AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed in great detail, but it's never happened to me before. Sony Hd-100.

Watching a pay-per-view and I'm experience pretty significant lip sync problems (audio preceeding video). Have not noticed it until now (last night "Fight Club" was perfect... no drop outs, no lip sync issues).

My question is... is this a directtv issue or a sony issue or just a problem with my specific box?

If it's not one thing it's another.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
fyi... just checked same movie on a different payperview channel... this broacast was not in DD and there are no lip sync problems. The one with the problems is broadcast in Dolby Digital.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I heard Tiger Woods hit the ball before he swung all afternoon on my HD-100, and that was not on DD5.1.

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Don't be concerned lhamp, this is an issue with satellite in general and worse with DD5.1. Sometimes, as you've found, it's perfect and other times it's off.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just returned my HD100 becuase of the lip sync problem. I only noticed it with OTA digital stations. About 90% of the time, the audio was a second or two ahead of the video. The audio was connected directly to my TV using the R/L RCA connectors (no DD 5.1). I swapped the Sony for a Panasonic stb and it seems to work fine, although as others have reported, the guide is VERY slow.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is there some reason this problem is worse for some people than others... and why is it just Dolby Digital for some, standard braodcast for others...ota for some, only dss for others....

Is this a problem with a certain model (ie, the hd-100), specific boxes or does it have to do with setup, location, or something else?

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
lhamp,

I thought I noticed it a bit (maybe a half second off but nothing of the magnitude that others were discussing)the other night. I had to keep watching and concentrating to be sure I was seeing it, so I guess if it was there it couldn't have been too bad. The next time I see it, I'll run downstairs and look at my Zenith tuned to the same station and see if I see it there. Hopefully it will be there so we can rule out the box.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ken... I noticed someone else (on the hd programming side) posted a thread about the same movie... he too had the sony. I'm not that worried about it... still, I want this box to be a keeper... I've through almost as many as you!

By the way... almost no dropouts on hbohd (actually, just one in three days... right in the middle of the sapranos)... a few on cbs ota... not too bad, though. Have you had any, either on dss or ota?

[This message has been edited by lhamp (edited 03-19-2001).]

·
Registered
25 Posts
I notice this problem with my model 6000 receiver. Why can't an engineer from Dish just step up an explain what is going on? Maybe post a response on AVS forum web site. Is it an equipment problem or something else?

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
lhamp,

Since I've had the Sony (about 1 week), I've noticed what MAY have been one but it was so quick I couldn't say for sure.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I do not have to guess; my audio is consistently way out of phase with the video mostly on one local channel (NBC, channel two). Blackouts are frequent on all Directtv channels, and CBS HD is not happening. The Sony is about to go back or out the window, but I would still like to hear something from my request to Sony as to their look into these reported problems.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The one REALLY negative thing I've had to say about Sony is that it's difficult to get someone on the phone who has any idea what you're talking about... you can literally hear their "operators" going through the computer looking for stock answers. They are also reluctant to pass you on to a real technical person.

Fortunately, I haven't had too many questions for them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I too was getting major lip sync problem last night on CBS. When I would change the channel and then go back it would be fine?? I am also getting quite a bit of video dropouts. These are both with the Sony box. I didn't get any of this with my DTC. I have read that some people are not getting drop outs, but I think a lot of us with the Sony are getting lip sync issues. I love the picture quality and features of the sony, but it seems to have some major bugs. I guess it is safe to say that my box is not defective and this is a design flaw. I am thinking of returning it now, with drop outs and lip sycn problems it isn't worth the keeping. Bummed...., RCA needs to make a DTC-200 with APG and component!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.