek, if you go into a couple of setup menus and enable Xine post processing features like tvtime, unsharp mask, etc. For what it's worth, I usually don't need any extra setup to be satisfied with DVD quality from my Linux HTPC.

If you've ever installed Windows, you should be able to install Ubuntu twice as easily, and with EasyUbuntu installing the media software, you'll be set in as little as an hour total time invested. If you want to go further - free DVR functionality from MythTV, customized user interfaces, extra video processing like sharpening and denoising, then these forums are here to guide you.

Though I've never used Vista, from what I've heard video playback on it is slower than in Windows XP, even with top-of-the-line hardware, due to the DRM. So, if you choose to go with Ubuntu+EasyUbuntu, you'll have better performance with less hassle.

Edit: If you're really, really accustomed to the Windows user interface, you may want to try Kubuntu as it's a bit "shinier" than Ubuntu and more similar to Windows. Ubuntu's user interface is very natural-looking, with earth tones and smooth contours, while Kubuntu favors more glossy contours and cool colors.

·
Registered
859 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb /forum/post/0

Does this mean that a recent vintage original commercial ArCoss protected DVD disc would not play from a DVD-ROM drive using the current Linux DVD software stack (libdeCSS + Linux media player of choice)?

You're addressing/mixing two different aspects:

- playback

- and copy protection

Regardless of the copy protection scheme employed on a disc, playback is handled just fine by media player of chioce, mpeg2 decoder, and libdvdcss.

As for copy protection, AFAIK, ArCoss is currently not supported by any of the native Linux ripping apps (I do know that mactheripper under OS X supports it, so I would expect Linux support wouldn't be too far off). In any regards, whether your talking Windows, Linux, Mac, or whatever, the story remains the same -- new fangled copy protection schemes require that the ripping software be updated with support to handle such disc 'features'. In the case of something like ArCoss, then currently what newlinux suggested would be relevant on a linux platform. Doom9's linux forum might be a good starter point for more info ... personally, I find that too much of the discussion in that doom9 forum revolves around trying to use Windows apps under Linux rather then using existing Linux apps ... although, of course, as stated for this case (ArCoss), such discussion is currently relevant...but on a general basis, it strikes me as if there are a number of new Linux users still trying to use Windows apps (shakes head...why not just use Windows?)

·
Registered
264 Posts

Quote:

Thanks nitro!

Is theatertrek available for linux?

I don't believe it is. Your easiest bet is probably Kaffeine (which uses Xine as its engine), and when you want to get into more video tweaking probably Xine itself. Some day, if you're feeling really adventurous, you can step into the command-line world and start playing with mplayer. mplayer, while not easy to use at all, can give the best quality. I'm pretty sure you'll be satisfied with Xine, though. It's what I use.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I've got a brother whose SATA drive works fine with Ubuntu, but different controllers may be a different story. If you want to use SATA, just check to make sure that the controller in question is well supported. So, if the SATA controller is built into the motherboard, try to find out what manufacturer made the SATA chip and what model it is, then search the web for Linux compatibility info and that model name.

You probably can't go wrong with a PATA drive though, and you probably won't notice a performance difference unless you are using multiple drives (PATA master/slave pairs slow each other down).

·
Registered
447 Posts
As far as I know SATA works out of the box on any modern distribution.

DTS connect, what's that?

if you are talking about sending the raw DTS or AC3 sound over s/p-dif then yes, that works just fine, but you need to tell the player that you want to do that, the default is to downsample to stereo and output that via s/p-dif or analog depending on your general sound setup.

To output compressed audio (DTS or AC3) via s/p-dif with mplayer you just need to pass it the -ao hwac3 option.

What are you trying to do that freezes what gui?

Are you sure the entire machine freezes?

Try hitting ctrl-alt-F1, ctrl-alt-F2, ctrl-alt-F3 and so on that should allow you to switch to different virtual terminals, even during the installation, one of the screens should contain the log from the kernel and installer it might say what it's unhappy with.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dude

DTS connectlets encode audio into DTS on the fly...

Marketing quote...

"DTS Connect is the latest thing from DTS that turns your PC into an action-packed entertainment experience that surrounds you in sound. Make your movies, music and games come alive in exciting, dynamic, multi-channel DTS Digital Surround®, the same sound format found in movie theaters. DTS Connect is a whole new way to enjoy your PC. And you thought text messaging was cool!"

My Mobo has ALC888DD and I want use it to its fullest...will linux be as effective as Windows? Its a GIGABYTE GA-M59SLI-S5

I got the freezing thing fixed..it was searching for a mouse..lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
DTS connect is sound processing which in home theater setups is generally done through your receiver. I don't see how you can get DTS connect to work on linux as it looks like it is a setting in the windows driver or control panel app.

·
Registered
447 Posts

Quote:

Dude

DTS connectlets encode audio into DTS on the fly...

I don't think you would ever want that, unless you have an amplifier with no separate analog inputs, but s/p-dif an input, there aren't many of those around, although I happen to have one.

DTS (like AC3 and mp3) is a lossy compressed datasteam, the only reason for using it is to store or transmit audio using less bandwidth.

If your movie has DTS or AC3 sound then you should pass that out to the amp untouched, Linux does this just fine.

If you are playing stereo sound then that will fit into s/p-dif uncompressed and you can easily configure your soundboard to do that.

If you are playing a game with multichannel audio then you will get better sound quality by using 6-8 analog cables as that doesn't alter the audio, Linux is happy to do this as well.

DTS connect is simply a way to get slightly worse sound quality with fewer cables between your computer and your amp in the third case.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.