AVS Forum banner

201 - 220 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's a bit nitpicky for the official list, but S3 E8 (the series Finale) of Dark alternates between 2.0:1 and 2.4:1 and is therefore not CIH safe. I think it's the only such episode out of the 26.

·
Registered
26,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
It's a bit nitpicky for the official list, but S3 E8 (the series Finale) of Dark alternates between 2.0:1 and 2.4:1 and is therefore not CIH safe. I think it's the only such episode out of the 26.
Since the normal OAR for that show is 2.0:1, and no scenes exceed that typical height, I would argue that the episode is still CIH safe even though some scenes are letterboxed more for effect. I think of "not CIH safe" as meaning that some image is either cut off or projected onto your wall (like the flashback scenes in season 2 of Black Monday, which are taller than the show's typical height). I will add a notation to the spreadsheet, though.

Warrior Nun is another 2.0:1 show that periodically has flashbacks letterboxed to 2.35:1.

·
Registered
26,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
TV series being wider than 16:9 is actually something that's older than you might expect since Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is in 1.85:1 way back in 2002, before the popularity of Netflix and smartphones with wider screens. It aired on Nippon TV in Japan but it was initially released straight-to-video by Manga Entertainment in America until many years later when it aired on Adult Swim and then put on streaming in Starz.
SAC_2045 is 16:9, though, despite being almost 20 years after the original series and being made for Netflix, which popularised wider TV series.

Netflix's Tidying Up with Marie Kondo is in 1.90:1.

Adult Swim and Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal is in 2.35:1.

All seasons of The Clone Wars are in 2.35:1 but they aired in pan-and-scan 16:9 for their original Cartoon Network airings (for seasons 1 - 5) but were presented in 2.35:1 in digital, Netflix, Disney+ and Blu-ray. Season 6 was also 2.35:1 in Netflix (where it was released originally) and Blu-ray.

Samurai Jack is also VAR between 4:3, 16:9 and 2.35:1 and many more aspect ratios (framed for 4:3 in Seasons 1 - 4, and 16:9 in Season 5), with one episode (S02E12: XXV - Jack and the Spartans) being almost entirely in an aspect ratio wider than 2.35:1.
Thank you for this. Your post led to significant clean-up of the spreadsheet.

I watched all of Ghost in the Shell: SAC on DVD back in the day but never noticed at the time that the aspect ratio was slightly letterboxed. From what I can tell, the series is not currently streaming on Starz, only on Adult Swim (but not in the Adult Swim section of HBO Max). You can also purchase streaming versions from services such as Amazon and Vudu. To my knowledge, all streaming episodes are English dub only, no Japanese audio. The American Blu-ray has Japanese audio but poor "dubtitles" and poor video quality. The best way to watch this show (with Japanese audio and English subtitles) currently is the Region B Blu-ray from the UK.

The trailer for Tidying Up is 16:9, but I cued up an episode and confirmed a 1.90:1 ratio.

The entire series for Samurai Jack is currently streaming on HBO Max. The standalone Adult Swim app appears to only have Seasons 3-5.

·
Registered
26,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
I have some new updates to the list, but unfortunately the new forum software does not accept ZIP file attachments anymore. I'm going to have to find another way to do this.

In the meantime, the latest additions are:

The Right Stuff - Disney+
World's Most Wanted - Netflix
Maxxx - Hulu
Brassic - Hulu
Tell Me a Story - (CW rebroadcasts of the CBS All Access show)

·
Registered
26,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
I'm able to attach the list if I convert it to a PDF. Unfortunately, this means losing the ability to sort by show title or aspect ratio.

·
Premium Member
9,122 Posts
I have some new updates to the list, but unfortunately the new forum software does not accept ZIP file attachments anymore.
Have you complained about this on the Community Feedback: We Are Live! thread?

Zip files are very universal for file uploading on forums.

·
Registered
26,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
Have you complained about this on the Community Feedback: We Are Live! thread?

Zip files are very universal for file uploading on forums.
Yeah, they told me ZIP files are not allowed anymore for "security reasons," whatever that's supposed to mean. I asked what other alternatives I could try and got no further response.

·
Premium Member
9,122 Posts
Yeah, they told me ZIP files are not allowed anymore for "security reasons," whatever that's supposed to mean. I asked what other alternatives I could try and got no further response.
In theory nasties can be embedded within the zip archive. I'm guessing that they would just rather ban ZIP files instead of running them thru a nasty detector before posting. The only other archive that is popular is RAR. No idea if it is banned as well. If I need to post something in a ZIP archive, I just zip it under linux and make it available on my own server.

·
Registered
26,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
For some reason, the text of the first post in this thread reverted back to what was written on 7/24 even though I'd made updates through 8/4. Although the attached list is fully up-to-date, I lost the shortened list of recently added titles that was in the post. Unfortunately, I don't remember everything I added recently, so I'm just starting that list over.

Again, the attached PDF is fully complete. I just don't have the checklist of what titles are new.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Transplant (CTV) in Canada. NBC premiere date Sept 1. While the NBC promo is 16:9, the series aired on CTV in 2.0:1. Which would be a first for NBC, albeit an acquisition.

·
Registered
26,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Transplant (CTV) in Canada. NBC premiere date Sept 1. While the NBC promo is 16:9, the series aired on CTV in 2.0:1. Which would be a first for NBC, albeit an acquisition.
I will add to the list, but it wouldn't surprise me if NBC decides to crop it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I will add to the list, but it wouldn't surprise me if NBC decides to crop it.
I was wondering about that as well. FWIW, the DVD version of MotherFatherSon (Starz, borrowed from my local library) is full frame 16:9 and not in it's original aspect ratio.

·
Registered
26,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
I've elected to remove The Kasey Musgraves Christmas Show. Despite Amazon labeling it a "season," there was only one episode and it appears to be more of a one-off special than a series.

·
Registered
26,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #214 (Edited)
Netflix's Teenage Bounty Hunters is a very frustrating show, A/V-wise. The series is primarily a 2.00:1 aspect ratio, but episode 3 opens with a scene in 2.35:1 scope for no apparent reason. Episode 5 is 2.00:1 but the letterboxed image is off-center and raised high in the frame, again for no reason. I'm only halfway through the season, so it's possible more anomalies like this may occur later.

On top of that, the show's "HDR" has absolutely nothing outside the SDR range, and its Atmos audio is barely stereo with little to nothing in the surrounds, much less the overheads.

It's a fun show, but the production values have some issues.

·
Registered
26,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
The trailer for Showtime's upcoming Love Fraud is an extremely wide 2.56:1, which seems absurd for a docuseries. I would not be surprised if the trailer is overmatted for effect and the actual show has a more common ratio like 16:9 or 2.0:1.
Interestingly, Love Fraud premiered today and is indeed a super-wide 2.56:1.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Disney+'s MCU shows were 2:1 when they were previewed in Superbowl.
The only exceptions are What If...? which still doesn't have an official trailer or even teaser and Loki, which is in 2.35:1.

·
Registered
26,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
Disney+'s MCU shows were 2:1 when they were previewed in Superbowl.
The only exceptions are What If...? which still doesn't have an official trailer or even teaser and Loki, which is in 2.35:1.
Thanks. I think I'll wait until closer to release when we have full trailers before I add them to the list, but I'll be on the lookout for them.

·
Registered
26,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
Season 2 of Amazon's The Boys has subtitles in the lower letterbox bar, unfortunately.

201 - 220 of 230 Posts