AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rip all my movies to ISO format. The standard dvd's play flawlessly. However, all my BlueRay rips have a slight lipsync problem after a few minutes of playing the movie. I'm running an hdmi to my tv and spdif to my receiver. I'm using PowerDvd 8 Ultra with 1 8800 GTS. Does someone have an idea as to what might be causing this?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I have been using nothing but this and have no sync problem.

I do not think it is the way you back up. I have it is the problem with your GC and the way you configured.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, I figured out that it's a Power DVD 8 problem. I used Arcsoft Total Media yesterday, and all the lipsync and freezing problems are gone. It's a disgrace the nonsense that PDDVD gives you with the problems. I even swapped out my 8800 GT for a 4850 to test the system and the problems continued.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same problem Lucifer. After dicking with it last weekend I gave up the ghost and bought ArcSoft TMT. PowerDVD 8 Ultra sux!!! Also, CyberLink lost me as a customer because along with their software not working right their website is horrible for troubleshooting issues. I find it hard to believe we're the only people with this same problem. BTW, I also have a 8800 GTS from EVGA.

HLKC needs to get a clue! It's a programming/coding issue with PDVD Ultra 8 dood NOT his configuration of his GC.

Anyway, I will step off my soapbox now . . .

·
Registered
150 Posts
I also have the sync problem with PowerDVD 8. The sound seems to be slightly slower than the video, because the longer the movie plays, the more apparent the problem gets. If I pause the playback and unpause, the audio sometimes even is ahead of the video. Clearly a problem of PowerDVD 8, because with v7 it works fine. However, I'd like to use v8 because of the new audio formats, which it can decode and send over SPDIF to my receiver...

Is ArcSoft a good alternative? Does it also support the new audio formats over SPDIF? Cyberlink sucks so bad that I'd wish I could finally get rid of PowerDVD, but the lack of a resonable alternative made this impossible so far...

Regards!

·
Registered
8 Posts
The same exact lip sync problem here. I have my HDTV connected via HDMI and my receiver via SPDIF. In PowerDVD 8 Ultra I have tried both AC3 and DTS mixing as the digital audio signals to pass through my sound card via SPDIF. The sound is out of sync by a fraction of a second. More specifically, audio is delayed. At first I thought this was a problem with my set up (which is too costly to test), but I feel it has to to with the digital audio encoding/mixing latency used in PowerDVD (Downmixing from TrueHD possibly??). I have only tested this with Blu-ray discs (e.g. Spiderman 3 and Monster House). I feel like most people would be experiencing these problems, but they just don't see it or look for it.

Another bug with PowerDVD 8 Ultra is that sometimes when you pause the movie and try to replay, the audio driver is dead.

Is there any software the has no lip sync issues? Anyone else have similar problems?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just an update. Works fine with XP.... no lip sync problem. Possibly the creative drivers for Vista causing the problems.

·
Registered
537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjachno /forum/post/14444312

Anyone else have similar problems?

I have been asking this same question although i have only noticed the problem on once BD movie so far ( i am sure i will experience more)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know this is two months later, but I have the same problem with a system I just built. I just started searching for a solution and came across this thread. Are you still having problems?

Time to keep searching. If I come across any answers, besides switch to TMT, I'll post back.

Regards,

Tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an audio sync issue with PowerDVD 8 2021, Vista 32bit, ATI HDMI...slightly noticable over time with most movies...noticable 60 seconds into Rambo 1.

Never had this trouble with PDVD 7.3...won't go back cause I want to be able to decode and downmix HD Audio.

I'm also surprised more ppl are not posting all over forums with the same trouble.

Will try on Win XP and let you know.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Same problem. Only seems to occur when downsampling the new HD audio.

Such a shame that a new format is causing so many problems, could possibly be why it hasn't taken off like they hoped. oh well.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi!

I have the same problem too! It only happens when using the AC3 or DTS mixing option for HD audio!. How come Cyberlink doesn't notice and provide a fix? It's so obvious - I guess everybody who uses these options and SPDIF will experience the issue.

Does anybody know how to fix it? Does Reclock fix it? If so, how do I use it? Just installing and it's fine? I'm using Vista SP1 (32 bit).

Regards,

Martin

·
Registered
32 Posts
Reclock fixed the problem for me using the current beta version. In the config menu under Audio settings tab click on the checkbox to force reclock to be loaded in PowerDVD.

Rey

·
Registered
150 Posts
I tried Reclock, but it doesn't fix the problem. Audio still is a bit faster than video. However, after some time, there's short pause in the audio and it's in sync again (but only for a short time, of course).

The tray icon of Reclock is always yellow - do I need to adjust any settings? The option to force it for PDVD is enabled. I also had to enable "AC3 encoding", or otherwise I would just get stereo sound.

Maybe I need to enable the audio resampling for slowing down audio (since the audio is too fast)? Or reduce the latency time? 500 ms and 5% for SP/DIF are the defaults and they seem a bit long.

Regards!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thanks to a tip from rajdude, I just installed PDVD 7.3.4403 and it works flawlessly! Has the same features as v8 and there's no lip sync issue!

Obviously, v8 is messed up and will never be fixed. v7 still works, so that seems to be the only really working solution for now.

Regards!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
MHoefler,

also do not forget tmt as a viable solution, it decodes all lossless formats to 1.5mbps dts (or sends as lossless lpcm depending on what you want).

The catch is it only works with nvidia, with ati you will suffer lipsync at 24p.

I have both pdvd 7.3 & tmt but only use tmt for blu-ray/hd dvd.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I also have major lip sync problem with PDVD 8 2217 and HDDVD with 8600GS 178.24 driver. Just bought a 24p capable projector and lip sync and stutter is totally gone. Which TMT is still can't fix.

·
Registered
150 Posts
@720p; I tried TMT, but it gave me nothing but trouble. It often blue screens, crashes or freezes, doesn't accept legitimately purchased activation codes, doesn't play half of the new BR iso rips, etc. Also, Arcsofts support is the worst I've experienced so far (yes, even worse than Cyberlink ;-), because nobody there will help you or even care about problems you experience with their garbage product!

PDVD 7 now works perfectly, plays all discs and isos (even HDDVDs), so I'll stick with that.

Regards!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts