AVS Forum banner

1041 - 1060 of 1083 Posts

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I'll bet that most speaker systems have their sensitivity tested from 500Hz to 2k Hz, but I would prefer 20Hz to 20K Hz for full range speakers, 80 Hz to 20K Hz for speakers intended to be used with a subwoofer, and some standard range for subwoofers.
So I did the sensible thing to do and did what I should have done first: a Google search. These three articles at Lifewire, Audioholics and Audioreputation seem to agree that manufacturer sensitivity figures are an average in the 300 Hz to 3kHz band.

This means that subwoofer range is completely avoided in sensitivity figures, as they ignore the sub-300 Hz range. That also means that in practice, with a standard 80 Hz crossover, the system might use up more power to reach reference SPL than stated in sensitivity figure, because of the added load for reproducing 80-300 Hz content.

So contrary to what I thought, the real-life situation might not be *better* than what is shown in the spreadsheet, but in fact perhaps slightly worse (i.e. a speaker barely reaching reference levels according to the spreadsheet based on manufacturer sensitivity rating might not in fact reach it when playing lots of mid-bass for example).

Do you think I'm getting this right?

·
Registered
117 Posts

Link to Google Spreadsheet !

Link to [static, sorted by performance] published from Google doc .

Partial list below. Go to the PDF (below) or the Google spreadsheet for all info.

Klipsch\tKPT-Jubilee

Klipsch\tKPT-Jubilee 535

JTR\tTriple 12HT

ElectroVoice\tVariplex II HPK

ElectroVoice\tVariplex II

JBL Pro\t4722N

Danley S. L.\tSH-50

Danley S. L.\tSM-60F

JBL Pro\t3722N

JBL Pro\t3732

Klipsch\tLa Scala II

Klipsch\tKlipschorn

Yamaha\tDSR112

Klipsch\tKLF-30

JTR\tTriple 8HT

QSC\tKW153

JBL Pro\t4670D

JBL Pro\t4675

QSC\tKW152

Klipsch\tCF-3

Danley S. L.\tSH-60M

ElectroVoice\tSx300Pi

Klipsch\tCornwall III

Klipsch\tKLF-20

JBL Pro\tMRX512M

Procella\tP860

QSC\tK12

QSC\tKW122

Genelec\t1036A

RWO Fostex\tLS/3

AudioKinesis \tThunderchild

JBL Pro\t3677

RWO Fostex\tLS/4

JBL Pro\t3678

Klipsch\tHeresy III

Seaton\tCatalyst

QSC\tK10

Tannoy\tDefinition Install DC12i

Carvin\tPM10

JTR\tSingle 8HT

Danley S. L.\tSH-100

Klipsch\tKL-650-THX

Chase\tSHO-10

eD\teD[c]12

Klipsch\tKL-525-THX

RWO Fostex\tLS/2

Peavey\tPR10

Genelec\t1038B

ElectroVoice\tSx100+

Pro Audio Tech.\tSCR12sm

QSC\tK8

ElectroVoice\tELX112

Mackie\tC200

Zu Audio\tOmen Center

Yorkville\tYX10

Chase\tPRO-10

Klipsch\tRC-62 II

eD\teD[c]6.Center

Triad\tInRoom LCR Platinum

Klipsch\tRB-81

JBL Pro\tLSR6332

Ayon Audio\tBlackbird

Procella\tP610

Procella\tP8

ME Geithain\tRL 801K

Adam Audio\tS3X-V

Axiom Audio\tM50

PMC\tBB5

Dynaudio\tM2

Axiom Audio\tVP160

Seaton \tSpark

Coincident Speaker Tech\tTriumph Extreme II

Axiom Audio\tM22

PMC\tMB2S

ElectroVoice\tZX1

Genelec\t1038CF

Tannoy\tDefinition Install DC8i

eD\teD[c]6

Paradigm\tCC-390

Klipsch\tRB-61

Axiom Audio\tM3

JBL\tStudio L890

K+H\tO 410 Studio Monitor

Triad\tInRoom LCR Gold

Genelec\tAOW312B

JBL Pro\tLSR4326P

Ascend Acoustics\tCMT-340 SE

Tannoy\tDefinition Install DC6i

JBL Synthesis\tLs 80

KRK\tExpose

Paradigm\tCC-370

Paradigm\tSignature S8

Hsu Research\tHB-1 MK2

Hsu Research\tHC-1 MK2

SVSound\tMTS-02

PMC\tIB2S

Energy\tRC-10

Reference-Capable-Speakers.pdf 442.220703125k . file
Add Power Sound Audio MT110 @95DB, MTM210 @98DB

·
Registered
30,979 Posts
Huh, not a single KEF or Revel speaker eh?
What models that Kef makes do you feel are high sensitivity. I am not aware of any of kef's speakers being high sensitivity. I don't think Revel makes high sensitivity speakers either. Both companies make speakers that can handle a lot of power, but they are not high sensitivity. Both companies make excellent speakers also.

·
Registered
674 Posts
What models that Kef makes do you feel are high sensitivity. I am not aware of any of kef's speakers being high sensitivity. I don't think Revel makes high sensitivity speakers either. Both companies make speakers that can handle a lot of power, but they are not high sensitivity. Both companies make excellent speakers also.
I didn’t think these were missing necessarily, was just a bit surprised that the big Revels or KEFs wouldn’t make it!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Kef lists the Blade, Blade 2 and Muon as 90db sensitivity. Revel lists the Salon 2 at 86.4db. Also not high sensitivity.

I dunno... the spreadsheet seems to indicate that 90db is perfectly acceptable for this category. The new Revel Be line hits at 90db. (328's - 91db; 228's 90db; 226's - 90db)

·
Premium Member
3,837 Posts
I dunno... the spreadsheet seems to indicate that 90db is perfectly acceptable for this category. The new Revel Be line hits at 90db. (328's - 91db; 228's 90db; 226's - 90db)
You kinda do have a point. Its been a few years since I looked at the spreadsheet and some new entries at the bottom are not exactly high sensitivity. Maybe medium? But by some program watt metrics of the sheet they make it.

·
Registered
30,979 Posts
I do not consider a speaker with 90db a high sensitivity speaker. Nor would I consider 93db as high sensitivity. I think you need to be above 95db to be considered high sensitivity. 90 to 95db is good sensitivity, but would not call it high sensitivity. I consider anything in the 80's as low sensitivity.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I do not consider a speaker with 90db a high sensitivity speaker. Nor would I consider 93db as high sensitivity. I think you need to be above 95db to be considered high sensitivity. 90 to 95db is good sensitivity, but would not call it high sensitivity. I consider anything in the 80's as low sensitivity.
I suppose it is a moot descriptor since the question is: will it play at reference levels? I don't know the answer about the goldenears but I suspect someone can sort that out!

·
Premium Member
3,837 Posts
[
I suppose it is a moot descriptor since the question is: will it play at reference levels? I don't know the answer about the goldenears but I suspect someone can sort that out!
Eyleron the OP could sort this all out. Unless its a horn loaded design with a CD or a ribbon most soft domes can't play nice at reference levels unless it can handle and is given a lot of power. Desings with multiple soft domes can work. This is just a generality tho.

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
I haven't seen any industry standard for differentiating between low, medium or high sensitivity/efficiency speakers so there are going to be different interpretations that make it hard to reach agreement.

·
Registered
Gary Garrison's set-up
1,464 Posts
What's SPL mean? And can I make a 5.1 surround setup with any of these for less than $1000?
SPL means Sound Pressure Level, and it refers to actual, physical, measurable sound intensity in the room, at the location where it is measured. It is the real thing. If you were to ask a physicist, "How loud is it?" the answer might be in dB SPL. If you were to ask a psychologist, the answer might include that "loudness" is a perceptual phenomenon and judgement of loudness depends on many things: amount of distortion in the sound, room acoustics, and that we hear bass and high treble more softly than midrange, even when they are at the same SPL.

I think it would be very difficult to put together a reference level capable 5.1 system for $1,000. I could be wrong, of course. See the prices listed in the chart.

In answer to other questions, I would think high sensitivity speakers would be 95 dB/1w/1m and above. Most would be above.

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
THX reference specifies 85 dB continuous sound level at the listening position with 20 dB of dynamic headroom to allow for 105 dB peaks in the program material. Distance from speaker to listening position is a factor. For example, Kali Audio rates their active speakers for maximum listening distance to reach reference. The LP-6 is rated for 85 dB continuously with 20 dB of dynamic headroom at a maximum of 2.2 meters (7.2 feet) while the larger LP-8 is rated at 2.8 meters (9.2 feet).

So for starters you would need to know the distance from your proposed speaker system to your proposed listening position. Then you could begin narrowing down which combination of speaker efficiency and amplifier power would be required to reach 85 dB continuous and 105 dB peak at that distance. Finally you could calculate the prices of different setups to narrow it down to those that fit your budget. For example, a smaller room with shorter distances between speakers and listening position would require a less capable and less costly system to reach reference.

If you plan to listen at more modest levels than reference then even less capable and less costly systems can work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm gonna jump in and say, the Electrovoice interface C and D are contenders for sure. Easily outpaces some of the big and rare cerwin vegas i've had before

·
Registered
855 Posts
It seems this spreadsheet is outdated and no longer maintained? Is that true?

I came here looking for information on speakers that have a general consensus for having excellent performance and value in some way or another. Is there another thread with a list or spreadsheet that can help me with this?

I will be building a new theater later this year. I would not say that cost is no object, but don't have a specific budget. But I'd say probably a hard limit of 5k for front stage, and 5k for all other speakers (excluding subs). I just want high end performance for both music and movies. I currently have a Yamaha RX-A3060 and a 7.1.4 where all 11 speakers are 8" 2-way Yamaha in-walls, and 8x 18" Fi IB318 in manifolds in the ceiling. I may keep the subs, but I want an upgrade on the speakers. I may also add GSG 21" Martys to handle everything from 30-150 hz, and run the IB system from 30hz and below.

Anyway, I want a fantastic sounding front stage. I thought about KEF LS50, but I'm not sure they would have the output for theater that I'm looking for. I thought about building a pair of open baffle speakers using something like Acoustic Elegance drivers and who-knows-what for the HF. I'm just looking for options.

1041 - 1060 of 1083 Posts