AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
26,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This thread contains a running list of TV series with aspect ratios wider than 16:9. Due to forum software limitations regarding post length, the list is attached to this post as a ZIP'ed Excel spreadsheet. It will be updated regularly.

Notes:

• This list contains television series and miniseries of three episodes or more. It does not include theatrical features or TV movies of less than three parts. For example, the HBO documentary Leaving Neverland has only two parts and is not on the list.
  • All series are listed under the network or streaming platform where they debuted in the United States. Some programs may appear on other networks internationally. See notes when available. It is beyond the scope of this list to track every streaming platform that may carry shows after initial broadcast.
  • Some of the aspect ratio numbers may be approximate. I have not been able to measure all of them precisely.
  • In general, shows from 2.35:1 to 2.40:1 are categorized as "2.35:1."
  • Most of the aspect ratio numbers were determined by viewing the shows' trailers. However, trailers are not always accurate as to how episodes of a show will actually look. I have found many instances where trailers are standard 16:9 while the show is actually letterboxed or vice versa, as well as conflicting trailers for the same series. If errors are detected, please comment in the thread.
Last updated: 9/29/2020

Recent additions (newest first):

Song Exploder - Netflix
La Revolution - Netflix
Black Narcissus - FX
The School Nurse Files - Netflix
The Haunting of Bly Manor - Netflix
Barbarians - Netflix
The Playbook - Netflix
Small Axe - Amazon Prime
The Last Word - Netflix
Moonbase 8 - Showtime
Monsterland - Hulu
Sneakerheads - Netflix
Record of Youth - Netflix
Heathers - Paramount Network
Tehran - Apple TV+
Grand Army - Netflix
Borgen - Netflix
Transplant - NBC/Peacock
Chef's Table: BBQ - Netflix
The Stand - CBS All Access

Attachments

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
As much as I am glad to see wider than 1.78:1, it is almost sad to know that it is the shape of the phone screen that pushed this change, not advancements in large screen displays.

Sent from my CPH1701 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Dark (Netflix) - 2.0:1

The show is *really* good, too. It's in German (you can watch either dubbed or in the OV with English subtitles), and it shares tone with both Stranger Things and Twin Peaks.

·
Registered
26,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hey Josh, that’s correct that Star Trek Discovery season 1 is 2:1. But season 2 that premieres in January as well as the four “short treks” shorts will be scope.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Master of None (Aziz Ansari) is scope I think, no season 3 yet though.
Westworld is mostly 16x9 but has some scenes I think in scope.

·
Registered
26,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Added Master of None and The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina to the list.

Westworld is mostly 16x9 but has some scenes I think in scope.
Westworld is 99.99% a 16:9 show, which occasionally has a scene or two that will switch to scope. It has never had an entire episode wider than 16:9, and cannot be watched in CIH.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Bah, 2.2 for The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (Netflix) is right in the dead zone that I' never hit on my CIH system. I'm still deciding on final height but given my throw I would have to go down to about 49 inches high to hit 2.2, and that is just too small for me.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,826 Posts
Doctor Who (2005) Season 11 is now 2:1 aspect. Seasons 1-10 are all 16:9.
The First (2018) Hulu? is 2:1 aspect
Titans (DC) is 2:1 aspect.
The Handmaid's Tale is 2:1 aspect starting season 2.
Impulse (2018) Youtube Red is 2:1 aspect

·
Registered
26,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bah, 2.2 for The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (Netflix) is right in the dead zone that I' never hit on my CIH system. I'm still deciding on final height but given my throw I would have to go down to about 49 inches high to hit 2.2, and that is just too small for me.

I've only watched the first episode, but I don't think you'd miss anything important cropping to 2.35:1.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The Haunting of Hill House (2018, Netflix Originals) is 2.0:1 (please double-check me on that - the sudden arrival of Sabrina at 2.2 has me second-guessing).

·
Registered
26,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Haunting of Hill House (2018, Netflix Originals) is 2.0:1 (please double-check me on that - the sudden arrival of Sabrina at 2.2 has me second-guessing).

IMDb says 1.78:1, but I just queued up the first episode and it definitely has some small letterboxing. Not as much as Sabrina. Looks about the same as Altered Carbon.

Reactions: dschulz

·
Registered
26,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Patriot on Amazon is a weird situation. Season 1 was 16:9. Season 2 is 2.35:1, except for each episode's opening credits, which are 4:3 pillarboxed and extend the full height of the frame. If not for that, the episodes would be CIH. I added blanking to mask off the top and bottom, and fortunately the credits footage still looks OK and all text is visible within the 2.35:1 safe area.

Also, I removed Legion from the list. Although the show plays with aspect ratio, it's primarily 16:9 and can't be watched in CIH, which was the intent of the list.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
One thing I have been noticing for some time now, is that quite a few commercials are now shown in a 2:35 format, in which I delay hitting the 30 second skip button and say, Cool. :cool: Then the 16x9 show resumes, boring. I would prefer it, the other way around. Perhaps like you Josh, I want more 2:35 shows.

On another note, just because I can easily flip back and forth between 2:35 and 16x9, I sometimes watch football in the 2:35 format, I think it looks a lot cooler that way, gets rid of the stats at the bottom and fills the screen with the action.

Attachments

·
Registered
26,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do we have a list going for TV shows narrower than 16:9 that are of the modern era? Or changing AR’s?

The Homecoming on Amazon is a changing AR between 16:9 and 1:1.
No, and I don't see the point of it. Those shows do not meaningfully affect the forum topic of Constant Image Height projection. Shows with changing ARs like Legion or American Gods cannot be watched in CIH. They are effectively 16:9 shows that occasionally black out part of the frame. Same with Homecoming and its scenes shot in portrait layout.

I'm not aware of any other modern-era shows deliberately shot narrower than 16:9. If those exist, they'd function no differently than any legacy 4:3 content.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
I don't watch much TV shows but I was thrilled to see many 2.33 music videos.

I have a family subscription to Apple Music and most of Lana Del Ray's music videos are 2.33

I think there are other music video also in scope... I have seen several commercials in scope when I do watch TV.
(Off hand I don't remember .. I try to ignore commercials ..but they do exist frequently in scope ratio.)

-Brian

1 - 20 of 230 Posts