AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 3164 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlee /forum/post/21199093

I was going to get the F-12 for my first sub, but was able to purchase the PL-200 for $249 today.

I would say that the F-12 is easily the "best" for under $200.

where did you get the PL-200 for that price?

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlee /forum/post/21199081

What about the BIC Acoustech PL-200? From the different threads I've found, it seems to be easily purchased for around $280.

If I'm able to verify it can be purchased for less than $300 on a consistent basis I'll certainly add it to the list. Where are you seeing it offered for that price?

·
Registered
84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson /forum/post/21199919

If I'm able to verify it can be purchased for less than $300 on a consistent basis I'll certainly add it to the list. Where are you seeing it offered for that price?

It's not advertised anywhere, but Sound Distributors will accept offers under $300 (they have it listed for $329). The PL-200 thread has multiple AVS members who have purchased it for about $280.

Here's the thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1137113

·
Registered
284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlee /forum/post/21200113

Acoustic Sound Design. I made an offer via eBay.

How much longer do you think that deal would last...I'm waiting till BF to see if it gets any cheaper

·
Registered
84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo101 /forum/post/21200204

How much longer do you think that deal would last...I'm waiting till BF to see if it gets any cheaper

No idea. They always have the PL-200 for sale on their website and eBay for their regular price ($329), but you can always make them an offer. According to earlier posts, they will typically sell them for $280, but I guess I caught them on a slow day.

I thought about waiting until BF as well, but the price I got seemed to be the lowest one posted, so I opted to pull the trigger. I'm not sure if this one will be sold for cheaper, but some other BIC subs (F-12 and V1220) seem to get really low around the holidays. I think the lowest price reported for the V1220 was $150.

·
Registered
8,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 /forum/post/21076373

Not sure if this one fits the list. The Velodyne VX-11 . The listed MSRP is over $300, but it can usually be found for at or below $200 without much effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson /forum/post/21076593

It fits. The only real criteria is if you can buy it more often then not for less then $300. I wasn't able to find any place selling it for $200 but I did locate a bunch of places that had it for under $300, so it's a valid candidate. Thanks.

I've seen it as low as $148.00 plus shipping on line. (Expo and Amazon) Unlike the Impact 10, there is no price protection on this sub. You just need to shop it. Very good bang for the buck.

Ian

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
I think that you should seriously consider temporarily adding the Emotiva Ultra 12 at it current price of $329. There's nothing magic about the exact $300 price point, not when you can an source an interesting music first subwoofer like the Emotiva for a paltry $29 more.

People may end up kicking themselves if they don't know that for the moment they can get an interesting small sealed sub for just a few dollars more than many of their other choices.

·
Registered
8,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/21200736

I think that you should seriously consider temporarily adding the Emotiva Ultra 12 at it current price of $329. There's nothing magic about the exact $300 price point, not when you can an source an interesting music first subwoofer like the Emotiva for a paltry $29 more.

People may end up kicking themselves if they don't know that for the moment they can get an interesting small sealed sub for just a few dollars more than many of their other choices.

Good point. Maybe we should raise the ceiling another $50.00 or so for sealed subs which typically run higher then ported ones.

Ian

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Added

Aperion Audio Bravus 8A

Boston Acoustics CS Sub10 II

Energy ESW-C8, EW-100

MTX Audio CT8SW, CT10SW

Martin Logan Dynamo 300

Polk Audio PSW10, PSW110, PSW111, PSW125

Yamaha YST-SW215, YST-SW216

·
Registered
3,792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang /forum/post/0

Good point. Maybe we should raise the ceiling another $50.00 or so for sealed subs which typically run higher then ported ones.

Ian

Another 50 and then another 50...... slippery slope.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi /forum/post/21201451

Precisely why I'm reluctant to raise the price ceiling.

Based upon the research I had done before creating this thread it seemed as though $300 and below was what most people considered a budget subwoofer (at least among those who posted asking for specific recommendations). I oscillated back and forth between several dollar amounts, but ultimately $300 won out.

I did strongly consider making another thread for subs between $300 and $600 -- and spent a great deal of time investigating the market -- but it became painfully obvious how daunting a task it would be to maintain something like that. The sheer number of products available would dwarf this list by an order of magnitude, and I simply do not have that kind of free time available to me.

·
Registered
8,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi /forum/post/21201451

I was referring to a new thread for less expensive sealed subs, which are good option for those whose priority is music or are have space limitations and still want decent bass.

Ian

·
Registered
51 Posts
great thread, thanks a lot everyone!

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular /forum/post/21229863

Nice Thread!

Why don't you list the Mirage MM-6 & MM-8?

Both can be had for under $300.00.

The MM-6's driver is only 6.5". To be included on this list it has to be 8" minimum, so that one isn't large enough. I've looked into the MM-8 from time to time, but the lowest I can find it for on a consistent basis is between $350-$400. Where are you seeing it for under $300?

·
Registered
284 Posts
The Dayton is on sale for 100 bucks right now making it nearly irresistable, but I'm guessing somewhere during BF, someone is gonna have the PSW 505 for sale ~200 and the V1220 can be had for 160 right now. 1/3 music, 1/3 gaming, 1/3 movies

Which of these is the best for a budget 5.1 setup. I'm gonna be starting off with a 2.1 for now till i make more money and i wiould be using either the DTA 100A amp or the Lepai 2020 for my bookshelves. that being said which of these would be the best bang for the buck.

I would consider the energy but I hear it has amp problems.

·
Registered
84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo101 /forum/post/21241596

The Dayton is on sale for 100 bucks right now making it nearly irresistable, but I'm guessing somewhere during BF, someone is gonna have the PSW 505 for sale ~200 and the V1220 can be had for 160 right now. 1/3 music, 1/3 gaming, 1/3 movies

Which of these is the best for a budget 5.1 setup. I'm gonna be starting off with a 2.1 for now till i make more money and i wiould be using either the DTA 100A amp or the Lepai 2020 for my bookshelves. that being said which of these would be the best bang for the buck.

I would consider the energy but I hear it has amp problems.

I think it depends on what your budget is. I just received the BIC Acoustech PL-200 last week. I paid $249 shipped from Acoustic Sound Design (authorized dealer). I just finished hooking it up, but haven't had time to really test it out.

Obviously what sounds good is very subjective, but the PSW505 is supposedly better suited for music, while the V1220 and F-12 are better suited for movies/gaming.

BTW - Amazon had the PSW505 for $180 not long ago, so you'll probably be able to find that again.

·
Registered
284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlee /forum/post/21241667

I think it depends on what your budget is. I just received the BIC Acoustech PL-200 last week. I paid $249 shipped from Acoustic Sound Design (authorized dealer). I just finished hooking it up, but haven't had time to really test it out.

Obviously what sounds good is very subjective, but the PSW505 is supposedly better suited for music, while the V1220 and F-12 are better suited for movies/gaming.

BTW - Amazon had the PSW505 for $180 not long ago, so you'll probably be able to find that again.

yeah thats what I'm waiting for now. I don't need the POWAH of the PL-200

·
Registered
51 Posts
this should be made a sticky and then have price updates! awesome and helpful thread!

81 - 100 of 3164 Posts