AVS Forum banner

181 - 200 of 230 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,090 Posts
Most of the shows on this list are shot at 2k. Both 2k and 4k cameras have a raw data aspect ratio of 1.89:1. It's been that way since the advent of digital cinematography, not a new development. There is an existing workflow to crop both to the standard 16:9 ratio, which is what almost every single show on the major broadcast networks do.
I'm not disagreeing with what you say. The post was about the post saying that phones are the reason for the various cropping that we see. I wonder how many are actually being shot with 4K, or better, cameras. More and more shows are being released in 4K. Westworld is one of the few shows actually shot on film. but scan the film at 1080p. I don't know if that is what they did again this season.

·
Registered
26,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
I'm not disagreeing with what you say. The post was about the post saying that phones are the reason for the various cropping that we see. I wonder how many are actually being shot with 4K, or better, cameras. More and more shows are being released in 4K. Westworld is one of the few shows actually shot on film. but scan the film at 1080p. I don't know if that is what they did again this season.
Honestly, I think he's right. As I said, the choice of aspect ratio is an artistic decision, not a technical one. In the case of 2.0:1, that decision may be driven by a desire to fit comfortably onto phone screens.

Ratios wider than 2.0:1 are likely more about having cinematic prestige. A 2.35:1 show like Star Trek: Picard will look very small on a phone screen. But there's no theatrical standard for 2.0:1, and I doubt a show like Taco Chronicles is really concerned about being cinematic.

·
Registered
26,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
It appears that I've hit the forum software's limit for post length. As a result, I've had to delete most of the text in the first post. The aspect ratio list is attached to that post as a ZIP'ed Excel spreadsheet. Going forward, that will be the only version I update.

·
Premium Member
9,090 Posts
Honestly, I think he's right. As I said, the choice of aspect ratio is an artistic decision, not a technical one. In the case of 2.0:1, that decision may be driven by a desire to fit comfortably onto phone screens.
Problem is, the 2.0:1 is still placed within the 16:9 video image that is distributed, so the phone will display it with letterboxing. Today's phones are meant to handle 16:9 just fine. At least my phone does (LG G6).

·
Registered
26,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
Problem is, the 2.0:1 is still placed within the 16:9 video image that is distributed, so the phone will display it with letterboxing. Today's phones are meant to handle 16:9 just fine. At least my phone does (LG G6).
Many phones have screens wider than 16:9 and will automatically scale to fill the width, cropping the top and bottom of a 16:9 image. My Moto Z3 has a 2160x1080 (2:1) screen. That's pretty common. Your C6 may have a 16:9 screen, but LG also makes a number of 2:1 models including the Q6 and V40. The LG G8 even has a 3120x1440 screen (2.16:1).

·
Registered
149 Posts

·
Registered
26,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
Dead to Me (Netflix) season 2 is 16x9.
That's so weird. Why would the show switch to 16:9 after starting as 2.0:1?

Any chance this can be in a shared Google Sheet?
Unfortunately, I do most of my updates to this sheet from my work computer, and we're blocked from accessing Google Drive.

·
Registered
26,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
The Handmaid's Tale is 2:1 aspect starting season 2.
I don't subscribe to Hulu, but Comcast is offering Handmaid's Tale as part of its "Watchathon Week". The show appears to have been 2.0:1 in season 1 also. Was it always that way, or did Hulu go back and revise the old episodes?

·
Registered
149 Posts
That's so weird. Why would the show switch to 16:9 after starting as 2.0:1?
Yeah, weird for sure. Hard to know why. Too bad, because I like the 2:1 format.

·
Registered
26,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #190 (Edited)
I'm finding conflicting trailers for the Hulu series Dollface. Some are 16:9 and some are letterboxed to 2.0:1. I don't subscribe to Hulu. Can anyone confirm?

Likewise, trailers for Ramy season 1 are 1.85:1 while those for season 2 are 16:9. Is that accurate?

Edit: I was mostly able to confirm this for myself. Comcast is offering a free trial of both shows as part of "Watchathon Week." Dollface is straight 16:9 while the first season of Ramy is very mildly letterboxed. Unfortunately, the second season of Ramy doesn't premiere until later this month.

·
Registered
26,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
Interesting to note that DC's Stargirl has a very wide 2.20:1 aspect ratio, at least the first episode does. The trailers were only 2.0:1. This is the widest I've seen on a broadcast network. I know the show was developed for DC Universe and technically premieres there first, but most of the audience is going to catch it on The CW.

Reactions: dschulz

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Alienist: Angel of Darkness trailer is in 2.0:1. Which I believe will be a first for TNT and something I wish they had done for Snowpiercer.

·
Registered
26,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
From the trailers I've seen, it looks like all the HBO Max launch shows are standard 16:9. If anyone subscribes and finds otherwise, please post here. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,090 Posts
Interesting to note that DC's Stargirl has a very wide 2.20:1 aspect ratio, at least the first episode does.
The first three are.
I know the show was developed for DC Universe and technically premieres there first, but most of the audience is going to catch it on The CW.
Watching via The CW is not the best, as viewing via DCU provides longer episodes and commercial free (no breaks for commercials either).

·
Registered
26,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
Watching via The CW is not the best, as viewing via DCU provides longer episodes and commercial free (no breaks for commercials either).
Perhaps true, but I have no interest in subscribing to DC Universe for anything else, and Stargirl alone is not compelling enough to justify the subscription.

·
Registered
26,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
From the trailers I've seen, it looks like all the HBO Max launch shows are standard 16:9. If anyone subscribes and finds otherwise, please post here. Thanks.
I was able to check out HBO Max this weekend. Contrary to the trailers, it turns out that Love Life is 2.0:1 and Legendary has a variable ratio.

·
Registered
26,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
The first season of Amazon's Hanna was 2.0:1. Trailers for the second season are 16:9.

·
Registered
26,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
The trailer for Showtime's upcoming Love Fraud is an extremely wide 2.56:1, which seems absurd for a docuseries. I would not be surprised if the trailer is overmatted for effect and the actual show has a more common ratio like 16:9 or 2.0:1.

·
Registered
26,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
The first season of Amazon's Hanna was 2.0:1. Trailers for the second season are 16:9.
Another case of trailers lying. The second season of Hanna remains 2.0:1.

·
Registered
27 Posts
TV series being wider than 16:9 is actually something that's older than you might expect since Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is in 1.85:1 way back in 2002, before the popularity of Netflix and smartphones with wider screens. It aired on Nippon TV in Japan but it was initially released straight-to-video by Manga Entertainment in America until many years later when it aired on Adult Swim and then put on streaming in Starz.
SAC_2045 is 16:9, though, despite being almost 20 years after the original series and being made for Netflix, which popularised wider TV series.

Netflix's Tidying Up with Marie Kondo is in 1.90:1.

Adult Swim and Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal is in 2.35:1.

All seasons of The Clone Wars are in 2.35:1 but they aired in pan-and-scan 16:9 for their original Cartoon Network airings (for seasons 1 - 5) but were presented in 2.35:1 in digital, Netflix, Disney+ and Blu-ray. Season 6 was also 2.35:1 in Netflix (where it was released originally) and Blu-ray.

Samurai Jack is also VAR between 4:3, 16:9 and 2.35:1 and many more aspect ratios (framed for 4:3 in Seasons 1 - 4, and 16:9 in Season 5), with one episode (S02E12: XXV - Jack and the Spartans) being almost entirely in an aspect ratio wider than 2.35:1.

181 - 200 of 230 Posts