AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Are there any Blu-ray 3Ds that are not region free? The ones from Germany and Japan seem to play OK on any Blu-ray 3D player in the U.S. Not so sure about from England. It seems that even those that were advertised as being region restricted really were not - at least initially. Has that changed? Has anyone tried to play any Blu-ray 3D not sourced in the U.S. that they could not play on their U.S. Blu-ray 3D player?

·
Registered
782 Posts
What is our current thinking on a good region-free 3D blu-ray player?

Note that I do not care about 4k, but am expanding where I source my 3D blu-ray discs in an effort to pick up films in 3D not released in the United States, so I may end up with discs from other regions.

·
Registered
153 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Do you have an Oppo 3D blu-ray player ? Look at http://www.bluraychip.dk/category.php?id_category=5 for a region free mod kit.

You can also get DIY mod kits at http://www.jvbdigital.nl/jvb.asp as well as players already modded with region free chips.

I've read good things about the Sony BDP-6500 available at http://www.220-electronics.com/

Your mileage may vary :D
Thanks for the info!

I do not have an Oppo, and my current BR players do not seem to have kits available, but I will hang onto that info in case things change.

Will take a look at the Sony.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Do you have an Oppo 3D blu-ray player ? Look at http://www.bluraychip.dk/category.php?id_category=5 for a region free mod kit.

You can also get DIY mod kits at http://www.jvbdigital.nl/jvb.asp as well as players already modded with region free chips.

I've read good things about the Sony BDP-6500 available at http://www.220-electronics.com/

Your mileage may vary :D
What is the current recommendation for 3d region free player? There is a mod available for my Oppo 203 but as that is a critical component now out of production, I would rather get a dedicated box.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I can't speak for anyone else, but I just ordered a Sony BDP-S6700 from Bombay Electronics in Illinois. I will post back here once I receive it and try it. I have not ordered anything from them before, but within minutes of placing my order a UPS ticket with tracking # was generated and I was notified, so that seems promising.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Sony x700 is my do-it-all player. 4K UHD, 3D, BD, DVD, CD, SACD, DVD region free, BD region selectable, 24Hz film, 50Hz PAL, 60Hz NTSC, Dolby Vision, Dolby ATMOS, HDR10, and the usual streaming apps. DLNA can stream from home server including 1080P, 4K, 3D, and high resolution audio formats.

The region mod must be hardware because the instructions state it is perfectly fine to do firmware updates from Sony.

Okay, it's not quite do-it-all. It doesn't do DVD-A or HD-DVD. Vinyl and LaserDisc probably won't fit in the tray. :)

·
Registered
782 Posts
I can't speak for anyone else, but I just ordered a Sony BDP-S6700 from Bombay Electronics in Illinois. I will post back here once I receive it and try it. I have not ordered anything from them before, but within minutes of placing my order a UPS ticket with tracking # was generated and I was notified, so that seems promising.
I have now watched one movie with it - the B region version of Vallerian 3D. Looked pretty good, but there were a few spots where something just wasn't right, ut I am know knowledgeable to know how to describe it. I want to watch another film and see if it does the same thing and if it does, swap glasses and see if maybe I have a pair going bad or something. Am also going to check the TV and BR player 3D settings and make sure they are at the defaults.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have now watched one movie with it - the B region version of Vallerian 3D. Looked pretty good, but there were a few spots where something just wasn't right, ut I am know knowledgeable to know how to describe it. I want to watch another film and see if it does the same thing and if it does, swap glasses and see if maybe I have a pair going bad or something. Am also going to check the TV and BR player 3D settings and make sure they are at the defaults.
I have that Valerian B region disc too, imported from UK if I remember correctly. If you can let me know the time stamp, I can take a look with my setup to see if anything is unusual.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have that Valerian B region disc too, imported from UK if I remember correctly. If you can let me know the time stamp, I can take a look with my setup to see if anything is unusual.
Thanks for offering! Where do I look for the timestamp?

·
Registered
782 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Ok, so if by "timestamp" you mean time duration of the film, it is 2:17:01. If you mean the timestamp visible when you view the contents of a computer directory, I will have to pop the disc into a PC and see what the files say.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Ok, so if by "timestamp" you mean time duration of the film, it is 2:17:01. If you mean the timestamp visible when you view the contents of a computer directory, I will have to pop the disc into a PC and see what the files say.
Basically I need to know where to look for the problem in order to see if it is duplicated. So for example if you see the problem for example at 34 minutes and 12 seconds, then I can fast forward to 34 minutes and 12 seconds to look for it. So by "timestamp" I mean the HH:MM:SS where the problem occurs in the movie.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Basically I need to know where to look for the problem in order to see if it is duplicated. So for example if you see the problem for example at 34 minutes and 12 seconds, then I can fast forward to 34 minutes and 12 seconds to look for it. So by "timestamp" I mean the HH:MM:SS where the problem occurs in the movie.
Oh! DUH! LOL... That makes perfect sense.

When I find it, I will post the spot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.