AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed in the past that some of my movies seemed out of sinc with the picture...and they all seem to be DTS. I can remember Moulin Rouge, because it was so obvious that I thought they were lip syncing all the songs until I switched over to DD and all was well. Others were Pearl Harbor and one of the Jurassic Park, but these were only in a few scenes.

Then last night I watched the new Young Guns and the voices were way off and ahead of the picture. I thought it might be due to the new set up and the longer cable run to the projector, but when I switched to the DD version, everything was back in sync.

Is this a problem with some DTS encoded DVDs or is this a problem with my DVD player? I own a JVC 723/721. I have upgraded from an Onkyo to Halo and have noticed this on both. The Halo manual says that video to sound sync issues is probably due to the DVD player, but why just DTS titles when everthing is getting sent digitally?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I have a JVC S60 and have had no lip-sync issues, not even with Moulin Rouge. I do not yet have Young Guns (it just got shipped yesterday).

I did have it once with a dd track on Saving Private Ryan. It was with an older Sony player that needed a firmware upgrade, after the upgrade, it played fine.

It's definitely player related, why only dts, I do not know.

Peace Out~:D

·
Registered
15,492 Posts
It could be your player.

However, if it's a problem at the mastering facility it could happen to either DTS or Dolby Digital, or both. The SMPTE timecode can be set wrong without careful attention to detail and that can throw off the synch. It has nothing to do with DTS being what it is.

Dan

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
It *is* your player, not the disks. I have all the ones you have listed (except YG) and they all play perfectly on my set up.

Source: ATi9500pro based HTPC

Audio: HK AVR525 - Wharfedale diamond 8's

Video: Barco CRT projector @ 720p

- Rick

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks....I am sure in most cases that it is my player. Anyone else with this player?

However, I have heard that others have had problems with Moulin Rouge. Of the two versions (Spanish and French) it was consistanly found that the problem was only on one of those versions....I think French?

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Krynos,

If I remember correctly you are somewhat of an HTPC geru....how do you think the latest HTPCs compare to the new DVD players that can output 720p and 1080i? Does an HTPC allow for DTS ES discrete and/or DVD-A yet?

·
Registered
15,492 Posts
Any software that allows a DTS bitstream output via the digital outs on an audio card will pass DTS-ES to a receiver or pre-amp (if their decoders do not support DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 processing, you'll only get DTS 5.1). I don't know of any in-computer software decoding of DTS-ES tracks yet so you can hear DTS-ES Discrete & Matrix 6.1 through your computer speakers.

The Creative Labs Audigy sound boards do allow playback of DVD-Audio discs with built in 24 bit, multichannel DACs. There may be others...

Dan

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I wouldn't descrive myself as a guru hehe.

I don't know how the new DVD players with higher resolution scalers compare to HTPC's, but being as HTPC's can compete up there with the high end scalers when configured correctly I think they would have an advantage, but again its all speculation - having never had the chance to get my hands on one.

HTPC's can handle DTS ES (all modes) and DD EX just fine over spdif, thats how I'm set up atm. Can't do SACD yet though - still need a standalone player for that, something I'm going to be buying soon just for audio. Hopefully there will be an HTPC solution in the near future, but thats debatable as the music companies want to do all they can to keep music out of computers!

- Rick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.