1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
395 Posts
Umm, don't be expecting the huge jump in audio quality from DD5.1 to DD EX like you got from Pro Logic to DD5.1. DD EX is ok, but not a necessary upgrade IMHO. Yes, I'm 6.1 capable as well as tested!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bone_stock, I guess the Dolby website has me all pysched up that it will be a huge difference. I must now drown in the tears of my disappointment.

I guess in other posts for what reciever to get we were debating if any movies were made in EX, so that's why I posted for all to see if they are also on the upgrade path.

I think I still should go 6.1 capable so I am not limited on when they DO improve on EX.

Of course, my current reciever is Dolby Surround, not even pro logic, so it should blow my socks off....

·
Registered
30,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by empirebuilder
I must now drown in the tears of my disappointment.

I think I still should go 6.1 capable so I am not limited on when they DO improve on EX.
What disappointment are you talking about? And what improvements on EX are you waiting for?

The list of EX titles may not be huge, but those 60-70 DVDs represent some of the biggest and most popular movies out there; in fact, you may probably own some already. On a properly set-up system, EX soundtracks are able to clearly place distinct surround information on your left side, your right side, behind you, or any combination thereof. This sort of precision and envelopment in a seamless 360 degree soundfield is difficult (if not impossible) to do with only 2 surround speakers.

As and when you decide to move up from your Dolby Surround receiver, I'd definitely suggest you look into EX/ES equipped models. These days, even the price tags of 7.1 receivers are low enough to keep you from drowning in tears. ;)

Best,

Sanjay

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I only say drown in tears because the earlier statement "Umm, don't be expecting the huge jump in audio quality". I am pretty psyched to check it out.

I have all but decided on the Pioneer 811s with 6.1 and 7.1 preouts, so I will be ready for EX/ES.

As far as waiting for, I believe the Pioneer supports only one back channel, not a back right and back left. Does EX/ES decoding already support separate back channels? Am I talking Matrix vs Discrete?

·
Registered
30,155 Posts
Quote:
I believe the Pioneer supports only one back channel, not a back right and back left.
You could probably hook up two speakers to that output (if you wanted to).
Quote:
Does EX/ES decoding already support separate back channels? Am I talking Matrix vs Discrete?
Matrix or discrete, the surround-back channel is a single (mono) channel. However, using a single speaker behind the listener has the potential to be psychoacoustically problematic as sounds along the centre line can momentarily appear to reverse front/back location. To deal with this problem, it is recommended that two surround back speakers be used.

Best,

Sanjay

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Sanjay. The whole psychoacoustical research with imaging is pretty amazing...

So is there anything in the wind currently to support separate back channels? A new Dolby or DTS system? I have also heard of a "ceiling speaker". It would seem the reciever market is geared up for 7.1 channels. What do the 7.1 channel receivers do then, output the same signal to both back left and back right?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Quote:
bone_stock, I guess the Dolby website has me all pysched up that it will be a huge difference. I must now drown in the tears of my disappointment.

I guess in other posts for what reciever to get we were debating if any movies were made in EX, so that's why I posted for all to see if they are also on the upgrade path.

Of course, my current reciever is Dolby Surround, not even pro logic, so it should blow my socks off....
Oh, in that case I agree with you. The jump from Dolby Surround to DD EX WILL blow your socks off! Go for it!

·
Registered
49 Posts
7.1 channel processors will either divide the mono signal from an EX source into two speakers or, in the case of higher-end processors, matrix two distinct channels from the right and left (side) surrounds. I believe Logic 7 and some of the other proprietary "7.1 discrete" decoding schemes are of the later variety.

Chris

My knowledge is measured in thimbles.

·
Registered
30,155 Posts
Quote:
The whole psychoacoustical research with imaging is pretty amazing...
Front/back reversal is a pretty interesting phenomenon. A search on the web shows that it has been well researched and documented for quite a long time. Some listeners are more sensitive to it than others, though I wonder what in our evolution caused us to retain this quirk. Anyway, now you can post a response the next time someone asks why 2 speakers are used for the mono EX/ES channel.;)
Quote:
So is there anything in the wind currently to support separate back channels? A new Dolby or DTS system?
I wish, but nothing (yet) from Dolby or DTS unfortunately. THX did finally address stereo rears with their Ultra 2 program. Companies that specialize in surround processing, like Meridian and Lexicon, have had stereo rears (actually, four independent surround channels) for many years.
Quote:
I have also heard of a "ceiling speaker".
Yup. I remember reading that it may already be in use in some IMAX theaters, but I'm not sure. The recent Mel Gibson flick, 'We Were Soldiers', was supposedly the first commercial feature to have a ceiling channel encoded in as part of its theatrical surround mix. No word on how that will be handled on consumer gear. A height channel does sound cool though!
Quote:
It would seem the reciever market is geared up for 7.1 channels.
It's trending that way; though for Lexicon and Meridian users, 7.1 is nothing new. As a long time Lexicon user, I find 5.1 to be somewhat of a compromise for my tastes.
Quote:
What do the 7.1 channel receivers do then, output the same signal to both back left and back right?
Exactly. However, some receivers (like a couple of LOGIC7 equipped Harman Kardon models or any THX Ultra 2 certified ones) have processing to give you true stereo rears.

Best,

Sanjay

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.