AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for the best DVD's for checking calibration and showing off the picture quality of CRT projectors. I do not own any superbit DVD's, but expect I will be purchasing some soon if quality warrants.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Are you thinking about generically what a CRT can do, or are you trying to impress some bulbers?

For general impressions:

The Fifth Element

LOTR-FOTR

LOTR-TTT

Blade Runner (mediocre transfer, but a great DARK movie that people will recognize)

The Matrix - though this does more to show off audio than video, IMHO

Terminator 2 Special Edition (if you've got an HTPC with enough horsepower)

Any Pixar (Toy Story, Toy Story 2, Bug's Life, Monster's Inc. - all good for a younger crowd)

Later,

Bill

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Drumline hands down over all the others for both pq and sound.

Storyline is mediocre but at least everyone hasn't seen it a million times before like the others mentioned.

Troy

·
Registered
16,786 Posts
Blade II [ some of the best Black Level testing out there ]

Shrek [ I find this to look more 3D than the current Pixar releases ]

5th Element SB [ of course ;) ]

Training Day

LOTR : FOTR Special Extended Edition

Gladiator

Driven [ yes another terrible movie but a gorgeous transfer ]

Drumline [ I agree with Troy on this one , A+++ DVD ]

xXx [ no not the adult stuff ;) , the Vin D. flick ]

----- Jason

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
The story to XXX wasn't great, but the effects were good. Acting also sorta sucked, imho. My wife agreed, but she liked the effects and how it was shot. and she usually never comments on things like that.

Gotta get me a copy of the DVD to add to my reference stack I think. :)

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
The Fast and the Furious is a fantastic transfer.

Die Another Day has deepest, cleanest blacks I've ever seen. Has a bit too much EE in some scenes though.

Finding Nemo will be the de facto for color. Too bad it has a little too much compression causing banding and blocking in certain scenes.

Insomnia is noteably clean and sharp. The director specifically used film stock with very fine film grain and it really shows.

Blackhawk Down is another great transfer. Great closeup detail with good detail still in medium and far shots.

The Rock - Criterion Collection (old release is non-anamorphic and looks poor). Incredible depth and detail.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone have the Lawrence of Arabia superbit? How about a comparison of The Fifth Element superbit vs regular version?

·
Registered
24,920 Posts
Do you want to blow people away with what CRT can do ? Don't use DVD at all ! The best images I've ever seen on any video display, ever, I saw recently in my own home and I'm convinced that this is attributed to having a well set up CRT and a great source and not just a great source.

1) Snow Falling On Cedars

2) Daredevil

3) U571

4) Fight Club

5) Time Machine

Don't select scenes to cover deficiencies, you won't have to. There is no fixed pixel device available to consumers, right now, that can compete against CRT in any of these. These films I did not select ,they are replete with dark scenes, and the depth and beauty is just an awesome thing because of that. This is the reason I'm not ready to give up on CRT.These films are what film is now.

Art

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
The Phantom Menace!!??

Good one :D

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I just rented "Tears of the Sun". That was a good one.

·
Registered
197 Posts
One of my favs is the superbit version of "Seven Years in Tibet"

Regards

John

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Guys,

I did a search on the movie Drumline and I found two movies. Is the one you are referring to the one yet to be released on DVD?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jesse S

Finding Nemo will be the de facto for color. Too bad it has a little too much compression causing banding and blocking in certain scenes.

Where do you get "Finding Nemo"?

I thought that DVD not relese yet.

My reference DVD :

Fifth Element

LOTR - FOTR

LOTR - TTT

Gladiator

Monster Inc.

Vertical Limit

·
Registered
138 Posts
One of the most impressive DVD's to show as a demo or just to put your projector to test is Dracula and Hollow-man both available in super-bit.

I use these flicks with my NEC XG1352LC, Center-stage-1 using 720p. you have to see it to believe it.

Syed

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
It looks like they are no longer selling the original Drumline DVD and have instead released 2 versions (one of the actual movie, the other pan-n-scan). I doubt that they have done anything to the transfer (probably just a packaging / marketing decision).

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.