1,386 Posts
Add the Zenith IQB64W10W 64", plus...?

------------------

HiDefDave

STOP HDCP!

·
Registered
887 Posts
I'm assuming this list is to help those wanting big guns, at least in part, to achieve a high resolution image. However, beam spot size control is at least as important as phosphor area ; if that's the case, it sounds like this list should also indicate which 9 inchers have electromagnetic focus versus electrostatic ....

Andy

·
Registered
887 Posts
Archangel, I don't know - I have a FP Marquee8500LC and I'm very happy with it (I quite like tweaking!) and it has EM focus. I made the suggestion for anyone who's not as familiar with this issue, as another parameter that should affect a purchase decision when it's not possible to see the candidates to review them.

Andy

·
Registered
71 Posts
Samsung 65 inch... No. Not even the new ones.

Toshiba 65H80.... No. Not even the new 81

No Sony RPTV's currently.

I was told the Pionner elite does but I have not checked it out to make sure.

------------------

Chris

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I believe the only RPTVs with 9" guns are Philips, Zenith, Samsung, and the 73" Mits Diamond.

None of them have EM focussing (they use ES with static magnetic). OTOH, reviews of the Zenith and Philips have stated that, properly set up, they can display 1080 distinct scan lines, so apparently they can achieve the required spot size. This may be due to the fact that, as RPTV's, they are illuminating a relatively small screen, compared to the screen size usually used with FP prjectors with 9" guns. Thus, the illumination and as a result the beam current, can be kept much lower, which makes it easier to keep a smaller spot size.

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
26 Posts
No set made by Pioneer (including the Elite line) and no set made by Toshiba, Sony or Sharp have 9 inch guns.

In addition to those mentioned (Philips, Samsung, Zenith, and Mits) there is also a Marantz with the big boys.

Burt

·
Registered
33,594 Posts
Archangel,

The current issue of the Perfect Vision rates the Zenith 64" with 9" guns, the best picture quality available today in large screen high definition sets.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So Andy...which of the above mentioned 9-inch CRT units have electromagnetic focus?

Philips 64PP9751..................................??

Zenith IQB64W10W 64.......................??

Samsung HCJ655W 65" Tantus .....??

Pioneer Elite PRO-710HD (I am not sure this has 9-inch guns)

Toshiba 65H80 (I am not sure this has 9-inch guns)

Sharp 64LHP4000 (I am not sure this has 9-inch guns)

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Archangel,

I'm pretty sure the Toshiba 65H80 has the same 7" optics as the 56H80. It's the same RPTV in a larger cabinet. You get a larger picture at the price of slightly less brightness. The price delta is as little as $200 bucks, so the 65H80 is still heavily recommended over the 56H80 unless you have some really unusual situation, e.g. can't get the larger model up the stairs or into your apartment.

Jim

------------------

Let me get this straight, this show is hi-def and 5.1, but my local affiliate makes it crappy NTSC and mono?!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.