AVS Forum banner

1081 - 1083 of 1083 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
Good stuff pal 👍🏻

The Star Wars release was before my time, I was born in 81. I grew up going with my family to a 70mm IMAX theater that was at a local museum called the Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center. It blew my mind as a kid. They have since changed the theater to D-Cinema. The museum is still there. Also my small childhood towns theater was a place i went frequently as a kid. My friends and I would dip in from an alley door. It was beside a skating rink and both were a ton of fun. That theater is still going. Called the Dream Theater.

·
Registered
Gary Garrison's set-up
1,463 Posts
My friends and I would dip in from an alley door.
I had a friend who was in charge of paying for a ticket, going into the theater and opening an alley door for his friends to come in. Since they thought of themselves as free and unincumbered by social norms (I guess) they rarely bothered to get in near the beginning of a movie. So, he walked into Psycho just as Martin Balsam met his end falling backwards down the stairs. He was utterly gobsmacked. He said he had no idea movies could or would do that. That night he decided to go into some aspect of filmmaking, and later majored in it in college. I met him when he auditioned for, and became the narrator for a failed project of mine. Last time I heard he had become a minor actor, and was studying to become a psychotherapist, pardon the pun. And that night he saw Psycho so long ago? He forgot about his friends outside, and never did open that door.

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
I had a friend who was in charge of paying for a ticket, going into the theater and opening an alley door for his friends to come in. Since they thought of themselves as free and unincumbered by social norms (I guess) they rarely bothered to get in near the beginning of a movie. So, he walked into Psycho just as Martin Balsam met his end falling backwards down the stairs. He was utterly gobsmacked. He said he had no idea movies could or would do that. That night he decided to go into some aspect of filmmaking, and later majored in it in college. I met him when he auditioned for, and became the narrator for a failed project of mine. Last time I heard he had become a minor actor, and was studying to become a psychotherapist, pardon the pun. And that night he saw Psycho so long ago? He forgot about his friends outside, and never did open that door.
Haha the poor kids prolly waited a long time out back. Cool story.
We only snuck in a few times and as you had said, we hated missing the beginning since you had to wait for the movie to start for it to be dark enough. These were always weekends too. Most other times I was an outside kid and did outdoor activities. Than came in at dark and listened to music.
Ok sorry for off topic again.

EDITED

1081 - 1083 of 1083 Posts