AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 3093 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson /forum/post/21032297

I added this one, but have a question for you; does Newegg have this on sale regularly, or is it just temporary?

$249.00 was its regular price at Newegg for a long time with occasional price drops for sales, but now I think its regularly at $219.99. A good sub in my opinion.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramesh69kumar /forum/post/21054841

How abt rating these budget sub woofers for newbies like us. The rating is based on your experience with product.

Who's rating system though? I'm certainly not able to listen to all of those subwoofers, so it can't be mine, and if I solicit other peoples opinion we'll simply get into arguing back and forth. That's precisely why I said in the first post this thread is not intended for any of that. I'm simply trying to create a reference to show people what's available. From there each person should do whatever research they feel necessary, because there are no two circumstances alike.

If you have any questions then by all means start a new thread specific to what you need. I'm sure there will be plenty of people who can assist.

·
Registered
276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson /forum/post/21055317

Who's rating system though? I'm certainly not able to listen to all of those subwoofers, so it can't be mine, and if I solicit other peoples opinion we'll simply get into arguing back and forth. That's precisely why I said in the first post this thread is not intended for any of that. I'm simply trying to create a reference to show people what's available. From there each person should do whatever research they feel necessary, because there are no two circumstances alike.

If you have any questions then by all means start a new thread specific to what you need. I'm sure there will be plenty of people who can assist.

I agree that rating the subs would just cause arguing. How about, though, listing a link or two where they have been rated by legit magazines. It could and should be a sticky if you did that.

·
Registered
193 Posts
For those interested in the Energy S10.3, Sound and Vision did a review of it and some other Energy speakers. It's from 2005. If you search "energy take series home theater system" on google, it should pop up in your search results. It isn't a subwoofer-intensive review....it looks at the whole system...but the article was complementary of the s10.3. I've had the S10.3 since Wednesday and so far, it's a winner.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by capablanca /forum/post/21055329

I agree that rating the subs would just cause arguing. How about, though, listing a link or two where they have been rated by legit magazines. It could and should be a sticky if you did that.

Interesting concept. Let me think about that one a bit further.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson /forum/post/21056242

Interesting concept. Let me think about that one a bit further.

Or, perhaps, a link to any discussion at AVS. Such as the monoprice sub discussion I listed earlier or the BIC F12 discussion thread . Or the a link to an owners thread.

Regardless or not of whether you do something like that or links to reviews, too, this is still a great resource

·
Registered
248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 /forum/post/0

It seems awfully cheap, doesn't it? I've been waiting to see what this thread has to say about them from someone who buys one. People can look for discussion there.

I have read from online sources that Monoprice deletes unfavorable reviews from their website and clearly they order reviews "best first/worst last." Not sure you can find a critical review there.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
In case anyone is interested, there was another thread that was started by EndersShadow that list different budget categories. Click here

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek /forum/post/21056840

In case anyone is interested, there was another thread that was started by EndersShadow that list different budget categories. Click here

Son-of-a-gun, I missed that. Before I created this thread I did a few different searches, reasoning that someone must have already created a thread like this. Much to my surprise there wasn't any matches, so that's why I started it. Guess either the search function has issues, or I wasn't using the correct terms.

It appears as though EndersShadow is no longer updating his thread though -- the last entry is about 7 months ago -- so I'll probably keep this one going.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson /forum/post/21057419

Son-of-a-gun, I missed that. Before I created this thread I did a few different searches, reasoning that someone must have already created a thread like this. Much to my surprise there wasn't any matches, so that's why I started it. Guess either the search function has issues, or I wasn't using the correct terms.

It appears as though EndersShadow is no longer updating his thread though -- the last entry is about 7 months ago -- so I'll probably keep this one going.

Please do!! I'm in the market for new subwoofers. I check regularly for updates and or some mini review of the subs in this thread. I have 2 ...euh, I'm embarrassed...2 PSW10
and I want to upgrade bad but I don't have access to most of the good stuff as I am in Canada and it really is unpleasant to pay $200 of shipping charge.

cheers

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jproy13 /forum/post/21058794

Please do!! I'm in the market for new subwoofers. I check regularly for updates and or some mini review of the subs in this thread. I have 2 ...euh, I'm embarrassed...2 PSW10
and I want to upgrade bad but I don't have access to most of the good stuff as I am in Canada and it really is unpleasant to pay $200 of shipping charge.

That s#cks; seeing all kinds of great products, yet being unable to get a hold of them. I certainly know what you mean; I feel the same way about a number of the speakers over in Europe. They make some absolutely stunning ones, yet there's no way of getting them in the US.

Just for the heck of it I did a quick check of amazon.ca and was able to find Klipsch, Velodyne and BIC, some of which were reasonably priced, so there might be a least a few decent options to choose from.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokar /forum/post/21071479

Infinity has a couple that would meet the price range:

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primu...8443034&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primu...8443034&sr=8-4

They hit the driver size and price target, so that's good. Do you know if those prices are what you can get them for pretty much all the time? If so, I'll add them to the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokar /forum/post/21071479

I am considering getting these but should probably start a thread asking for people's opinions of them.

I would certainly appreciate you handling it that way...

·
Registered
352 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson /forum/post/21071590

They hit the driver size and price target, so that's good. Do you know if those prices are what you can get them for pretty much all the time? If so, I'll add them to the list.

I have only been looking for a couple of weeks but they have been that price the whole time. Stupid Australian Pink Floyd concert and their awesome bass made me realize I need a subwoofer upgrade big time

·
Registered
808 Posts
If the question is, is there a sub for under $300 that I would recommend, my answer would be no (unless used).

The cheapest sub I would recommend would be the Emotiva 12 which is on sale for $379.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Here's a little toilet pysch 101....I wonder if the people who always insist on recommending something out of a given price range are subconsciously trying to justify some astronomical sum of cash they spent on a subwoofer.

21 - 40 of 3093 Posts