AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SAMSUNG: 2 models (upscaling only on dvi, not hdcp ? not on copyrighted material ?)

MARANTZ: one model ( no upscaling it seems)

TAGMCLAREN

any others? thanks

·
Registered
557 Posts
 Bravo D1 $199.99.

At this price I'll definately test it with my HS10.

·
Registered
931 Posts
the samsung HD-1000 upscales through component and there's a firmware update that allows for copyrighted material to be upscaled.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
I believe the Samsung HD1000, which outputs 480p, 720p, and 1080i through the component outputs, including copy protected material (w/the upgrade) is no longer available, but I may be wrong.

The Samsung DVD-HD931 ($300) outputs 480p, 720p, and 1080i thru DVI only, including copy protected material. The Bravo D1 ($200) is the same. The Samsung has DVD-A; the Bravo does not. Bravo is being released this Weds.; Samsung Q2 2003.

No info on other two mentioned, and I suspect a lot more upscaling/DVI out players will be released soon.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
David600:

I may be confused but my impression (looking at the Bravo D1 spec sheet) is that the DVI output does indeed allow for a copy protected signal to pass to an input that has HDCP. It does not allow a copy protected signal to pass through component connections. At any rate, we'll soon hear some reviews :)

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by David600
that BRAVO still does not upscale copyrighted dvds though.

and macrovision still active, which still distrupt some projectors.
To me at least, the linked page in this thread makes it appear that the Bravo basically supports the same output path options as the Samsung 931 (max of 480p for NTSC CP DVD, Macrovision applied; 480p, 720p or 1080i via DVI/HDCP, regardless of CP status). As long as HDCP is applied to the DVI pathway, there are no CSS-related restrictions on digital output resolution.

·
Registered
931 Posts
gages:

As per Segaboy

"I just received my Samsung DVD-HD1000 with the firmware upgrade and WOW...what a frieken machine!!! As someone else recently quoted on another thread...'Build quality with a vengence!' He was kidding. Seriously, I truly believe if this machine is released in mass quantity in the United States, it will not feature the 'upscaling' feature. From what I understand, the single dealer in the US (we all know who that is) obtained the firmware upgrade and it would not be available 'en-mass.

My advice to you kids...If you want one with the firmware upgrade, get while the getting is good!!!"

Read this thread for more info on the Samsung HD-1000:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=1

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
gages, when the software upgrade is applied to the HD-1000 is allows it to upscale all DVD's, including copyright protected, to 1080i. As Robert said however, this machine is no longer available in the US. It is my understanding that it was released to test the US market. Why the dealer was given the upgrade is a mystery to me. But, I don't look a gift horse in the mouth. If Samsung chooses to release it in the US on a mass scale, don't look for the software upgrade to be part of the package.

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Quote:
ok, so upscaling of copyrighted dvds possible but only on the dvi output, connected to a projector with hdcp dvi input then.
There's NO DVI output! The upscaled output is only on the Component.

I just spoke with the only US dealer and they are getting 50 more in about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Is the scaling capabilities of this DVD Player better than those built into the projector or whatever TV you use?

I ask because my Sharp Z10K will scale up to 720p. Just curious.

Nic

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jacksonian
Pardon me for a stupid question, but are there ANY DVD players that upscale a regular DVD? Is there a noticeable improvement in pq?
As mentioned several times in this thread, both Samsungs and the Bravo will ALL upscale ANY DVD (both the regular and unleaded types).

-phil

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NKUEHN
Is the scaling capabilities of this DVD Player better than those built into the projector or whatever TV you use?

Nic
This is like asking what the air smells like on Mars. No one can tell you unless they've been there.

Whether or not the scaling capabilities of the player is better than your TV depends on your TV (projector) and the DVD player. The only person who has your TV is you. If you really need to know then by a player from somewhere that takes returns and try it for yourself.

-phil

·
Registered
209 Posts
Very interesting information indeed. I think I'll stick with the Panny RP-82 for now. I am excited about the DVI out in the future but until you have a way to tweak the projected image from a DVI input, it will be difficult for DVI to perform better than a "tweak" component input.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Folks:

I think the advantage of keeping the video in the digital domain is the main positive for the Samshng H391 and the Bravo D1. Theoretically, all digital to a DLP, LCD, LCOS, or Plasma should make a significant difference in the amount of noise that is introduced in digital to analog and then analog to digital conversion that is currently necessary with ANY DVD player feeding your monitor via a component connection. The Sound & Vision review of the Bravo D1 with its digital outs (DVI and digital audio) was glowing.

Scaling is another issue that, until we can see one is a moot point. I would imagine that some monitors' scalers will be better than the D1 or the H391. We should see people hooking up the D1 in the next week or so. In June (supposedly) the H391 will be out and we will see... No panic to buy anything yet. Let's see what the opinions are.

·
Registered
27,569 Posts
Sound and Vision is only allowed to write glowing reviews.

Take anything they say with a grain of salt.

They cannot publish a bad one (it is their editorial policy).

Fun to see the bad reviews....remember when Stereophile torwe apart Velodynes LCR speakers and they pulled all advertising. Very few magazines feel comfortable telling the truth to the consumers.

See this month's Stereophile review of the DCS Elger Cd / DVd player & DAC. It, too, was also glowing.

However, it was $34,000.

Don't expect too much out of the Bravo for $199. It is probably your typical best Buy $99 DVD player with a DVI output stuck on back.

Nothing more / nothing less.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.