AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone notice that the audio and video are slightly out of sync on many HD programs? The audio seems to be about a half second ahead of the video.

I just installed a new Toshiba DST3000 STB and hope this isn't a symptom of that hardware.

Anyone seeing the same symptoms on other STB hardware? :confused:

·
Registered
305 Posts
I notice it a lot. It seems to appear on about 25% of what I watch. Very obnoxious. Although it is a lot less than a half second, it's probably closer to 3-5 frames. (I do (or did) video production for a living, I'm pretty good at judging lip sync offsets.)

I have Panny combo, I wish I knew if it was my equipment or the source. It shows up on recordings as well. I haven't noticed it OTA, just Dish HD. (Then again I don't watch much OTA).

Jeremy

·
Registered
625 Posts
I think it is because of the digital decoding which could affect SD or HD digital. What I don't understand is why don't the manufacturers build in an adjustable delay circuit or chip that would allow user correction of lip sync problems.

Roy

·
Registered
838 Posts
It's not your equipment, it's the source feed. ABC has had lip sync problems on most (perhaps all) programming for at least a month now. CBS has it once in a while, usually at the start of their nightly broadcast. To their credit they seem to notice it and within the first half hour you'll see a few jitters as they apparently are trying to fix the problem. By the end of the night it's usually fine. I haven't seen the problem on any other channels.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I see this rarely, now, since Sony put out some kind of technical letter to the local sations here. Last night I had a lip sync problem with ABC Expressview. Cycling the receiver off and on fixed it. I might have just tried going to another station and then back. Different stb's seem to have different tolerances for whatever problem presents itself as lip sync error. There is a learning curve at the stations. Art

·
Registered
695 Posts
I haven't noticed any lip sync problems from anything but OTA ABC via my Dish 6000 OTA tuner. This week, everything I've watched has been synched correctly, or at least close enough that I can't tell the difference or it doesn't bother me. For the first four weeks of the new season, every other show was WAY off, with Dharma & Greg being the absolute worst and completely unwatchable.

Whatever ABC did, it seems to have corrected the problem. Now I'll have to find something else to complain about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.