AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else experiencing lip sync problems on CBS 9.1 (34) in the DC area? Please respond with a yes or no and type of STB.

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nick,

What type of STB do you have?

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Yes I do. I have the new Sony HD-100. It started out as a lip-sync problem on WUSA (D.C.) channel 9.1. After the sync is at its worse, the video drops and then every thing is in sync again for about 5 mins. then it goes again. I thought it was only on 9.1 but last night Baltimore's Channel 38.1 (13) also did the same thing, but only once. I reported the problem yesterday to Sony. I don't have the Sat. B hook up yet so I don't know what happens on HBO HD. According to the boards, it is consistent with any HD programming, OTA or Sat.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Jimmy (from Frederick, MD)

What part of Frederick do you live in?? And, what outdoor antenna are you using??

I live just beyond FCC and am trying to decide what antenna to put up.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I East of Frederick, near New Market. I have always had a Long Range Channel Master antenna mounted in the attic. Its about 6ft or so long. With just a little bit of movement, about 1 foot either way, I could get Washington or Baltimore. I usually kept it on the Washington stations. Analog was crystal clear. After I added the Sony HD100 I could get all of the HD channels excellent, Baltimore or Washington without moving the antennal. I was told recently that rabbit ears that you can get from Radio Shack were better for HD than a regular antenna. I don't belive it. Maybe if you don't have a antenna already, the ears may be Ok. What box do you have?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't have an STB yet. Have been looking at and reading about the RCA DTC100 and the Samsung SIRT150. Believe that I am leaning towards the Samsung. From what I have read, it is more sensitive to OTA and seems to work better in deep fringe areas. Besides, I don't want the Satellite baggage that comes with the DTC100. I already have Dishnetwork in place.

And no, I don't want Dishnetwork's OTA machine either. Read too many horror stories about it.

You have a much better line-of-site to both Baltimore and DC than I do. I am sitting close to Ft. Detrick and near a creak bottom. Should be able to pick up Baltimore (some neighbors can, on Analog), but don't know about DC as I literally would have to "aim" through the Ft. Detrick antenna farm.

Cheers,

·
Registered
232 Posts
Wow! More folks from Frederick doing Hi-def!! I am in the Amber Meadows complex. I have the 6000 w/OTA and a Winegard 9095 antenna. I have a 7775 preamp on it and a the remote controlled rotor. D.C. stations come it GREAT, but I have some trouble with 52 and 59 (WBAL and WMAR)in Baltimore. Hope you guys have good luck with your set ups.

Also, no lip sync trouble on WUSA for me.I only seem to see it on stations with signal strength below 60, or in bad weather.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I live in Los Angeles and recently installed the Sony SAT-HD100.

The Audio Synch problem was not there with my RCA DTC-100. It is almost constantly present with the Sony SAT-HD100. I have reported it to Sony and they acknowledged that they are aware of the problem and are working on it.

They claim that when the fix is in it will come via a Firmware update over Satellite. My problem is that I am only using the HD-100 as a converter for OTA HD Channels (for which there are many active here in Los Angeles.

Therefore, I will not become aware of the Fix when and if it comes through.

If anyone out the with an SAT HD100 does get the update fix could you please let me know. Sony won't call me. They say I have to keep calling in.

Getting through sometimes can be a pain.

When & if you let me know I will then switch the satellite feed going to one of my other Sat receivers.

THANKS MUCH

Paul

EMail: [email protected]

------------------

Paul

·
Registered
349 Posts
NO. Pioneer SH-D09 integrated tuner for OTA.

Have a great HDTV day,

------------------

Fred

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Hi Judy, I have the Sony HD100 with a long range Channel Master antenna in my attic. It is over 20yrs old. I am out by Holly Hills and signals are coming in the high 90's for both Balt & Wash. I would have to move the antenna towards Balt or Wash to get the analog stations. With digital, it is set a little on the Wash. side of middle and both stations are crystal clear. I have not been able to lock on WBAL (11) either. I also had 35.1 come up on the initial scan but it doesn't get a signal either. I don't know what channel it is. I do have the lip sync problem with the CBS stations. All the time for channel 9.1, infrequently for 13 (38.1).

·
Registered
235 Posts
I also have the RCA-DTC-100 and have never experienced lip-sync problems when watching WUSA channel 9.1/34.1.

Based on what I've read so far in this post, it seems the problem is unigue only with the the Sony HD-100 when watching CBS affiliates.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wanthdtv,

I agree with you, but before I went to Sony with that premise, I thought I would make sure it was an HD100 only problem. I have not seen anyone with any other type of STB with this same problem.

I have seen owners of most of the new STB brands complain of a slight sync problem, at times, on all HD OTA and DTV channels. Never to the extent of the HD100/CBS problem, where it blacks out and then comes back in sync again every so often.

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

·
Registered
684 Posts
I'm not in your area, but I get lip sync problems from CBS in Atlanta on a DTC-100 when they switch from 4:3 to 16:9. The gap is approximately 1/2 to 1 second. Changing the channel and changing it back corrects the problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.