Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really looking forward to this one.

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi.../lionking.html

"Disney has once again produced a truly impeccable transfer that is gorgeous to behold."

"THX-certified, 1.66:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer is without peer."

"The original is perfectly fine, but the remix is so enveloping, so aggressive, so imaginative, that it simply blows away everything in its path"

Can't wait!

Brad

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I had a hard time giving that review any credibility after the opening:

Walt Disney's most acclaimed animated pic ever is finally on DVD. Here's a flick that completely captured the zeitgeist at the time. After a comeback of unrivaled proportions - anyone remember The Black Cauldron? - Disney would rise from the ashes, phoenix-like, and ride the crest of the wave to The Lion King, still its greatest success.

Uh, no.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
He did overdo it just a bit. However the movie IS one of the best disney animations. I am looking forward to seeing in on DVD.

Chris

·
Registered
27,347 Posts
I am not a fan of 1.66 pillar boxing...I'll keep to my beautiful 16:9 DD LD.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Lion King, IMO, is the BEST Disney feature out there. It's followed closely by ALADDIN!

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I REALLY have been wanting to hear the new re-mixed for home 5.1 audio. I mentioned this about a month ago, and it sounds like they did a great job, and it may be the next demo disc! The video was also re-mastered from the IMAX release, so I am not surprised that it also got a perfect score.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
well i do hope so this will be a good looking dvd, not like Beauty and Beast which has 4 hours (3 versions) of the movie on 1 disc !!

btw... Finding Nemo will have the Fullscreen and Widescreen on the same disc, with 3 audio tracks on each version, i have seen this dvd already and its really a let down =(

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
So the Lion King isn't smeared with the typical Disney edge enhancement?

PS. Aladdin is so much better than the LK it's not funny. Just 1 more year to go!

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
i second or third or whatever it is another vote for the lion king...this is without a doubt disneys finest movie..aladdin is great as well,just not up to lion king.

brickie

·
Registered
303 Posts
The recent "family friendly widescreen" versions of Disney movies do not have pillars on the side of the screen. I think they just chop off a little of the top and bottom, but I'm not really sure.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jesse S
So the Lion King isn't smeared with the typical Disney edge enhancement?

PS. Aladdin is so much better than the LK it's not funny. Just 1 more year to go!
Aladdin comes out on DVD next year? Fantastic! Of the Big Three that started the new Disney trend, I rank them Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King. I enjoy them all however.

·
Registered
28,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Salmoneous
I had a hard time giving that review any credibility after the opening:

Walt Disney's most acclaimed animated pic ever is finally on DVD. Here's a flick that completely captured the zeitgeist at the time. After a comeback of unrivaled proportions - anyone remember The Black Cauldron? - Disney would rise from the ashes, phoenix-like, and ride the crest of the wave to The Lion King, still its greatest success.

Uh, no.
What is supposedly wrong with that statement? Was Disney not in a slump during the 70s and 80s? Did they not have a comeback in the early 90s? Was The Lion King not their most financially successful film?

So tell me, what is wrong with that statement?

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Josh Z
What is supposedly wrong with that statement? Was Disney not in a slump during the 70s and 80s? Did they not have a comeback in the early 90s? Was The Lion King not their most financially successful film?

So tell me, what is wrong with that statement?
Agreed. While I personally find LK (and Aladdin) very overrated, the fact that it was a huge success both critically and financially cannot be ignored. The "comeback" the review mentions beginning with Little Mermaid and continuing straight through LK is a fact, from the standpoint of opinion at large. Now me, I thought Mulan was the best Disney feature of the 90's. But, what do I know!

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FredProgGH
Now me, I thought Mulan was the best Disney feature of the 90's. But, what do I know!
Really? Wow. Mulan put me to sleep. So did Hunchback and Pocahantas.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FoxyMulder
I loved Mulan unfortunately the version i have on dvd is Non-Anamorphic with no extras...
my german dvd has a brilliant anamorphic transfer and that was the only reason of getting it besides it's a fun movie :D

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sangs
Really? Wow. Mulan put me to sleep. So did Hunchback and Pocahantas.
I didn't care for Hunchback either and I never attempted Pocahontas :D I thought Mulan was actually original (for Disney, anyway) and the songs were way better than that Rice/John smeg of Lion Kng. Maybe I just have a thing for animated asian women? :D

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FredProgGH
...Maybe I just have a thing for animated asian women? :D
Perhaps, that goes a long way in explaining your view point on this movie! ;)

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I also like Mulan, but I would put it behind Lion King, Aladdin, and Toy Story.

Because I saw Mulan first, I didn't enjoy Shrek as much. I thought the donkey character by Eddie Murphy was the same as Mushu (the dragon). I thought Monster's Inc had a better/more original story that year and should have won the academy award. :p

And what are some of the "typical Disney EE" movies? I have Tarzan SE, Toy Story I/II, Mulan, Bug's Life SE, Beauty and the Beast, Snow White, Fantasia 2000, and Monster's Inc. They all look great and sound even better!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.