AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it's possible to use lirc and a remote control to wake up a computer running linux? I know some bioses have this feature but I'm using the system as a pvr which performs a software wake up for scheduled recordings and wouldn't work with a bios wake up. Any ideas?

Tom

·
Registered
275 Posts
I don't think LIRC can do a resume from standby since no software is running. The UIRT2 interface however does support WOL or other wake up features and is OS independent.

Wykat

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would I be able to control Linux with the UIRT2. On lirc's site is says the UIRT2 is not supported. Thanks.

Tom

·
Registered
275 Posts
True, there is no UIRT2 driver for Linux yet. It will be possible however to use the power on/wol function of the UIRT2 and another IR receiver for Linux.

Wykat

[edit]To program the IR code for power on/wol a windows/girder PC will be needed [/edit]

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do I connect a separate IR receiver to the serial port and that's how it will all work with Linux?

Tom

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yes, that should work. Use the UIRT2 only to power on and another IR receiver to work with Linux. I hope there will be an UIRT2 Linux driver soon....

Wykat

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does LIRC work with tcp/ip through something like netremote? I heard LIRC supports tcp/ip but found no information on their website about it. Thanks.

Tom

·
Registered
275 Posts
I don't think LIRC has anything to do with tcp/ip, it would however be possible to use wol via tcp/ip (no UIRT2 needed). This is how I start my media servers.

Wykat

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would prefer to use one remote with everything. If I got a pocket pc with tcp/ip I would want to use that to control everything. If I got an IR device I would want that to control everything (taking htpc out of standby, and controlling it). I don't know of one thing that works with linux that does this.

Tom

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'm not sure I'm interpreting what you're saying correctly, but.....

I'm not really sure that 'remote control over tcp/ip' is that big a deal under linux, as everything pretty much inherently works over tcpip anyway - be it via telnet or X. Forwarding remote-control events from lirc to another machine wouldn't be all that useful in most cases, although I can see some benefits. I would imagine that an alternate event stream could be patched into lirc without _too_ much trouble, but then again I haven't looked at the source so I could be wrong.

I am also curious about the 'wake from standby' idea. My initial thought was that this was as much a hardware question as a software one - wouldn't it be the hardware/bios that would have to wake the machine after detecting activity on the serial port?

I was going down the road of rigging a remote-mounted switch connected to the WOL header - this appears to be a very simple interface - pull pin high/low, which could be done with very simple hardware. As usual, though, it might be more complicated than this, but it's worth looking into.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Waking up can occur at the hardware and software level. I don't think Linux does it at the software level, but Windows does. I think Linux uses bios calls. I want to use my system as a pvr which will wake up for recordings. I also want to use it as a scaler. So I'll need to wake it up using some kind of remote control. I think I'm going to stick to using IR because I already have a remote and it's too expensive to buy a dedicated pocket pc. Also I know a little about programming to serial ports (nothing about programming tcp/ip). I might just end up leaving the system on all the time. Then I won't have to worry about this stuff because it's very difficult to implement. Can anyone recommend a good IR transmitter that I wouldn't have to put together? Thanks.

Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.